Page 1312 of 1317 FirstFirst ... 31281212121262130213101311131213131314 ... LastLast
Results 13,111 to 13,120 of 13167

Thread: The braid picture thread

  1. #13111
    Member tuanyiji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    China
    Posts
    526
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: The braid picture thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zashin66 View Post
    a curious thing is that if you put a hair elastic in the hair at the tip of the crochet braid it won’t unravel.
    Thank you
    I guess so, but I have since opted for an elastic tie free life since I started my long hair journey for minimum mechanical damage (i also finger comb only now to reduce friction). I guess if I pick a much smaller section for this, it would actually be a very cool accent braid, I could just pin it to the side of my bun. I will try it next time.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; August 6th, 2022 at 02:38 AM.
    93.5cm 1b/C/10cm Fingercomb/Bun-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][LWB Variations]

  2. #13112

    Default Re: The braid picture thread

    It looks pretty, though! IIRC, I only get two loops as well.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

  3. #13113
    Member zashin66's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,064
    Length
    Pixie/58”/74”
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: The braid picture thread

    Quote Originally Posted by tuanyiji View Post
    Thank you
    I guess so, but I have since opted for an elastic tie free life since I started my long hair journey for minimum mechanical damage (i also finger comb only now to reduce friction). I guess if I pick a much smaller section for this, it would actually be a very cool accent braid, I could just pin it to the side of my bun. I will try it next time.
    I would not be able to function with out hair ties (elastics). I only use cloth covered ones and metal free as well. I take the brush through every couple of days due to leaving braids in for days at a time. My hair is too thick to only finger comb all the time. I tried that for a while but I just love the scratching you get when brushing. It feels so good on my scalp. Like a scalp massage. Hair sticks are great for scratching as well. My hair causes my scalp to sweat under the bun. When I wear my hair down it’s like having a light shawl on. In winter when my hair is down I literally can’t stand a heavy jacket. So since my hair is down a good bit of the time it can get a little tangled.
    As Lady Shannon of the Dragon Knights of Caere Mountain, a sect of the order of the long haired knights. I wish everyone a beautiful moment each day...

  4. #13114
    Member knobbly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,083
    Length
    27.5"/41"/41"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/iii

    Default Re: The braid picture thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zashin66 View Post
    I would not be able to function with out hair ties (elastics). I only use cloth covered ones and metal free as well. I take the brush through every couple of days due to leaving braids in for days at a time. My hair is too thick to only finger comb all the time. I tried that for a while but I just love the scratching you get when brushing. It feels so good on my scalp. Like a scalp massage. Hair sticks are great for scratching as well. My hair causes my scalp to sweat under the bun. When I wear my hair down it’s like having a light shawl on. In winter when my hair is down I literally can’t stand a heavy jacket. So since my hair is down a good bit of the time it can get a little tangled.
    Yeah same. I’ve tried, but tying knots with small pieces of string is too fiddly for me (plus they slip out and take a long time to place correctly so they maybe won’t slip) and my hair is too slippery in general to use tiny claw clips or just leave it like some people do. I try to only use the soft nylon type of hair ties, but sometimes I need to use the thin silicone ones and nothing else will do.
    At my goal length of Classic after 2.5 years here at the LHC.
    (still growing though lol)

  5. #13115
    Member zashin66's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,064
    Length
    Pixie/58”/74”
    Type
    2a/2b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: The braid picture thread

    Quote Originally Posted by knobbly View Post
    Yeah same. I’ve tried, but tying knots with small pieces of string is too fiddly for me (plus they slip out and take a long time to place correctly so they maybe won’t slip) and my hair is too slippery in general to use tiny claw clips or just leave it like some people do. I try to only use the soft nylon type of hair ties, but sometimes I need to use the thin silicone ones and nothing else will do.
    I was interested in some of the YouTube videos that demonstrated how remotely old time hairdos might have been kept in place before modern tools were available. The Roman and Greek cultures were quite elaborate at times and the Norsemen had specific updos that meant things as Warriors status etc. The string or sew in methods are still in use for sew in wigs and hair pieces. Even some hairdos have specific meanings in the popular cultural references of today on the Internet and other places. So I guess if some believe in no hair ties and others need to use hair ties this particular website is a great place to celebrate diversity. I love to see all the differences displayed here. It helps in a world where so many are taught “you don’t belong because of this or that”. I have always been different and a thinker of my very different thoughts from those around me. I absolutely love meeting so many others around the world. I have learned that we are all in need of loving acceptance and caring attention no matter our differences. That’s why I love LHC. I hope everyone is having that beautiful moment today. Maybe I’ll do some Dutch braids today. If I do I’ll post a picture with the help of son. He gets a kick out of helping me with that.
    Last edited by zashin66; August 8th, 2022 at 02:40 AM.
    As Lady Shannon of the Dragon Knights of Caere Mountain, a sect of the order of the long haired knights. I wish everyone a beautiful moment each day...

