Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Securing hair in an updo

Length
    13in/42/Term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Securing hair in an updo

I have found so much useful information on these pages but I have not found an answer to this: what can you use and how do you use things to hold your hair in an updo? I have fine hair to my waist and have learned some great updos but the bobby pins are just not holding all the weight anymore and I have to use so many of them just to get it somewhat secure. I now have resorted to tiny claw clips but they are so visible. I also do not know how to hide the ends of my hair. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Securing hair in an updo

You can use hairsticks or forks. And there are big hairpins which are also good.

Length
    12/46/knee
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Good Hair Days pins for the win. You can get them at Sally's. They are a fine-haired person's updo best friend.

Slow day: Didn't have much to do, so spent three hours on LHC. Busy day: Managed to work in three hours of LHC. Bad day: Barely squeezed in three hours on LHC.

Length
    Shldr/HL-32/CL~42
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Hair sticks are my personal favorite. They come in lots of styles and pretty colors.

And I second the Good Hair Days pins linked above. They truly are amazing little things.
    SHLDR --> APL --> BSL --> WST --> HIP --> TBL --> CLASSIC

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I have found that it's the technique, even more than the hair toy, that holds hair securely. Look at some of the bun threads I've started here to find links to directions for various buns. Also, hair forks tend to hold very well, especially those that have a minimum of 3 prongs (though, personally, I'm more of a hair-stick gal).
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    18/25.5/waist
    Type
    3a/M/iii

I agree re: hair forks (and sticks, though I find forks to be more secure) and technique being the key. Watching lots of Youtube tutorials on different types of buns has helped me figure out how to use my hairtoys to hold updos more securely.
    Big chopped to jaw length last year - working on growing it back out to waist length!

http://i39.tinypic.com/dcfriu.jpg

Length
    33/33/class
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

hair forks
    hair sticks
    Amish pins- they make them crimped now for fine haired ppl like myself. I love them!
    Good hair days hairpins- another personal fave when I can't use a fork or stick
    Lady Grainne
    Handmaiden to the Goddess Morrigan
    In the Order of the Long Haired Nights

Rodent Of Unusual Size Capybara's Avatar
    Length
    chin/BCL/clsc
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

If you're looking to hide the ends of your hair, you may want to look into some new styles Have you ever tried a sock bun, or something similar?

I second the hair sticks/forks. So easy to use, yet so secure!!

You can also use headbands/scarves to help hide the ends. I really like this style: Renaissance Bun

HTH!

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

I'd like to add a good word for hair scroos. They are amazing and hold very very well. For me, better than Amish pins or other hair pins. For invisible hold, scroos cannot be beaten IMO.

For visible hold, take a good look at flexi 8s and ficcares ;-) Beautiful, well made, solid hold and many updo options.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I agree that technique can play a big part. That's why two heads of identical hair can have such vastly different reactions to using hair sticks, for example.

I have yet to practice with good days pins again after my failed attempt years ago (go figure I was putting them in incorrectly then). I do use sticks, bobby pins, or a flexi-8. My hair is just past hip, too, and it's up every single day.