Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream

ship me back to bahston Patrycja's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL!!/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

I just might have to make this next.Straight shea isn't working but I don't want to give up yet Is this better with cones or non-cones for the conditioner?
    Lady Lakshmi of the Endless Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    20"/42"/term
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

I might have to give it a go again, my hair has been worse than dry lately (which makes no sense since it's like 99.99% humidity constantly here.)
    ~Ny
    Lady Nynaeve of the Sword in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Inflammatory Breast Cancer - No Lumps, Not detected by mammograms.
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=63326

"Some women don't want the land, or gold. Just the man..." ~Nynaeve
    "For in the plot we find more than just a man, we find the idea of that man, the spirit of that man, and that is what we must never forget." Evey (V)

Length
    ?/BSL+3/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I'm going to have to give this recipe a try as I have 16 oz. of coconut oil, 8 oz. (or more?) of jojoba oil, and 8 oz. of natural shea butter laying around that I was unsure what to do with.

Thanks for starting this thread Anje!

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

*sigh*

I suppose that I'm going to have to accept the fact that shea butter does NOT work on my hair at all. This treatment felt lovely when I applied it, but made my hair feel dry and crunchy. I've had weird results with shea before, but I was hoping this would be the exception that would allow it to work for me.

I think it may be due to the fact that I have a slight latex sensitivity. From what I've read, the natural latex in shea butter does not always trigger problems for people with latex sensitivities, and I keep hoping maybe that means shea will work for me. I'm going to stop trying to make it work now and move on to other experiments.

Anje, thank you anyway for this thread. It's always fun to try new things and to learn what works for you and what does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve View Post
    I might have to give it a go again, my hair has been worse than dry lately (which makes no sense since it's like 99.99% humidity constantly here.)
    It's the same way here (Atlanta, GA), and for some reason, my hair has been insanely dry lately. I don't really understand it.
    Lady Tiamat of the Dragon Horde in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Founding Member of the (Second Incarnation of the) Official Hair Idiots Club ~ "Goobering One Style At a Time".

Length
    short/28/30+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream

Is there any reason why one couldn't scrape off some coconut oil, some shea, and add a few drops of condish and just emulsify it in one's hands?

I only ask because I don't have a whole lot of shea left and I don't want to waste it making a big batch until I know which condish I want to use.

What kind of condish do people like best here? V05 or something heavier?
    Last edited by Bucatini; July 8th, 2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo

Length
    Chin/BSL/W-H
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

With those proportions, does the smell of the shea butter come through? I could probably cope with a slight hint of it, but I wouldn't want it to dominate, and the shea butter I have is pretty strong stuff.

I'd probably use my favourite shampoo, Mistry's Ginseng Herbal, of which the ingredients are water, sunflower oil, wheatgerm oil, Korean ginseng, marigold, rose, beetroot, nettle, chamomile, henna. Should that be OK? I tried a similar conditioner from the same range in a SMT last night, and it turned the consistency to that of soup.
    I have opted out of the "friends" system. Please do not send me any friending requests.

I can't wait to try this! thanks so much for posting your recipes
    Almost waistlength (with lots of layers) golden blonde hair with light blonde highlights.
    Light blue eyes.

1b/f/ii

Length
    ?/56.5/50
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

n3m3sis42, I made a batch of conditioning creme but I used cocoa butter instead of shea butter. For the conditioner I used the Sally's version of Biolage conditioning balm. It seems to be working very well for me!

Mariah
    "Sorry don't get it done, Dude." -- John Wayne in "Rio Bravo"
    ?/56.5/50~2b/c~ii (I'm 5'4" tall)

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by OR Cowgirl View Post
    n3m3sis42, I made a batch of conditioning creme but I used cocoa butter instead of shea butter. For the conditioner I used the Sally's version of Biolage conditioning balm. It seems to be working very well for me!

Mariah
    Thank you so much for letting me know about this! I have been wondering if I could get it to work with cocoa butter. Now I'll definitely have to try it!
    Lady Tiamat of the Dragon Horde in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Founding Member of the (Second Incarnation of the) Official Hair Idiots Club ~ "Goobering One Style At a Time".

Length
    1/TB!!/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I used to use this a lot back when my hair was a bleached, several times colored mess, and it really helped with both the feel and appearance of it.
    2abc/f/ii, almost done growing out henna after 5+ years. Maintaining at tailbone in an attempt to thicken up the ends.
    ~ Blog ~ Albums ~ Style articles ~