Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Braids Outdated?

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Are Braids Outdated?

Don't get me wrong... I love braids and often wear them myself. In fact, today I wore a diagonal french braid. But...

...I can't help remembering wearing them in the 90s. With 90s clothes. Couple that with the fact that braids are not that common where I live.

Does anyone else feel this way? How do you "modernize" your braids to avoid looking like you're stuck in a time warp?
    Last edited by countryhopper; April 23rd, 2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: adding

Default Re: Are Braids Outdated?

I don't think so at all! Braids are timeless, and especially now, with all of the 'boho' trends going on, I'm seeing them everywhere.

Check out this link:
    http://www.bellasugar.com/Eight-Diff...728?page=0,0,2

I love Isla Fisher's cascade/fairytale braid!

Length
    14"/28"/hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Braids are definitely 'in'....... I live in a college town and you see them everywhere, especially the boho thing like morecowbell said.

Just don't wear the giant 90's bow with it
    Am FINALLY at waist (note to self, update siggy pic)... To maintain or to not maintain (keep growing).... that is now the question

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I think they are fashionable now, especially side-braids.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

I think braiding is a technique that's been used in just about every culture, civilisation, and century.

I assume that, since you are asking this question at all, you are a person who cares about fitting in with the current trends and looking just like everyone else. It sounds like you're worried people will think you are stuck in an 80's or 90's timewarp.

Personally, I couldn't care less about following whatever the current fashion may be! Start your own fashion; that's what I say!
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thanks for the link, morecowbell! It looks like there are lots of headband-y braids now. And the braids that incorporate all the hair are much looser than the 90s braids that were very snug and neatly done.

Hmm. Note to self: try doing more messy braids.

Side note: Did it look like Isla Fisher's braid was a reversed lace braid? Or a large cornrow? I can't tell...

Length
    pixie/Shldr/Clsc
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I know what you are saying, I remember a lot of low braids in the 90's, straight down the back, but I still think they are beautiful
    ~~Lady Cēphisso of the Evercolor Inkwells in the Order of the Long Haired Knights~~
    Shoulder!!!!...on my way to Classic!

Length
    22/27/Waist
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I definitely think they're in. Especially accent braids or a headband braid of some kind, and side braids too. A regular french braid is maybe not quite as trendy, but I still wear them, and I don't think they look too outdated unless you're wearing a huge velveteen scrunchie or something.

Length
    22/27/Waist
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by countryhopper View Post
    T
    Side note: Did it look like Isla Fisher's braid was a reversed lace braid? Or a large cornrow? I can't tell...
    I think it's a fairytale braid. See here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VtZ2ps-yrg

Quote Originally Posted by countryhopper View Post
    Thanks for the link, morecowbell! It looks like there are lots of headband-y braids now. And the braids that incorporate all the hair are much looser than the 90s braids that were very snug and neatly done.

Hmm. Note to self: try doing more messy braids.

You're very welcome!
    I've been messing around with messy braids, too, and I love em!

It looks to me like a fairytale braid, did a google image search, and that's what it looks most like to me... I'd love to learn how to do that!