Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/WL/TB/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Article on greying hair...

I found this on MSN this morning:
    http://health.msn.com/health-topics/...9178&gt1=31036

I'm not so sure I agree that hair cannot be grey on one part and brown on another, because mine has done this many times and so has my mom's. I had long hairs that actually mapped my stress, like rings on a tree. If I measured back in years, I could pretty much name them all after exboyfriends. I only have a couple of grey hairs now, which I'm assuming are permanent due to their solid silvery look. The other ones were just a few inches of dull grey in the middle of an otherwil normal hair. I remember when they were growing out and I thought it strange that a hair would suddenly turn grey mid-shaft like that. I had lots of them and now I don't. They've all grown out by now, so I don't have any proof, but my mom remembers because I showed them to her. You could study my hair and know what kind of winters I've weathered...

Anyone had this happen?

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    long/TB/Class
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Default Re: Article on greying hair...

I think what the article is saying is that a hair can't change color once it's out of the follicle. A follicle can stop producing colored hair, though, so a hair that starts growing normally can suddenly start growing white. I've totally seen those on me. It's pretty cool, I think.

mother of microtrims :P Emichiee's Avatar
    Length
    20/TBL37/CL41
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Yeah hairs can start out brown and then turn grey~ish and later even go brown again. My mother has that, and I had that when my husband was deployed to Iraq, a couple of hairs totally lost their color and regained it later on. I don't have any grey hairs atm.

There is a difference between illness/ heavy stress and age related greying which the msn article did not talk about.

When your ill for example, your follicles often don't work as well, the body saves energy on hair first, its least important to the body (not to us of course).
    That can produce a paler hair that did not get enough melanin (or a rough wiry weird hair, a super fine brittle hair..its simply a "hick up")
    Last edited by Emichiee; April 19th, 2010 at 02:24 AM.

Length
    hip/31"/more!
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I've heard of people getting grays at age 13 and some who never get them. I don't think it's an age thing but more genetics. And the hairs that are white and turn colored again, they do exist.

Length
    17/waist/knee
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Arrow Re: Article on greying hair...

I have had that happen due to stress and jerks in my life. I usually pluck them and never see them again Rejoice
    Lady Cocoa Silk of the Longhaired Knights!
    My beautiful dark chocolate colored hair flowing through the winds
    toward the shaded canopy of chocolate trees.