Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braiding with ribbons? AND making a straight part down the back of your head?

Length
    ???/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Braiding with ribbons? AND making a straight part down the back of your head?

Ok -- so the title of my thread is basically my whole point. I have two questions:

1) How does one include ribbon in a french braid? I saw a pic of Spidermom with ribbon in and really like that look, but have no idea how to do it.

2) When creating double braids or pigtails, does anyone have any tips on making a straight part down the back of my head? My part on top is easy, but down the back... UGH.
    Last edited by SunDreamer76; April 16th, 2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: I referred to Spidermom as Spideymom. SORRY.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Re: Braiding with ribbons? AND making a straight part down the back of your head?

Hi...I'm going to keep checking this thread because I also want to know how to braid with ribbon!

As for parting, I just get my comb and slowly draw a line down the center of the back of my head using my fingers as a guide. I comb one section to the side and secure it with a hair band to get it out of the way. This helps me to braid the loose side...I then braid the other side.

Hope that helps

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Braiding with ribbons? AND making a straight part down the back of your head?

I never bother with a straight part. I just stick my finger through my hair at the middle of my neck and pull half to each side. Half is a relative term here. Sometimes it's even, sometimes not so much.

The easiest way to braid a ribbon in, for me, is to start out with one strand, lay the ribbon across it or underneath it, then start the braid as though each end of the ribbon is the right and left strands. So if I were doing a french braid, it would be left side of ribbon over center, right side of ribbon over center, left strand of hair over center. Then I would start picking up hair to add to the ribbon.

It takes some practice as using a ribbon feels kind of weird. Every once in awhile I hold the strands in one hand and use the other hand to pull the ribbon back up to the surface as it gets buried with hair. Or just be careful that you're always putting the hair that you pick up on the underside of the ribbon. You want it to show. Or not. If I'm in a hurry, I just braid, and the ribbon disappears and then reappears in my braid as I go.

Oh, and if you're just doing a simple 3-strand braid, you put the ribbon under the middle strand and add each side of the ribbon to the right and the left strands of hair.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I've seen images of braids such as dutch braids where every crossed strand has ribbon over it, so likely there are at least three pieces of ribbon being twined in. I've always been confused about how to secure or place the ribbon at the beginning of the braid, and then how to maintain it being on top. I'll be observing as well!

Length
    ???/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    I've seen images of braids such as dutch braids where every crossed strand has ribbon over it, so likely there are at least three pieces of ribbon being twined in. I've always been confused about how to secure or place the ribbon at the beginning of the braid, and then how to maintain it being on top. I'll be observing as well!
    I've always been confused about how to secure or place the ribbon at the beginning of the braid -- that's exactly what confuses me too! I don't really care if they ribbon shows up on top all the time, I kinda like the not-so-perfect look, but I still don't get how you start the braid with the ribbon.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Length
    ???/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    I never bother with a straight part. I just stick my finger through my hair at the middle of my neck and pull half to each side. Half is a relative term here. Sometimes it's even, sometimes not so much.

The easiest way to braid a ribbon in, for me, is to start out with one strand, lay the ribbon across it or underneath it, then start the braid as though each end of the ribbon is the right and left strands. So if I were doing a french braid, it would be left side of ribbon over center, right side of ribbon over center, left strand of hair over center. Then I would start picking up hair to add to the ribbon.

It takes some practice as using a ribbon feels kind of weird. Every once in awhile I hold the strands in one hand and use the other hand to pull the ribbon back up to the surface as it gets buried with hair. Or just be careful that you're always putting the hair that you pick up on the underside of the ribbon. You want it to show. Or not. If I'm in a hurry, I just braid, and the ribbon disappears and then reappears in my braid as I go.

Oh, and if you're just doing a simple 3-strand braid, you put the ribbon under the middle strand and add each side of the ribbon to the right and the left strands of hair.
    Don't you have to tie or attach the ribbon somehow when you start the braid?

P.S. - Thanks for the info! I'm really enjoying reading your posts.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by SunDreamer76 View Post
    Don't you have to tie or attach the ribbon somehow when you start the braid?

P.S. - Thanks for the info! I'm really enjoying reading your posts.
    No, I don't. Once I've got the braid started, that ribbon isn't going anywhere.

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/WL/TB/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

I don't know much about ribbons, but I do know how to make a straight part down the back of my head if I can at least help you with half your problem. Since you know how to make a part on the top of your head, this should be excedingly easy for you.

First, find the centerline on your nape. Lean your head forward a little and follow your fingers up your cervical spine toward your skull. Once you get to your skull, lean your head back a little. Your fingers should be in what feels like a little groove. That's the centerline of the nape. Now that you've touched it, you should remember what that spot feels like.

Now, comb all of your hair straight back and down behind your head (the same path your measuring tape will take for your LHC length measurements).

Take a comb, pick, rat tail, or fingernail and run it along your scalp from your forehead to the point that sticks out most on the top back of your head. Now continue down to that little groove you found earlier. In the same motion, pull all the hair on the side of the arm that you used toward that side. Pull the rest of the hair to the other side.

Check with mirrors to see if it's how you want it but it should be perfectly straight and right in the middle.
    Last edited by GoddesJourney; April 16th, 2010 at 12:34 PM.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    21"/39"/44"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Ribbons? Really easy!
    When you start a braid you have 3 sections. Fold your ribbon in two and place it in a such way that the middle where it folded is right at the start of the braid and both parts of the ribbon run along 2 of the hair sections (I usually choose the left and right one, but placing the ribbon along the middle one works too). Then braid as usual.

ETA: I think there's a tutorial with pictures in the Articles section, if you still confused or prefer visual guidance like moi.
    Last edited by Heidi_234; April 16th, 2010 at 02:47 PM.

Soft hair that is nice to sit on - now I'm bragging!

Length
    shldr/~tbln/clsc
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I find a metal-ended rat tail comb is the best way to make a straight part. I try to line up the part with the center of my nose, and use the tail end to draw a line all the way back. The end works really well to make a sharply defined part, but practice makes perfect!

I haven't really used a lot of ribbons in the past, but I definitely want to start working with them more. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
    So very close to tailbone!