Thread: Products advice?

Length
    ?/15-27/32
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Products advice?

So, I'm back from almost-waist to bsl after a major chop.

I miss my length but my hair was not in a good condition so probably it's better this way. Anyway, I take it as a fresh start and an opportunity to correct what I was doing wrong.

I have already been wearing my hair up every day for a few months (but I still don't braid it every night).

Another problem is that I suspect my shampoo and conditioner are not right for me. As a shampoo, I'm using Lush New, which I like because it has a great rinsability and doesn't tangle my hair excessively. Plus, I love the smell. But it's probably too stripping, even if as someone with a very oily scalp , I find that my hair is never squeaky enough.

As a conditioner I'm using Garnier Fructis Nutri-Repair. It's quite nice but I feel hat it still leaves my hair lacking slip (I have hair that tangles just looking at it) and in a general way, my lengths feel quite dry. But I can't use a really rich conditioner because my hair is on the finer side so it gets weighted down easily, especially since I tend to produce so much sebum.

What would you suggest as a shampoo and a conditioner? I don't mind cones, in fact I probably need them; but when I use too much my hair is weighted down and looks oily faster.
    Goals: waist, no layers, blunt hemline -- Last haircut in April 2010
    I implore you to forgive my speaking of English, Jonfen, as I'm not so premium with it.

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Products advice?

Have you tried wet oiling? It can help with the dryness but I don't know how it works with fine hair.
    I use Garnier Fructis triple nutrition and my hair seems to like it. But that's cone-free and you said your hair likes cones.

Length
    pixie/14.75/BSL
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii/iii

I'm using long term relationship (both poo and condish) by herbal essences. It's very gentle and moisturizing, yet doesn't weigh down my hair. I also like sunsilk hydra tlc for the same reasons. Both are full of cones! My hair loves cones.
    Lady Leuce, Guardian of the White Tree in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

As long as your hair is happy with what you're using, I don't see any problem. I would advise that from time to time you clarify and then do a moisture treatment to keep your hair moisturized and to get rid of old buildup that can make your hair feel like Velcro.

Also, I can't stress enough what a difference it made for me when I started wearing a night time hairdo. If you don't want to braid, you can always bun your hair right on the top of your head and secure it with a scrunchie. It's very comfortable as there are no lumps and bumps when you lie against the pillow, but it does protect the hair. When my hair was your length and longer, I really did notice the difference. A lot of wear and tear can go on while you're sleeping.

bear of vry little brains x0h_bother's Avatar
    Length
    SL 07/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

One idea is to use heavy conditioners only on the legnth, which I have done because my scalp and the hair right under it has enough sebum. Another thing could be to use a coney leave-in instead of relying on the conditioner for all the slip. I use a serum on my ends where it's curly, some people use oils. GL!
    growwwwww..

if I tug on my hair, will it grow faster?

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Your hair looks lovely

I'd second Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship shampoo and conditioner, if you'd like to try the cones out. I find it doesn't coat my hair, yet makes it easy to detangle (:

Length
    ?/15-27/32
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Loreley View Post
    Have you tried wet oiling? It can help with the dryness but I don't know how it works with fine hair.
    I have, and my hair seems to really like coconut oil, but I eventually stopped because I could never determine the quantity that wouldn't make my hair look oily. Use just a tiny little too much and end up a greaseball untill next shampoo. I think I'll give it another try. Or I could just deep oil before each shampoo, this way I wouldn't be stuck with oily ends for days if I overdid it

I'm considering trying SMT, and I have a kind of silly question about it: do you apply it to your whole head of hair like a CO or only from ears down like regular conditioner? I'm guessing the latter but I want to make sure.
    Goals: waist, no layers, blunt hemline -- Last haircut in April 2010
    I implore you to forgive my speaking of English, Jonfen, as I'm not so premium with it.

I use SMT only like regular conditioner. Thatīs because my scalp is sometimes so itchy and I try to avoid everything that makes it irritated.

If you donīt like to put oil to your ends, try to put it into conditioner and then to ends. That worked for me.

Northern California, where the palm tree meets the pine
    Length
    27/34/38
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

When I do SMT I use it on the scalp, but only leave it for an hour or 2. It actually seems to slow down my oil production; it's usually at least an extra 12 hours before I need to wash.

Length
    17/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I like Tresemme, personally. It has cones but doesn't weigh my hair down or build up. Right now, I'm using the thermal recovery one, and it's really nice and moisturizing.