Page 1203 of 1312 FirstFirst ... 20370311031153119312011202120312041205121312531303 ... LastLast
Results 12,021 to 12,030 of 13116

Thread: The braid picture thread

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: The braid picture thread

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    Midnight your hair is so pretty and your braid looks super neat.

I can't figure out why my braids look so weird at the point where I start weaving. Everyone else's look so smooth.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I'm extremely frustrated.

Please excuse my pajamas.
    That's just thick hair for you.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    16/24/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    Aw thanks Bat.

Under? Like a dutch braid instead of a french braid? That's probably the problem. I have always struggled with a dutch braid. I'll have to work on reversing my weave pattern.

Thank you so so much!

Thank you I just don't care for how you can see the three sections.
    Yeah, like a dutch braid. It definitely gives a different look.
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    I know ponytails aren't an ideal solution, but have you tried gathering the hair in a ponytail-like hold and braiding from there? So the division starts lower? I don't know if it makes sense or if it'd help, but for me, where exactly the base starts makes a visual difference. And you're probably right that a french/dutch braid would make any sectioning look intentional, so it might bother you less.
    As for the sectioning, there was a name for one braid type, I'll try to find it.
    But I also wanted to join others and say that it looks great as it is. c:

EDIT:
    Hm, it's not quite what I had in mind, can't find it now. But I think you were right – I found Dianyla braid which seems to describe using one top section as you mentioned above, especially for thick hair and comfort!
    Thanks ynne! I I'll practice that maybe it will work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtaroth View Post
    I think the Dianayla braid is one I recently learned and it has made a huge difference in how much I like braids in my thick hair too.

I think the video I found called it a faux french braid. Basically it uses the canopy as section and the remaining underside area gets divided into left and right sections. I find it much more comfortable over pulling all my hair back and sticking 2 fingers through to create the 3 sections. Much more comfy for sleeping as well.
    Awesome thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    That's just thick hair for you.
    Well, that's depressing. I'm getting a bit frustrated with the fact that I can't find a protective style (other than a high placed cinnamon bun) that doesn't give me a migraine or look like a steaming pile of dog crap.

That said, as I mentioned earlier, I have found quite a few photos of ladies with much thicker hair than mine that have managed to braid it neatly.

For example, all of the ladies on the first couple of rows in this search have MUCH thicker hair than me and seem to have managed to make a tidy braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
    Yeah, like a dutch braid. It definitely gives a different look.
    Okay. I'll work on it! Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I'm getting pretty frustrated with not being able to put my hair up. It's very hot and humid here and I'm just trying to make it through summer without getting it chopped or thinned.
    Last edited by jane_marie; August 28th, 2020 at 06:55 PM.

Length
    APL/FTL+/FTL?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Braiding looser or tighter, or starting higher or lower can make a difference as well. Brushing/combing the sections into the braid for each section's first pass, rather than brushing, then sectioning, then braiding, might help? Lean your head back a little for the first couple passes, to help the hair lay in the direction of the base of the braid, maybe?

The picture you posted, I have absolutely no idea how there could be effectively no demarcation like that. Lots of hairspray to glue it into a perfect position? The angle of the picture masking more than it would seem? Most of the first few rows of the link you posted, though, I see the sections pretty clearly. Maybe I'm getting different first results than you are.

I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns, here, but is there any chance this is just a case of "you're always your own worst critic"? Either way, I hope you can come up with a solution you're happy with!

Darn hair dressers and their misplaced bra straps... Looks like it'll be longer between hair cuts this time, with an extra 6 inches to regrow!
    <APL ~APL~BSL~MBL~WL~HL~TBL~Classic~ FTL ~ Knee???

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    0"/CBL/?
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SparrowWings View Post
    Braiding looser or tighter, or starting higher or lower can make a difference as well. Brushing/combing the sections into the braid for each section's first pass, rather than brushing, then sectioning, then braiding, might help? Lean your head back a little for the first couple passes, to help the hair lay in the direction of the base of the braid, maybe?

The picture you posted, I have absolutely no idea how there could be effectively no demarcation like that. Lots of hairspray to glue it into a perfect position? The angle of the picture masking more than it would seem? Most of the first few rows of the link you posted, though, I see the sections pretty clearly. Maybe I'm getting different first results than you are.

I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns, here, but is there any chance this is just a case of "you're always your own worst critic"? Either way, I hope you can come up with a solution you're happy with!
    Perhaps. I think it's just that the heat has me a bit frustrated at the moment. I think I feel better about everything hair related when the temperature drops and/or it's a bit less humid.

I think the pictures you are liking start their braid lower than yours. Your hair is so thick but quite a bit shorter than theirs and you may be tempted to start the braid up higher. Their hair is longer and heavier, so the weight changes how the hair falls and I think they are starting down at the nape of the neck. That's the difference that I see.

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

I ended up testing different braid styles and posted it in my blog. c:
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (curly)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Length
    Bald/Buzz/Floor

@Jane You have to take into account as well that they have proberbly practiced braiding for years possiby as children the more you keep doing it the better it will look
    No Trims 1 year and 6 Months
    Bald (April 2022) | Buzz (May 2022) | Short Pixie (August 2022)
    Last Buzz July 10th 2022 | Next Trim 30th Dec 2023)

Length
    Bald/Buzz/Floor

I know it's. Nothing Amazing bit thought I'd show my first attempt at a braid it's too short with too many layers but thought practicing is a good idea!

No Trims 1 year and 6 Months
    Bald (April 2022) | Buzz (May 2022) | Short Pixie (August 2022)
    Last Buzz July 10th 2022 | Next Trim 30th Dec 2023)

Length
    20/24/??
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

Gotta start somewhere!