Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Condition vs length

Length
    spike/41"/term

Default Condition vs length

Ever find yourself wondering if you should trim a bit off for a healthier hemline and overall eveness. Although you love the length and cant stand to spare even a 1/4 inch, just want longer? What to do?

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

I always say condition over length, because when your length is dry and full of splits, the splits can travel upwards and eventually lead to a loss of even more length. Healthy hair is more important than super long, in the end because the health and care gone into long hair is what makes it beautiful
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Length
    pixie/43/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I waited too long to trim. I am so much happier with my ends after trimming an inch or so.

Length
    Shoul/Class/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Condition, more than definitely. Having had untrimmed badly damaged length, yeah, yucky. I'll trim any day before putting up with that again.

My familiars no longer with me: Dixie: *1-6-1991 4-10-2009, Stuffie: *4-1994 29-1-2011, and Rakker: *26-3-2011 29-8-2018
    6-9-2015 Goodbye my dearest of human friends, shine bright

Length
    CL/SL/APL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

For sure condition first. I see some with long hair but the ends looks terrible, and I think to myself they really need a trim!

Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Well I'm going to be the odd one out and say keep the length It really does depend on what length you're at though.

Me, my hair has just become long enough to do a really decent bun and since I hate this length down, I will continue to wear it up every day for a year or two. My ends are not great, but not exactly fried either. They would look nicer with a trim, but since I'm not wearing it down and no one sees it..... there is no point. I will just continue to gain length and worry about the trimming later.

I've never experienced the split ends travelling up the hair shaft thing though....maybe I've just been lucky
    Last edited by Rini; May 3rd, 2008 at 08:07 AM.

Tuscan Tales.....♥..... Facebook me!....♥....My Direct Dyes article

Length
    13/17/WL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Rini, I'm with you. As you can see from my photo I'm growing mine out. This is not the first time in my life that I've done this (will I never learn?!)

The previous times I've gone for trimming out the layers and getting a nice blunt hemline, over length. But this time I'm going for length above all and putting up with the layers and u-shaped hemline. Like you, I want to be able to put it up. I just can't wait to get it up in a Gibson Tuck - it's such an elegant style!

However I'm sure I would feel different if my hair was in bad condition. I haven't trimmed for 15 months (the photo was taken 2 months ago) and so far - no split ends. If I had bleached/fried hair I think I would probably want to get rid of the evidence!

Length
    27/36"/long
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Yes, I wonder about this every day. Since I started chemo I have had little new growth and my hair has thinned out in volume. I went from a 4" pony circumference to 3". So, the hem is a bit thin and really needs to be trimmed back to make it look healthier. But, at this point I am unwilling to give up any more hair, even for a much needed trim!
    Pegasus Marsters 117th wife
    Life is like a hot bath...the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get.

Length
    40+/MBL/Waist
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

I also say length. While my ends aren't in the best condition, they are still around average, I'd say. If they were in awful condition, I might be more inclined. With some coconut oil and TLC, they aren't so dry and strawlike--tonight they even feel soft to the touch! Stuff like that makes me happier to get to my next goal (hip) and perhaps maintain there.
    Lady Angellen, Bound Raven in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

I am the Vampire Queen

Length
    21/47.5/?
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

You can always just S&D to snip off individual splits.

Some of us here prefer the fairy tale ends look over a blunt hemline - see the no trimming club link in my siggy. However, if you want to keep your hemline blunt, you do need to trim - how often depends on the way your hair grows (uniformly or with strands shooting away) and the speed.