Page 366 of 368 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368 LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,660 of 3674

Thread: Henna Thread, take two

  1. #3651
    Member Liz_H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    436
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

    My henna applications really fade. 6 weeks ago, it was bright red with hints of auburn. Today it's a reddish brown. Any suggestions for tempering the fade?

  2. #3652
    Prairie Pintsize Shorty89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,743
    Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz_H View Post
    My henna applications really fade. 6 weeks ago, it was bright red with hints of auburn. Today it's a reddish brown. Any suggestions for tempering the fade?
    What type of henna do you use and what's your process? Maybe we can help you tweak it.

  3. #3653
    Member Liz_H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    436
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty89 View Post
    What type of henna do you use and what's your process? Maybe we can help you tweak it.
    The brand is Xenia (pure henna). With one exception, I've always used an emollient of some sort. Either coconut milk, conditioner or olive oil. The water only application still faded. The henna never fades entirely. I usually put fresh henna on my head and go to sleep.

    As my roots have gotten lighter, I've used less henna in my mix. The last one was about 15 percent henna, 5 percent dried aloe vera, 80 percent cassia and a bit of sugar. I used about a tablespoon or so of olive oil, with a lot of water.

    That time, the henna sat long enough for dye release on the counter, though I didn't check. I still slept with it all night. I used a lot, so I wouldn't miss part of my roots. It was so runny that it saturated all of my hair. The color was absolutely gorgeous, though perhaps a bit much for my skin tone. That was 10 weeks ago. At least when it fades my roots don't show!

    The last one, with the oil, may have faded the most. It's possible my hair was dirtier than other times. Most likely my hair has always been at least day 5. I always go at least 10 days between washes, usually longer
    Last edited by Liz_H; September 10th, 2021 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Missed something

  4. #3654
    Member Liz_H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    436
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

    Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

    Quote Originally Posted by MissDixie View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Well! I did it!! Applied henna only to the length and I am in love!
    Looks great!

    Quote Originally Posted by stardust lady View Post
    The henna/cassia blend I was using in the first photo is just on my natural color, but then in December I did a whole-head treatment with Kitsune, ....
    The henna cassia blend is really stunning!

  5. #3655
    Member stardust lady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    399
    Length
    Buzz/CBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

    Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz_H View Post
    The henna cassia blend is really stunning!
    Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Liz_H View Post
    The brand is Xenia (pure henna). With one exception, I've always used an emollient of some sort. Either coconut milk, conditioner or olive oil. The water only application still faded. The henna never fades entirely. I usually put fresh henna on my head and go to sleep.

    As my roots have gotten lighter, I've used less henna in my mix. The last one was about 15 percent henna, 5 percent dried aloe vera, 80 percent cassia and a bit of sugar. I used about a tablespoon or so of olive oil, with a lot of water.

    That time, the henna sat long enough for dye release on the counter, though I didn't check. I still slept with it all night. I used a lot, so I wouldn't miss part of my roots. It was so runny that it saturated all of my hair. The color was absolutely gorgeous, though perhaps a bit much for my skin tone. That was 10 weeks ago. At least when it fades my roots don't show!

    The last one, with the oil, may have faded the most. It's possible my hair was dirtier than other times. Most likely my hair has always been at least day 5. I always go at least 10 days between washes, usually longer
    I think a certain amount of fading over the course of a couple months isn't out of the ordinary, and a lot of people have to touch up the length with a mild henna gloss every now and then. Just depends on how much fading you're experiencing. On some people it never budges, and on others it fades quite a bit.

    Before you can conclude that it is simply how henna interacts with your hair, you'd want to troubleshoot your methods. Factors I can think of are quality of henna, henna mix, dye release, and dying process.

    Quality of henna: I don't know anything about the brand you mentioned. Where do you source it? Perhaps you might explore another vender? Henna Sooq and Nightblooming (who is on Etsy, but soon opening her own shop) are both tried and true sources and my personal favorites.

    Henna mix: Have you always done a mix of henna and cassia? I know of a couple people (myself included) for whom henna always fade, though I experience the most fading with a milder mix. Personally, I would cut out the oils, since I feel like that might inhibit dying, though that's just my feelings and not a fact.

    Dye release: if you have a Crock-Pot, there are guides to dye releasing in one for more consistent results. When I spent winter in a cold climate, I was suddenly having poor staining henna because the ambient air temperature was so much lower, so I started dye releasing in a lightly warmed oven and got better results. Some say freezing dye released henna also helps. Time and temperature are both factors here.

    Dying process: do you start with damp hair? Do you wrap your head in plastic wrap to keep the henna moist? Whenever I dye my eyebrows without plastic, they only stain lightly and fade within a week or two, I think because the mud dries too quickly.


    Hopefully something in the above paragraphs helps. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've been using henna for a few years and have gone through some trial and error with my own fading. I'm to the point where my color is basically always the same and I actually wish it would fade more, so I can attest to how important quality henna and proper dye release is.

  6. #3656
    Member Jane99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    With my cats
    Posts
    1,161
    Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

    Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

    I have a theory that the cassia fades over time, impacting the color after a couple months. So I wonder if redoing whole head with cassia/senna and no henna would brighten the color back up without adding extra layers of henna red


  7. #3657
    Prairie Pintsize Shorty89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,743
    Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

    Quote Originally Posted by stardust lady View Post
    Thank you!



    I think a certain amount of fading over the course of a couple months isn't out of the ordinary, and a lot of people have to touch up the length with a mild henna gloss every now and then. Just depends on how much fading you're experiencing. On some people it never budges, and on others it fades quite a bit.

    Before you can conclude that it is simply how henna interacts with your hair, you'd want to troubleshoot your methods. Factors I can think of are quality of henna, henna mix, dye release, and dying process.

    Quality of henna: I don't know anything about the brand you mentioned. Where do you source it? Perhaps you might explore another vender? Henna Sooq and Nightblooming (who is on Etsy, but soon opening her own shop) are both tried and true sources and my personal favorites.

    Henna mix: Have you always done a mix of henna and cassia? I know of a couple people (myself included) for whom henna always fade, though I experience the most fading with a milder mix. Personally, I would cut out the oils, since I feel like that might inhibit dying, though that's just my feelings and not a fact.

    Dye release: if you have a Crock-Pot, there are guides to dye releasing in one for more consistent results. When I spent winter in a cold climate, I was suddenly having poor staining henna because the ambient air temperature was so much lower, so I started dye releasing in a lightly warmed oven and got better results. Some say freezing dye released henna also helps. Time and temperature are both factors here.

    Dying process: do you start with damp hair? Do you wrap your head in plastic wrap to keep the henna moist? Whenever I dye my eyebrows without plastic, they only stain lightly and fade within a week or two, I think because the mud dries too quickly.


    Hopefully something in the above paragraphs helps. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've been using henna for a few years and have gone through some trial and error with my own fading. I'm to the point where my color is basically always the same and I actually wish it would fade more, so I can attest to how important quality henna and proper dye release is.
    Very good advice. I don't think applying on dirty hair is a problem. I've applied henna on dirty, oily hair many times with no problem. I might strand test with full henna and see if that fades less.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

  8. #3658
    Henna Seeress Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Terre D'Ange
    Age
    41
    Posts
    21,102
    Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

    Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

    Quote Originally Posted by stardust lady View Post
    The henna/cassia blend I was using in the first photo is just on my natural color, but then in December I did a whole-head treatment with Kitsune, which has a fairly high henna content, and then a couple weeks later a whole-head with Red Raj for 3 hours. Needless to say, I have a lot of henna in the length of my hair. Sort of a similar situation as Nightshade was in while growing out her dark, saturated henna hair, though mine was definitely not as saturated as hers was.

    I already did a Sun-In treatment twice, spread out over 2 months, in Feb and March. No damage resulted, since I did a lot of pre-treatment coconut oiling and post-treatment Olaplex. Been almost a year since I had my hair trimmed and the very tips are just now starting to feel rough, so I think I did well enough to avoid damage. Most of the ruby-red tones are gone and it's about one level lighter, but still a tad too dark.

    The more I think about it, the more I realize it's going to be easier to lighten the length once the roots are longer. I'll wait another 6 months, but I can't wait longer than that since I'll be starting a new job next year and have to look super professional.
    Honestly that's what I did. I had a few inches of growth that was dyed with Fire Genasi before I lightened up the length. You can see all the pictures here

  9. #3659
    Member stardust lady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    399
    Length
    Buzz/CBL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/iii

    Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    Honestly that's what I did. I had a few inches of growth that was dyed with Fire Genasi before I lightened up the length. You can see all the pictures here
    Thanks Nightshade

    I actually used that article as a guide for lightening my henna. Over time I'm finding that the henna fades a little more every month, since I never dye the length anymore, but now after 6 months I feel like the color change has plateaued. I got my hair cut and in the natural light that was filling the salon, the stylist thought it was my natural color, so obviously the lengths and roots are almost a total match! And must not be ruby at all. I think my bathroom lighting really draws attention to the imperfections that you can't see as well in other lighting.

  10. #3660
    Prairie Pintsize Shorty89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,743
    Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

    Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

    Quote Originally Posted by stardust lady View Post
    Thanks Nightshade

    I actually used that article as a guide for lightening my henna. Over time I'm finding that the henna fades a little more every month, since I never dye the length anymore, but now after 6 months I feel like the color change has plateaued. I got my hair cut and in the natural light that was filling the salon, the stylist thought it was my natural color, so obviously the lengths and roots are almost a total match! And must not be ruby at all. I think my bathroom lighting really draws attention to the imperfections that you can't see as well in other lighting.
    I find bathroom Lighting in general is awful.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •