Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CO vs shampooing: shedding

Default CO vs shampooing: shedding

I always shed globs of hair while co-washing. I thought the reason for this was the fact that I don't brush between washes (I'm curly) so I just shed the amount that should have been shedded between washes.

I had to shampoo yesterday to get rid of cones and, to my huge surprise, I saw a great decrease of shedded hair. Looked like I shed about a half of the usual amount.

Anyone with a similar experience?

I cannot figure out why it happened. Maybe I massage my scalp too rough when co-washing? Do I need to improve my CO technique? My scalp loves CO and positively hates shampoo, but seeing "dead squirrel tail" on my shower floor every time I CO is unnerving.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Default Re: CO vs shampooing: shedding

I noticed the same thing. when i use some kind of shampoo, i shed less. That can be because of too much massaging, as it helps to loosen the already-dead follicles.

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I shed most with coney CO, second most with non-coney CO, and least with shampoo.

I don't use shampoo any more on my scalp though, so I'm just saying that from memory!
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Quote Originally Posted by chopandchange View Post
    I shed most with coney CO, second most with non-coney CO, and least with shampoo.

I don't use shampoo any more on my scalp though, so I'm just saying that from memory!
    May I ask what you use to clean your scalp now?

I really want to reduce shedding; yet I have to keep the scalp happy, too.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by masa_inn View Post
    May I ask what you use to clean your scalp now?

I really want to reduce shedding; yet I have to keep the scalp happy, too.
    Coney conditioner.

Yes, it causes the most shedding for me, but it's the thing my scalp is happiest with, and I have quite thick hair so can afford to lose a few more extra hairs.

It's not like it causes major shedding; just more than cone-free. If I use cone-free I get a more itchy and flaky scalp.

I suppose I could buy an SLS-free shampoo and use that, but they tend to be rather expensive and don't lather up well, in my experience, so you have to use loads to make sure you get some all over.

I can't use SLS on my scalp any more because it causes a severe burning sensation that is quite frightening.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

You could try diluting your shampoo if it's irritating. I've been using the CWC method with diluted shampoo for at least 4 years now, and I don't shed much when I wash my hair - maybe 10-20 hairs.

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

When I started co washing, I noticed I lost less hair, not more. Sure, you lose a small snarl of hair when you comb out, but it was nothing compared to combing conditioner through after washing with shampoo. I left so much hair in the towels after drying off . . . it ended up in the washing machine or lint screen of the drier. Not to mention when I snaked the drain a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamakash View Post
    Not to mention when I snaked the drain a few months ago.
    Oh yes, that was SCARY. Halloween-worthy scary.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I have one of those filters that fits over the plughole to prevent hairs blocking the drain.

Length
    :(/:|/:)
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I shed more with cowashing, too. When I CWC, I shed maybe 5-15 hairs in the shower, and finger comb out probably 5 more while drying. With cowashing, I shed 30-40 in the shower, and still finger comb out 5 or so more while drying. Either method I use, I don't seem to lose a lot between washes - one or two when I detangle in the morning - so it's not like it balances out with how much I lose later.

I'm not sure why that is. I massage a lot when I use shampoo (I use a small amount of various sls free shampoos, so I make sure to massage a lot to break up anything on my scalp) and I generally still end up getting conditioner on my scalp hair when I use the second heavy condish. Heck, my scalp and scalp hair seem to LIKE conditioner and oiling, so I have no idea why it sheds so much if I wash with CO.

I've tried roughly a billiondy different brands for washing conditioner, and my hair seems to be moody with all of them. So I just CWC, and I don't really see a difference in the actual quality of my hair/scalp between that and when I tried CO.