1c/F/ii

Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

Beautiful, Winterfox!
    ~Bleach-free from April 2018~*~No trimming~

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Thank you AshtangiPNW
    Big chop from 100cm to boyshort in 2018 Re-growing since February 2020 Henna + Shikakai + Herbal Rinses
    Sylverwing, Keeper of the Moonwellsin the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    10/20/20
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Hi All, has anyone used henna from this supplier: https://cultivator.in/? I can get their products locally where I live but I wondered if anyone here has any experience with their henna in particular. I read how important good quality henna is so I don’t want to take any chances.

Length
    Pixie/15"/36"
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I've never used them but looking at the henna under the powdered herbs section, it looks to be a nice fine grind.

I think I'd go with that one instead of the henna packaged for hair just because you don't know how much aloe is actually added to the hair one.

Length
    10/20/20
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    I've never used them but looking at the henna under the powdered herbs section, it looks to be a nice fine grind.

I think I'd go with that one instead of the henna packaged for hair just because you don't know how much aloe is actually added to the hair one.
    Thank you very much, Obsidian.

Length
    10/20/20
    Type
    2b/M/ii

And one more question - I see in many henna recipes throughout the forum that people are adding lemon juice or citric acids to their henna mixes, especially when covering greys. I was wondering what is the purpose of that - will henna not cover greys without the acidity?

Length
    Chin/Sit/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by EliL View Post
    And one more question - I see in many henna recipes throughout the forum that people are adding lemon juice or citric acids to their henna mixes, especially when covering greys. I was wondering what is the purpose of that - will henna not cover greys without the acidity?
    Henna will dye release with water alone. If Iím in a hurry, mixing warm water and henna is a nice way to dye release.

That said, Iím interested in getting as much color (and darkness) out of my henna as possible. The problem with grays is that a light henna stain results in my grays turning bright orange, which is not a happy outcome. Acidity in the mix results not only in a nice dark stain immediately, but also a darker stain, long term. Catherine Cartwright-Jones gets into the science of acidity here.
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    **Sit**Classic**FTL**~~~No trim 2020 - First half!

Length
    10/20/20
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by C_Bookworm View Post
    Henna will dye release with water alone. If I’m in a hurry, mixing warm water and henna is a nice way to dye release.

That said, I’m interested in getting as much color (and darkness) out of my henna as possible. The problem with grays is that a light henna stain results in my grays turning bright orange, which is not a happy outcome. Acidity in the mix results not only in a nice dark stain immediately, but also a darker stain, long term. Catherine Cartwright-Jones gets into the science of acidity here.
    Thank you very much, C_Bookworm for your response and for the article.

Length
    Chin/Sit/FTL
    Type
    2b/F/iii

No problem!
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    **Sit**Classic**FTL**~~~No trim 2020 - First half!