Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plaiting/braiding

Angry Plaiting/braiding

This is gunna sound stupid, but... Is there any difference? I've seen some cute styles on YT, but they all say you have to plat, and I'm over here going "plat? what's that?"

Length
    12/33/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Default Re: Plating/braiding

It's "plait' and it means the same thing as braid. I always put my hair in a braid before I bun it, it holds much better.
    current:hip 33"
    1st goal: waist 32"
    2nd goal tailbone 37" (40'' wet)

I thought it was plait, but everyone keeps pronouncing it "plat", so I thought maybe I Was wrong lol

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

It's the English word. (British English, as opposed to American English). It's both a verb and a noun. It means the same as braid, and yes, it's pronounced "platt."

I am British, and I actually say "plait" myself, and have done all my life, but since these forums are predominantly American English-speaking, I tend to adapt my language so that people here will understand me, and say "braid" instead in most of my posts.
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I've always "said" plait as plate. I don't think I've ever said the word out loud though. A plait is the same thing as a braid. I was under the impression braid was more of an American word and plait was more of a European word. Or maybe it's regional Anyways, it's all the same thing.

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    BSL/BCL/CLAS
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn View Post
    I was under the impression braid was more of an American word and plait was more of a European word..
    Maybe I am wrong here, but, apart from the UK, I can't think of another country in Europe whose first official language is English.
    Stop cruelty to apostrophe's.

Length
    16"/22"/30"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Until I joined LHC and started referring to all types of plaits as braids, the only time I ever used the word braid was to describe the styles that are braided over the head, gathering pieces into the braid as it is created (dutch braid, English braid - which was referred to as French braiding). A regular plait started at either the nape of the neck or from a ponytail and was plaited down the length. Have I confused anyone yet? Anyway, I grew up using a mix of UK and American English, depending on the different schools I went to, so I'm used to changing my terminology to fit the majority - although I still tend to use predominantly UK English spelling.
    ...The world is my oyster and I am its pearl...

Length
    16"?/29"/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by chopandchange View Post
    Maybe I am wrong here, but, apart from the UK, I can't think of another country in Europe whose first official language is English.
    OK yes I do know that. What I was thinking was I've seen some LHCers from various European countries use the word "plait" meaning "braid". I guess I thought that was clear. Sorry if it wasn't

I am not here to decorate your world

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Yes, it does seem that aside from UK LHCers, European LHCers from non-English speaking countries use the word "plait" as well. In North America, people whose second language is English generally use the word "braid". I see the same thing, Carolyn.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Plaiting/braiding

Plait = braid.

I'm British and pronounce it 'plat'. I have never heard anyone pronounce it 'plate' but I can see how you could make that mistake if you'd only seen it written down!