  6. #13116
    Member tuanyiji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    China
    Posts
    526
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: The braid picture thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zashin66 View Post
    I was interested in some of the YouTube videos that demonstrated how remotely old time hairdos might have been kept in place before modern tools were available. The Roman and Greek cultures were quite elaborate at times and the Norsemen had specific updos that meant things as Warriors status etc. The string or sew in methods are still in use for sew in wigs and hair pieces. Even some hairdos have specific meanings in the popular cultural references of today on the Internet and other places. So I guess if some believe in no hair ties and others need to use hair ties this particular website is a great place to celebrate diversity. I love to see all the differences displayed here. It helps in a world where so many are taught “you don’t belong because of this or that”. I have always been different and a thinker of my very different thoughts from those around me. I absolutely love meeting so many others around the world. I have learned that we are all in need of loving acceptance and caring attention no matter our differences. That’s why I love LHC. I hope everyone is having that beautiful moment today. Maybe I’ll do some Dutch braids today. If I do I’ll post a picture with the help of son. He gets a kick out of helping me with that.
    I know what you are talking about, one of them must be Janet Stephens, right? I am a big fan and watched all her videos to get many inspirations: https://youtube.com/user/jntvstp
    Morgan Donner also had a video about an elastic free life for a year: https://youtu.be/dpT86z93Ec8

    In the ancient times, when elastic was not really an option, they have developed many clever ways to handle the end of the braid, and ribbons, threads and metal could be so useful.

    The most common questions arise in many traditional Chinese hairstyle tutorials are similar: do they make hair this way? With elastics? How did they have so much hair anyway?
    Well, no elastics, but they had threads, leather strips, pins, so many different kinds of sticks, and the ancient Chinese were not allowed to cut their hair randomly (unless it was a punishment or an ugly divorce), it was almost guaranteed that they had at least classic length hair by adulthood, and they also made wigs/extensions from their own sheds and animal furs, they sometimes even used wood blocks as a prop, that’s why we have so many huge buns and loops.


    I’m now at a stage where I can live without elastic ties or combs, I don’t even need a stick when my nautilus bun can stay secure for a solid eight-hour, and I use the pull over in the middle method for my long elastic-free braid that also stays intact after my whole night’s sleep.
    Long hair can be so easy to handle if you have the right trick up your sleeve.


    I’m looking forward to your new braid.
    I usually set my phone on a tripod and film myself, then I screencap to get the most detailed angles.
    But if your son loves doing it, that’s a nice bonding time.
    My dad takes picture with all the weird angles lol.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; August 8th, 2022 at 03:22 AM.
    93.5cm 1b/C/10cm Fingercomb/Bun-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][LWB Variations]

  7. #13117
    Member shelomit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,105
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

    Default Re: The braid picture thread

    I enjoyed your little dances, tuanyiji!

  8. #13118
    Member tuanyiji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    China
    Posts
    526
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: The braid picture thread

    Quote Originally Posted by shelomit View Post
    I enjoyed your little dances, tuanyiji!
    lol thank you.
    I am still learning new hairstyles every day, I work on my mannequins though for the close-to-scalp plaiting, this way I won’t damage my hair with too much friction while have hairy fun.

    I spent the past year and a half filming various braids and plaits while my hair grew from waist to hip, but this year I focus more on bunning.

    I intend to be a no trimmer and use my own head and film various styles at hip to tailbone length as a reference for other long hairs, I might even repeat this process when I hit classic/mid-thigh/knee/calf and beyond, to see what difference the length brings. This would also be a profound record of my own growth, both hair and technique.

    There are just still too few videos on the internet for the real long hairs, most hair influencers who have mid-back length and call themselves long hair, it just seems ridiculous to me now.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; August 8th, 2022 at 10:13 PM.
    93.5cm 1b/C/10cm Fingercomb/Bun-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][LWB Variations]

  9. #13119
    Member Ada-banana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    216
    Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: The braid picture thread

    I really love this video, I'm going to try the double bun.

    Nice garden too!

    BSL - WL - Classic

  10. #13120
    Member tuanyiji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    China
    Posts
    526
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TERM
    Type
    1b/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: The braid picture thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ada-banana View Post
    I really love this video, I'm going to try the double bun.

    Nice garden too!
    Thank you
    93.5cm 1b/C/10cm Fingercomb/Bun-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][My Hair Story][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][LWB Variations]

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •