Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 3868

Thread: Henna Thread, take two

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

Quote Originally Posted by twaitro88 View Post
    I have grown to like the smell of henna.... way better than the smell of box dye, at least!!!

and let's not even talk about the smell of a perm! *gasp*
    Ha! Eek yes now there’s a memorable stench.

I do quite like henna’s hay-like scent.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    BSL/BCL/36?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I used henna for the first time, today! I used Rainbow Medium Brown. It turned out pretty, I thought. My grey hairs were covered really well, and turned into a coppery looking highlight. The rest of my hair looks brown, with red tones all over. My hair feels so soft and shiny! Unfortunately, I did miss some areas, at my scalp. Sigh. Oh, well. I like it much better than the box dye! Afterwords, I walked around outside and kept giggling to myself. I smelled like alfalfa. LOL

What is your favorite way to make henna convenient and not messy? I used to wear an old t-shirt while applying, then flip it up over the shower cap... convenient to do but not to wear for the hours afterwards! The best thing I have found in a while was to put a Buff over the shower cap instead.

Length
    Chin/CLSC/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Nice! I don’t know that I’ve truly figured out a convenient way. I always manage to get a few drops on myself before the application is over. Since I sleep with henna, I have a couple large beach towels that have already been dyed umpteen times. I sleep with them on my pillow so I don’t have to worry about drips. Vaseline on the edges of my skin presents staining.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Daily wash and go, monthly henndigo, annual trimmer

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I definitely get more than a few drops on me when applying. It’s all over my face, back, neck, ears, arms, fingers. I wipe it off with a washcloth. I cover my head in plastic wrap while it works its magic. I usually have to adjust it a few times but it works well enough for me. Convenient isn’t the right word though, but it works

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I wear ratty clothes and sit cross-legged on an old tablecloth as I'm putting it on! Then it goes under a shower cap and a not-so-beloved towel. I don't really have any problem with drips after it's applied, but I sure do make a mess of my forehead, ears, etc. while applying. My mother wears gloves and does the vaseline thing. My skin doesn't stain so readily, so I make do by wiping up with a wet washcloth. It's okay.

I also do the beach towel on the pillow trick... On my head they were too cumbersome if I did my henna during the day. The Buff (which I suppose could be substituted with a tight hat stays in place and is light.

Length
    BSL/BCL/36?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Is it safe to use clarifying shampoo with sulfates on hair that has been colored with Henna? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question! (I wrote it on the grocery list and was given a gigantic bottle of Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, 30 oz! I do love that stuff- it works great!)

I just wanted to make sure, before I use it. (I recently henna'd my hair, using Rainbow Henna, Med. Brown. It still smells like grass/alfalfa and drips light brown when I wash it. I figured this would help?)

Thank you!

What kind of safety are you going for? The shampoo probably won't strip the color, though probably your hair needs some conditioning right after the henna before it can be back to normal. (Full disclosure: I am a no-sulfate co-washer type, but I do sometimes use Deva's micellar clarifier on my hair.). The problem seems to be that you haven't gotten the henna out of your hair yet if it is dripping brown when you wash it. It is very hard to get henna out! Post-henna, I usually slather on a cheap conditioner, rub it into my scalp, finger-comb it through my hair, and rinse very carefully. Sometimes I will repeat this a second time to make sure it all comes out. The slip really helps to move those henna grains down the strands. This has not failed me. I have read that some people dunk their hair in a tub or bucket after henna but I do not recommend.

PS if you slather on the conditioner and finger-comb, you may find some of those grains on your hand. You could go ahead and rinse these off your hand each time before continuing to finger-comb more of it down . That way you aren't putting them back in.