Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greasy scalp questions

Length
    apl/hip/clsc+
    Type
    2c/M/i

Default Greasy scalp questions

So after one day after I wash my hair, it gets a bit greasy already. Not dripping-greasy, but still. I've heard that if you just wait a bit longer to wash and sort of "train" your hair that way, it gets greasier less quickly. I've tried that a lot but it doesn't change anything. (it did have some effect when I was younger, but not anymore)

It makes no difference whether I used shampoo or did a CO wash either. Even if I'm really careful not to get the conditioner anwhere near my scalp, it's the exact same result.

Any advise or ideas?

Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: Greasy scalp questions

How can you CO wash without getting conditioner near your scalp?

Also, you might want to try WO.

Length
    19/21/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Maybe try brushing with a boar bristle brush to distribute the oils? I usually do that on the last day before I wash to make my hair more presentable.

Edit: Just saw your hair type, you might be too curly to brush, sorry! Otherwise, if you do a CWC or regular S&C, make sure to condition only from the ears down.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I read that they've actually done studies with sensors attached to the scalp that measure oil output, and they concluded that the scalp produces the same amount of oil per day whether it's washed or not. However, I've noticed a lot of people around here who claim that the less they washed their hair, the less oily it became. I'm skeptical. I decided I wanted to wash my hair once per week only, but by the 4th day, my head was an oil slick. I only tried this for 2 weeks before I decided to the devil with it, and now I wash my hair/head whenever I think they need to be washed - even more than once a day if I've done something to get extraordinarily sweaty/dirty or the snake annoints me with his musk - pee-yew!

Length
    BSL/TB+/??
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

If I'm having trouble with my hair being greasy at the scalp, but I still want to stretch out the time until wash day I use a little bit of corn starch. Just a dab on my finger tips, then rub into the scalp, then a light dab more until the grease is absorbed to a level I can stand. If you use a very little it stays hidden in your hair, if you use a lot, a brush or comb will pull out the excess.
    October 2009

bear of vry little brains x0h_bother's Avatar
    Length
    SL 07/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

If there is truely no difference in grease between poo every day and CO, why not CO every day until you have buildup and want to clarify? I wish I could do that, but CO makes mine greasier. If you're feeling bad about washing every day, you are not alone, I find it necessary too. If waiting doesn't work for you, then it doesn't, but you might get your hair in really nice condition if you CO everyday.
    growwwwww..

if I tug on my hair, will it grow faster?

I've tried all sorts of different methods, and for me, it seems I just have a greasy scalp. It's hormonal for me, I think, and I suffer the same as you mention - especially if I'm indoors in an environment with "bad air" (like forced heat). I just wash as needed now - usually it's in the morning, with an SLS-free shampoo. Sometimes I'll use a styling powder if I need to, and that helps, but I've made peace with my grease. ;-)

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I've read many things on the internet that have basically described it this way:

Your hair produces sebum to protect the scalp and hair. Shampoo strips it. Scalp produces more. Shampoo strips it. Repeat.

I used to have to shampoo EVERYDAY without fail or risk looking like a grease monkey. Then I began to read info on no poo/no condish. So I began to use dilluted baking soda water (just 1 tablespoon or less in a cup of warm water) massaged in my scalp and rinsed with tea.

Transition for me took a good two weeks to get over the incredibly greasy stage. Washing with an egg took care of major greasies once, too.

Now, almost 6 months later, I can wash using the above only twice a week. It DOES take a little while for your scalp to calm down and not produce as much sebum as it was used to doing in the past. But it CAN happen, but spacing out washings will eventually train it.

Length
    apl/hip/clsc+
    Type
    2c/M/i

Wow, thats for all the advise guys! You're really helpful

BTW @ Peter: I meant to say I don't get the conditioner on my scalp when I wash with shampoo XD That didn't sound very logical indeed haha

ETA: I could try a BBB, NuclearMosquito. My hair is very brushable The texture is mixed and changes all the time =D
    Last edited by Pallas; April 16th, 2010 at 03:48 AM.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

I read somewhere that corn starch acts like a dry shampoo and soaks the excess sebum. Haven't tried it though.

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic