Page 276 of 376 FirstFirst ... 176226266274275276277278286326 ... LastLast
Results 2,751 to 2,760 of 3757

Thread: Henna Thread, take two

From the ocean depths to the celestial moon
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Default Re: Henna Thread, take two

Katlette, from reading your descriptions of what you did and the effect it sounds like you are going for, I would let it dye release for longer then leave it on for just over two hours if you want a bright but not too dark color that lasts a bit longer.

I will be doing my henna today! I am excited since this will be my first fully LHC-informed hennaing... I bought high content from Mehendi.com and made the mix that has sat overnight... I have dark hair and am hoping for as much red as I can get.

One question, if anyone can answer... If it relaxes my curls a bit, I plan to use an amla treatment but did not want the amla in the mix to risk toning down the red. Any info on whether amla will "strip" the henna if I leave it on for only 15 minutes?
    Raven/henna head hip-tailbone curlsLong hair is considered bohemian, which may be why I grew it, but I keep it because I love the way it feels.~Piercy * I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living. ~Nin

From the ocean depths to the celestial moon
    Type
    3a/3b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lindsayhv View Post
    So last night, I did a hot coconut oil treatment with some tea tree oil in it and left it in overnight with a plastic cap on and my satin sleep cap on top of that. When I woke up this morning, my silk pillow case was covered in red smudges! I guess something drew some of my henna out. My hair doesn't look lighter, but maybe it is an itty bit.
    I found a thread on this forum at some point about someone using coconut oil and amla to strip their henna out... it took some time, but it made me think a bit that maybe the long and hot oiling could have been the case :-/ It's also why I ask my question.
    Raven/henna head hip-tailbone curlsLong hair is considered bohemian, which may be why I grew it, but I keep it because I love the way it feels.~Piercy * I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living. ~Nin

Length
    28/40/42
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Syren_Curls: Thank you! I'm planning on doing another full-head application this coming weekend, and will definitely let it dye release overnight. I've given it some thought and I don't really mind if it turns out quite dark, so I think I'll leave it on my head for 3-4 hours. As long as its red, I'm happy!
    MBL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TBL - Classic

Length
    3-6/15/25
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

My hair's been happily taking the henna that I put on it a few weeks ago, and there's only a few things that I'm not loving that I'm wondering if you lovely ladies can help me out with:
    I used to only wash my hair once a week, but since I've hennaed my hair it's getting greasy within three days (it doesn't feel particularly greasy, it just looks extremely greasy!)..I've been using my normal cocoa powder/cinnamon 'dry shampoo', but it still looks a little off. Any tips?
    Also, the smell isn't really going away. I figured after 3 or 4 washes it should start to get back to normal, but I'm still getting whiffs of it when I take my hair down/when it gets wet. I was thinking that maybe essential oils might help cover the smell, but am afraid that it'll just clash. What do you think?

Length
    28/40/42
    Type
    1c/F/ii

JS09: I've managed to cover the smell really well with lavender essential oil. There is still a faint hay-type smell when my hair gets wet but it is overpowered by the lavender. I tried jasmine in one of my mixes too, but that didn't really counter the henna smell as well.
    MBL - Waist - Hip - BCL - TBL - Classic

Length
    BSL/Chin/Chin
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I had a bad henna experience and I need to vent. Hope it's alright if I do it here

I've been using henna for 2 years, and for the last year or so I've bought henna from a local store. The henna has been good quality and I've been very happy with the colour it has given me. I bought a new bag last week, and I was going to do my roots today. As soon as I opened the bag, something seemed wrong. My henna usually has a murky greenish colour, but this colour was incredibly GREEN. It looked like it had been dyed, it didn't look natural at all.

I decided to mix it up anyway, just to see what would happen. I always use very hot water to get a fast dye release, and it works wonderfully. First of all, the mix turned very dark, sort of greenish-black. Secondly, it smelled horrible. I'm one of those weirdos who think that henna smells rather nice, very earthy and grassy. This mix smelled like burning car tires. I left it for a while to see if it would have any dye release at all, but after 30 minutes in a warm place, it hadn't given off anything (I typically get good dye release after 10 minutes or so). I tried some on my arm, but it didn't leave anything other than a slight burning sensation. There was definitely no red in there.

I don't know what that was, but it definitely wasn't henna. Maybe the packet was mislabeled and the powder was indigo, which I completely murdered with the hot water. I've used indigo in the past though, and I don't remember it looking and smelling like that. The one I used was more similar to henna when unmixed.
    I'm definitely not going to buy from that store anymore, I think I'll buy from one of the reputable online shops instead. I'm not very happy right now
    Last edited by KittyBird; May 13th, 2014 at 06:05 AM. Reason: fixing stuff
    Thunder and lightning wonít change what Iím feeling, and the daffodils look lovely today
    From tbl+ to short bob

Length
    3-6/15/25
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Thank you, Katlette! Will definitely give it a try

Length
    MBL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I've got a question... I used henna once or twice before, and I'm wanting to use it once again, but I found it to be extremely thick and cakey (not so nice for my hair type, makes me want to cry), similar to really thick mud, it left pieces in my hair which were incredibly difficult to wash out... Did I not mix it properly or did I not use enough water? Just wondering how others are mixing/preparing their henna dye. Maybe I'm just silly and didn't read the instructions properly.

Length
    17/24.5/27
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Meliel, the goal is to add enough water/tea to get the henna to a brownie batter consistency. Then let the dye release and add any essential oils/terps. If it's still looking thick, you can add a little conditioner (e.g. Suave naturals) to get it to the consistency you like.

I recommend mermaid soaks to get the henna out of your hair. Fill your bath tub with warm water, get in, and submerge your hair. Gently massage the roots with your fingertips and let your hair float around. After a minute or two most of the henna will be out of your hair. I follow this up with a shower and use several handfuls of conditioner (the same Suave) to get the last of the henna out.

Length
    MBL/TBL/?
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Ohhh, that sounds much better, oatmealpie! I like the idea of soaking my hair for a while in the bathtub (also the idea of adding a bit of conditioner to the mixture). I was previously washing the henna out with my hair hanging down the side of the bathtub and using the shower head. I found this to be super messy and time consuming, as well as damaging to my hair as it was tangling so much. Thanks for the advice