2b/F/i/ii

Default April 2010: The Cinnamon Bun

Let the posting begin!

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default Re: April 2010: The Cinnamon Bun

I'm down. I can french braid others just fine, but can't for the life of me. When I've had someone else to help french braid my hair, I still didn't want to go around for the rest of the day with the length dangling down (fuzz city!). I took the length and cinnamon bunned it, spearing a stick through it to secure it.

If, in the future, I have a bad string of luck and can't get a stick to work I either supplement it with a bobby pin or two, or I put some claw clips around it.

I haven't uploaded a recent picture of a regular ol' braided cinnamon bun, nor an unbraided cinnamon bun, so if I happen to do that in the future I may have to remember to come back here.

ETA: Actually I do have an image in my gallery of the braided cinnamon bun held with a flexi-8, but it's not quite my clearest shot!
    Last edited by Gumball; April 16th, 2010 at 11:15 AM.

Length
    :(/:|/:)
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

This is pretty much the only bun I can do. /talent As long as I remember to weave the stick/fork in and out to catch the coil and the scalp hair, it'll stay all day.

Length
    APL/TB/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Oh, cool a new section of the board!

I don't usually wear cinnabuns, because somehow they always pull at my scalp hair if I use a hairstick, but if I use one of my favorite (discontinued, sadly) claw clips, it doesn't pull, and it stays until I take it down.

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Here's my contribution, held with a metal fork.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Account Closed by Member Request

Yay, a hairstyle of the month section! Thank you so much, lovely mods! And the cinnamon bun, my go-to hairstyle for every day!

Now for a picture or three...

This is a cinnamon bun held with a couple of Quattro StarLites:

A cinnamon bun held with a medium Lotus Ficcare in matte gold:

And finally a three-strand cinnamon bun, similar to a braided beehive. Please excuse the greasies, it was done during the early stages of WO. And please excuse the messiness and the elastic showing, it was the first time I did that style:

(All pics clickable thumbnails.)

The way I do this style: I start by gathering all my hair in a ponytail, but do not secure it with an elastic. I twist the ponytail clockwise until it starts to coil around itself. I try to keep the style flat with one hand and lead the coil to go around the inner parts rather than on top of it (if the latter happens it is called a bee-butt bun). When I run out of hair I tuck the ends under and secure the do with a hairtool of choice - usually a Ficcare or a pair of sticks, sometimes a fork or even three Amish pins. I love this style and do it almost every day!

For the three-strand cinnabun I gather all my hair in a ponytail and secure it with an elastic. I separate the ponytail into three equal sections, as if I was about to braid it. I take one section and coil and wrap it around the elastic like a regular cinnabun. When Im out of hair I secure it with a pin. Then I take the second strand of hair and do the same, going around the first coil. Finally I do the same with the third strand of hair. I learned it from this YouTube video. I wish my hair was as lovely as that of the lady in the video!

A quick question to the mods: What are the privacy settings for this new subforum? Can it be seen by the whole world wide web, or just by registered members? The sticky written by Flaxen did not enlighten me on this question. Thanks! ETA: Scratch that, I found it.
    Last edited by Calista; April 16th, 2010 at 01:24 PM.

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

What a brilliant new thread!

I have problems with securing a cinnabun. My hair is very thick, coarse, and has layers. I know just about everyone here raves about hairsticks, but hairsticks are no use in my hair. They just don't hold the weight, and come right out. I think I am doing it right. I have read numerous articles and watched numerous videos on ways to "weave" them through my hair, but they just don't work for me.

I bent some DPN knitting needles. On clean dry hair, I can't get them to stay. They slip out, too. If my hair is wet or has conditioner in it, they do stay, but they hurt my head after just a few minutes and I have to keep on readjusting them.

I have not yet tried multiple small claw clips round the outside of the cinnabun. I need to get some of those and give it a try. I think that might work better because the weightbearing sensation would be distributed amongst several small points, rather than one large one (ouch). Other than that, does anyone have any tips?

I love all your photos!
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

If you make several strands, I've done up to four, you can make a cinnabun that covers your head. This is a very easy style to do, and looks very classy.
    Last edited by wonhwa; April 16th, 2010 at 07:00 PM.

Length
    Chin/Hip/Hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii/iii

I don't have a picture to post yet, but I have question, I think the rules said asking questions is OK. Whenever I try to do a cinnamon bun it wraps too tightly, so all the twists go on top of one another next to the scalp. So it looks like a giant knot with the first twist sticking out behind my head and all the others wrapping around the base. I don't know how to get it to lay flat and show the "swirls." What am I doing wrong, maybe twisting too tightly? Any advice is appreciated, thanks. MODS: if this type of post is not allowed, please remove, thanks.

Length
    Ear/TBL/CL
    Type
    3b/M/i

first picture post test
    it was too big

lets try again
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ictureid=69615
    or just paste the link
    Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist-Hip-TBL-Classical-MTL-Knee---Onward and Downward