Results 3,751 to 3,760 of 3868

Thread: Henna Thread, take two

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Yep, I have quite a lot of silver and can't use henna anymore. It flat out turns orange, even multiple layers won't help
    hahhaha meanwhile, this is a feature and not a bug for me.

I can see whites from space

Length
    APL/FTL/TERM
    Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    tuanyiji, be careful with henna on a lot of gray. 1/ the contrast is major 2/ it is going to tint orange rather than red, very, an almost "clownish" orange 3/ it is very permanent even on gray. And with roots that are growing in just about *immediately* after applying, I... wouldn't. Maybe cassia (a yellowish blonde) would be better for gray, as the contrast is far less stark.

First thing my mom did when going gray is switch from her red dye to blonde dye. It makes it so that she only needs to dye about 3 to 4 times a year, because the contrast is so little between the gray and the blonde. She has a mid-tone yellowish blonde on it. It's been 4 months now and only now you can see that it's "time" to actually tackle it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    Yep, I have quite a lot of silver and can't use henna anymore. It flat out turns orange, even multiple layers won't help
    Thank you for your suggestions. I have talked about the pros and cons of henna to her in great details. We also watched Henna Sooq videos together.

My mom has chin length hair, and the ends are quite damaged and fragile at the moment, the kind that break easily when you brush a little too much. We want to henna her hair as a transitional phrase for her to grow out naturally without any further perm or chemical dye job. Her current hair color is already burgundy/purple/orange-ish due to many terrible DIY dye jobs so in her words, it couldn’t get any worse lol.

It’s been half a year since her last diy dye job and she has had quite some new growth and two haircuts to get rid of many burned ends. But every time she walked past the salon near our house, the hairdresser always told her to “get a perm or dye her hair to hide her grays because that’s what women of her age should do” and she gets fed up with that speech.

I actually tried cassia on her already and it didn’t really affect her hair color, luckily she still has a lot of black hair.

She also expressed her two ideas, 1) if she doesn’t like the orange tint, we can always add indigo; 2) if indigo also fails, it doesn’t matter, she would be growing out the gray hair gracefully and cut off the henna’d ends eventually as she wants to look like a match to my dad who has a full head of gray hair now.

I will do strand test for her first of course.

Also my next step is to convince her to grow long hair. There is a really small pool of women over 60 with long hair (past BSL) in where I live. In fact, I rarely see super long-haired women anywhere. Maybe they are all too good at hiding their long locks in buns. Though honestly, I rarely see middle-aged and elderly ladies with a big bun, they either have a short pony tail folding in as a temporary messy bun or just have a short haircut.

My current length is at tbl, if I let it loose and walk out to pick up a mail, I would catch a lot of side eyes because my length is considered unusually long.

I could count the number of females who had longer hair than I do with one hand, and all those girls were from my old school mates. And they had given up long hair at some stage of their adult life.
    Last edited by tuanyiji; August 5th, 2022 at 06:47 PM.
    107cm 1b/C/10.2cm Fingercomb/Bun/Water-only No-Trim/Elastic/Heat
    [Youtube][Instagram][Fun with Flowers][Shed Hair Hand-tie Project][ABC Hairstyle Challenge]

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I was going to suggest adding indigo if you didn't want orange bits but it sounds like you've already looked into that option.

Edit: I'm currently browsing LHC with henna on my roots so it feels appropriate to browse through this thread.
    Last edited by Shorty89; August 9th, 2022 at 09:13 PM.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    4/32/38
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Has anyone used beetroot with henna to make a burgundy color? I have been using henna, hibiscus, and a pinch of indigo but it isn't quite what I am looking for. I have been seeing people on various social medias say to use beetroot, but they never show their results

surprised her hair's long Corvana's Avatar
    Length
    2"/Hip/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

I got my henna in today (Nightshade, your handwriting is absolutely lovely), and I realized that I don't have any vaseline for my hairline LMAO. Now I have to wait even more?!?! Awful lmao.

Maintaining at Hip-BCL for now.
    Lady Corvana, Keeper of Ravens and Crows in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Corvana View Post
    I got my henna in today (Nightshade, your handwriting is absolutely lovely), and I realized that I don't have any vaseline for my hairline LMAO. Now I have to wait even more?!?! Awful lmao.

Awww thank you! I've always been sensitive about my handwriting because I was lefty until I was nine and then my grandma made me swap to righty so I had pretty awful handwriting with both hands until I found fountain pens.

I don't think you need baseline for your hairline (unless your experience is that you do). Any lotion or similar barrier will do (I don't use one at all)

Length
    Jaw/APL/Hip
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TiffPhares View Post
    Has anyone used beetroot with henna to make a burgundy color? I have been using henna, hibiscus, and a pinch of indigo but it isn't quite what I am looking for. I have been seeing people on various social medias say to use beetroot, but they never show their results
    According to Ancient Sunrise/ hennaforhair.com, beetroot juice has no effect on the color you can achieve with henna: https://www.ancientsunrise.blog/henn...d-on-your-head

I've found them to be a really good source. They have scientific explanations for the ways that henna interacts with various substances. Their e-book explains how you can use different acidic mixes to achieve different colors: https://www.tapdancinglizard.com/hen...-acidic-mixes/

Length
    Bob/SHL/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Can anyone help me with my henna oxidisation problem? This is my hair a few days after henna: https://imgur.com/a/7mLmKBe
    and this is my hair about a month later: https://imgur.com/a/5HnvFuk - sorry the second photo isn't as good, no one is home to take a photo of my head for me.
    Is there any way to prevent such a dark oxidisation? I was totally in love with the colour a few days after henna, but now the colour just looks like a warm brown out of the sun. I'm starting to think that my hair is just too dark to get the colour I want
    I have tried john frieda's lightening spray - I think I have exhausted the amount of lightening I will get with that without doing damage. I have thought about using a bleach-free toner to lighten my hair colour, but I'm worried about damage, and I don't know if I want to deal with the upkeep of doing my roots every month with both toner and henna. Any thoughts?

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I'll be honest, it doesn't look that different to me. But, you can try using a lighter mixture with some cassia maybe. If you want more red, a second application would help but would also make it darker. I'd do a couple strand tests - one with henna and cassia and maybe one with a henna gloss and see what you like. Just remember that repeated whole head applications do build up to a darker colour.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    Bob/SHL/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    I'll be honest, it doesn't look that different to me. But, you can try using a lighter mixture with some cassia maybe. If you want more red, a second application would help but would also make it darker. I'd do a couple strand tests - one with henna and cassia and maybe one with a henna gloss and see what you like. Just remember that repeated whole head applications do build up to a darker colour.
    Yeah it is so hard to get a photo that accurately shows the colours! A henna gloss is a good idea, thanks. I'll do a strand test. Maybe that could be a way of maintaining the vibrancy I like - do you think a henna gloss every two weeks or so would result in drastic darkening over time?