Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unhealthy gray?

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Unhealthy gray?

Does developing a few gray hairs at say around 30 have anything to do with the overall health of a person? I have developed quite a few suddenly. Also a stylist commented that my gray hairs looked unnaturally thin & curly I have had a complete check up with my doc' & my hemoglobin, thyroid everything was fine. Is it just a natural process?

Another question I had was that my hair has thinned down to almost one fourth of what it was. I had some serious postpartum shedding & also some flat iron damage. Is there a chance my hair will ever be back to what it was or this is what I will have to be happy with?
    SANA
    ultrashort/APL/tailbone

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I have noticeable grey and I'm only 29. I like to think I'm healthy. Mine do the weird curly thing as well. I think it's just a new grey thing.

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

It's not unusual to start getting grey hairs at 30 years old, and it's fairly common for the grey hairs to be a different texture to your "regular" hair. I wouldn't pay much attention to the "unhealthy" comment from your stylist, especially if you've been checked out by the doctor and you know you're healthy.

I'm not an expert on post-partum shedding, but I would say that if you've lost hair from heat damage, give it time, and your hair should thicken up again. It will be slow, but hopefully you'll see some baby hairs coming through soon. Make sure you're nutrition is good, and maybe consider taking some vitamins for hair? Scalp massage with certain essential oils can help, too.

Stick with it! Things will improve.

-- Natalie
    Last edited by Nat242; May 4th, 2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: To clarify

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I read that hair will go prematurely gray because of lack of sufficient B-vitamins, particularly B6 (to the best of my memory). You might want to make sure that your ferritin and folic acid levels are normal.

Get rid of that flat iron; it is a major obstacle in the road to healthy hair.

Length
    27/33/36
    Type
    1b/F/ii

It can happen as a result of bad health, but more likely it is a natural process. Grey or white hair rarely looks like your other hair ...the texture is usually different.

It's the same with thinning ....it can be caused by poor health or damage, but it also happens with age.

When I was your age, I noticed the hair in my crown area was becoming thin, and it never improved. I learned that layers were not for me because my hair was so thin that you could "see-through" it, so against all of the hairdresser's styling advice, I knew an "all one length" haircut was best for me. I also learned that certain updos would not work because it was thin on top.

It's annoying but eventually you learn to work around these issues. If you don't believe me, have a look at my photo album http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...hp?albumid=311

Length
    pixie/bsl/bsl
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I found my first gray hair at 12, and I'm now a few months shy of my 21st birthday with more and more silver hairs cropping up every day. I realize my case is on the unusual side, but finding a few grays around age 30 doesn't seem strange to me at all.

One odd thing about mine--they're all straight, whereas the rest of my hair is curly.

~~CurlyNinja~~3A/M/ii~~

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I have quit using a flat iron since last nov. Frizzinator I love all those updos. Your hair looks beautiful in them. I have to say that my hair has thinned on my crown....but it was always less in that area I guess. I do have lots of baby hair around my face but I still doubt my hair will be as thick as it was. Thank you all for the replies.
    SANA
    ultrashort/APL/tailbone

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I started going grey at 23 and was in perfect health but for my iron deficiency anemia which was being treated.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/M/iii

I have major graying and it mostly occurred when i was younger. I have heard comments that I should check my health because "I was probably going gray because there was something wrong and it was a sign of ill health or stress" What ever.. dude. I am gray because I am gray. My mother isn't as gray. My sisters aren't very gray. I am gray. Because I am.

I am overweight. Considerably. I still have amazing rhythm and could out dance most of my daughter's friends, but I am large. That also makes a lot of people think I am "unhealthy."

I am fat and gray so how could I be healthy?

My blood pressure is 119/69
    My cholesterol is 189
    My thyroid is good
    My hormones are good
    I am 47
    My mammo is good

I am fat, fabulous and healthy.

Don't listen to people. Listen to your body

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SurprisingWoman View Post
    I have major graying and it mostly occurred when i was younger. I have heard comments that I should check my health because "I was probably going gray because there was something wrong and it was a sign of ill health or stress" What ever.. dude. I am gray because I am gray. My mother isn't as gray. My sisters aren't very gray. I am gray. Because I am.

I am overweight. Considerably. I still have amazing rhythm and could out dance most of my daughter's friends, but I am large. That also makes a lot of people think I am "unhealthy."

I am fat and gray so how could I be healthy?

My blood pressure is 119/69
    My cholesterol is 189
    My thyroid is good
    My hormones are good
    I am 47
    My mammo is good

I am fat, fabulous and healthy.

Don't listen to people. Listen to your body
    Amen :

-- Natalie