Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hairstyles for hats

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default hairstyles for hats

So I REALLY need to start wearing hats...

The problem is I usually have my hair up in a clip or peacock twist with a stick and my floppy cloth hat doesn't fit over those styles.

Hat wearers and head covering wearers, How do you style your hair to cover it? And do you leave it on all day, or take it off when indoors? How do you prevent hat hair??

Length
    apl/hip/clsc+
    Type
    2c/M/i

Default Re: hairstyles for hats

I like to swoop my hair in a low bun (elegant, messy, whatever style I feel like) and I often do it on the side. I wear that with fedora-ish hats and caps and beanies. It looks nice with other hats as well, though; all sorts of summer hats and whatnot. I also wear it in a loose braid to the side often. Looks a bit more informal and I l;ike to wear it with caps and beanies and in winter.

Length
    waist/44/44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Last year, I think I wore double braids when I wore hats. I bought a flat crowned Amish hat so I have at least one sun hat that will work with buns. It looks like this:

Amish hat.
    My routine has changed since starting to use Rogaine regularly to try to regain some thickness. I still cleanse every other day, but I use T/Sal shampoo, followed by my beloved Suave Wild Cherry conditioner. A vinegar rinse and catnip leave in follow.

When I wear hats, I either have a braid or a bun at the nape of my neck. I think a bun is good because it also protects your hair from the sun if the brim is wide enough. As for preventing hat hair, if you are careful when you put it on and take it off, it shouldn't be much of a problem because your hair is tied up in a style.

Length
    22"/28"/32"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Beanies are good with low plaits and buns. I'm sure berets would work well with these styles too.
    Ok, most hats made with soft materials!

Speaking of which, I'd love to dig out my beret and experiment..... I shall do that this weekend. *hunts for diary*
    "I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about."
    Oscar Wilde.

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thanks for the replies! I'll have to put them to good use!

Maybe we should start a new challenge of wearing hair covered when outside...!

Length
    20 in/44.5/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by countryhopper View Post
    Maybe we should start a new challenge of wearing hair covered when outside...!

Oooh, I would definitely take this challenge! I need the motivation to plan ahead to not get caught outside without a covering. I do keep a scarf in my purse since I cover for worship services and prayer, but somehow I do not put anything on to go walk the dog, walk with the family, go to parks, etc.

I found myself just yesterday walking with my family and dh led us on a route that took us in the broad sun for nearly half a mile. All I could think the whole time was how I should have worn a hat!

I LOVE the Amish bonnets linked above. I have something similar but not shaped quite so well for accommodating buns. I think I'll add some ribbon to tie under my chin and go hang it by the front door and start really using it!

Thanks for the encouragement!
    43.5 in....monthly 1/4-inch trims since Dec 2009
    Finally embracing my locks in their natural beauty
    "...for if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her..."

Side braids work for me... I'm not sure if your hair is long enough though. If not, I've made a super flat peacock twist fit under pretty much every kind of hat and scarf.

Type
    2c/M/ii

A couple wks ago, I actually asked my manager if we can work hats at work - yes! I keep them on. I have bangs so once it's on, taking it off isn't really an option LOL

ETA: I leave my hair loose when wearing them. I've seen some women do a side braid, and would like to try that, too.
    Last edited by Forever_Sophie; April 15th, 2010 at 09:24 AM. Reason: Forgot something!

During the winter, I wear berets all the time -- they've become one of my most noted trademarks. They're handy because, being flexible, they're adaptable to many hairstyles. Even if I'm wearing a bun that's somewhat high, I can sort of drape the back of the hat above it instead of pulling it down as low as I normally would. This enables me to go out at lunchtime and put my hat on without having to fuss with my hairstyle.