Page 132 of 284 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 2840

Thread: Catnip for split ends?

Account Closed by Member Request
    In the Realm of Innovative Hair Care Methods

Default Re: Catnip for split ends?

Quote Originally Posted by wintersun99 View Post
    Ok - so I'm ready to give this a go. I think that I'll follow a method I read on the other thread where someone mentioned pouring it on her hair and leaving it for 10-15 min. and then rinse out. She mentioned this is beginning to turn her gray's golden. That is my goal.

I wasn't quite clear on the proportions so I used 1 teaspoon of catnip to 1 cup of boiling water. Covered and it is currently steeping. I'm not sure how long to let it steep though... should it be left just until it cools to room temp.?
    I use 1 level tsp to just under 300 ml of water. You can steep it covered until it cools to room temperature or longer, to deepen the colour. The less diluted catnip is the more astringent it is.
    Last edited by ktani; April 10th, 2009 at 09:57 PM. Reason: clarification

Doh, I just had to do a search on conversion tables and I guessed a bit low apparently. 4 oz isn't even close to 300 ml. freakin' metric system! Looks like I need to add another 4 oz to my current mix. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by wintersun99 View Post
    Doh, I just had to do a search on conversion tables and I guessed a bit low apparently. 4 oz isn't even close to 300 ml. freakin' metric system! Looks like I need to add another 4 oz to my current mix. Thanks for the info.
    No just 2. 300 ml is about 10 oz and you need a bit less than that. 1 cup US = 8 oz. I just Googled 300 ml to oz. It is faster, lol.
    Last edited by ktani; April 10th, 2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: clarification

Ok - I'm done with conversions. I'm so tired, I can't remember my math. I think a hot bath and a glass of wine might be a far better plan, than internet, right now. See ya!

*and thanks*

I just added this to the catnip article.

"Covering grey/white hair with catnip can be done most effectively, by first steeping catnip tea longer than just cooled to room temperature, to deepen the colour. All other directions remain the same, including the 1 hour timing. The only other additions are; 1. when removing the bag or other covering, let the hair cool down a bit before rinsing off the catnip, and 2. only rinse with tepid to cool, not warm or hot water."

After rereading the catnip shampoo posts and pms, I think that I have figured out why I got the split ends and knotting.

Catnip is able to remove sebum and clean the scalp and hair without extra oils, conditioner, coatings and leave-ins on it. However, it does leave its own oils and conditioning properties behind, giving the hair some slip and conditioning but also preventing the moisturizing properties from added catnip, applied after the catnip shampoo is rinsed out, to be able to access the hair as well, and be absorbed as much as it can, compared to after shampoo, to help prevent split ends.

Time will tell from more reports, if I am right. ETA: I only used a significantly less amount of catnip once, this last time and that was mostly on my length. The split ends I found were higher up, and I do not believe that they were caused by this one time. I am going back to my former routine with also keeping up with adding catnip to my top canopy layer, which I have been doing for some time now.
    Last edited by ktani; April 11th, 2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: spelling

Length
    20"/47"/64"
    Type
    1a/F/M/iii

Talking Re: Catnip for split ends?

I have a huge problem with split ends. I still need to buy scissors and do a SD session. I will for sure give catnip a try. I don't mind if it colors my hair or not as long as it helps with my split ends problem.

Length
    16/sh/?
    Type
    3a/3b/F/i/ii

I was using more like 12 to 16 oz of water....does this mean that the catnip was not as effective and not effective at all?

Quote Originally Posted by FUNK2LOPEZ View Post
    I have a huge problem with split ends. I still need to buy scissors and do a SD session. I will for sure give catnip a try. I don't mind if it colors my hair or not as long as it helps with my split ends problem.
    Good luck with it and please update!

Quote Originally Posted by wahmof9 View Post
    I was using more like 12 to 16 oz of water....does this mean that the catnip was not as effective and not effective at all?
    As it has been said, catnip is sensitive to changes in the amount of water used. I use just under 300 ml of boiled water to the 1 level tsp. I found 300 ml to be too light for my hair in terms of conditioning. So to answer your question, probably yes.