Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Not Use Soybean Oil?

Length
    23.75/24/30
    Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: Why Not Use Soybean Oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Velouria View Post
    Soybean oil can't be obtained by cold-pressing, or even by expeller pressing with heat. The only way it can be extracted is chemically, by using a solvent. Hexane, a pretty nasty petrochemical, is what is generally used.
    Wow...note to self - avoid soybean oil.

Henna gone, at APL now!
    You often meet your destiny on the road you've taken to avoid it

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

That's not true. The soy bean oil is often pressed out.

Wikipedia is funny sometimes. Just because it isn't mentioned there, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It says in WIkipedia also that it is the most sold cooking oil in the world ?? I have lived in many countries and I couldn't find it in any of them Another info that wasn't complete. The pressed oil as well as the press leftover-cake is often used in animal food (pellets and such for lifestock for example). Also there is no mentioning about the issues with GMO.

/ CMG
    Last edited by cmg; August 27th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Thinking about the promotion of hair growth on the head but reduction in other places could it be that hair that grows on the face, legs etc is caused by testosterone and the soya's phytoestrogens inhibit that. Then hair that grows on the head is promoted by estrogen so the phytoestrogens in the soya oil promote that?

It does sound quite nice to use a bit like a serum maybe. It may not do the job of coconut oil but sometimes sitting on the surface protecting the hair is what you want.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Can't keep away, it seems Unofficial_Rose's Avatar
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ChloeDharma View Post
    Thinking about the promotion of hair growth on the head but reduction in other places could it be that hair that grows on the face, legs etc is caused by testosterone and the soya's phytoestrogens inhibit that. Then hair that grows on the head is promoted by estrogen so the phytoestrogens in the soya oil promote that?

It does sound quite nice to use a bit like a serum maybe. It may not do the job of coconut oil but sometimes sitting on the surface protecting the hair is what you want.
    Oh, interesting theory and sounds logical!

I always have soya milk in tea, I'm 48 and I (TMI warning) have never yet missed a period. I prefer the taste to cow's milk but maybe it's unhealthy?

I have some of the Africa's best oil but I didn't like it much on my hair. If I find someone who likes it I will give it to them. Olive oil is amazing as a pre-wash treatment though.

Quote Originally Posted by raingirl View Post
    I've never seen soy/soybean oil in stores. We have canola oil mostly in stores, the peanut and corn oil.
    Because it's usually labelled as "vegetable oil." If you look at the ingredients it says soybean oil.

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I've never seen this type of oil in shops, I don't think it's widely available in my country. I have been wondering if rapeseed oil (the main ingredient in our vegetable oils) would work well on hair though.

Length
    15"/22"/long!
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Places to find soybean oil:

Oils that just say 'Vegetable oil' often are either 100% soybean or soybean mixed with other oils, esp. cheap oils
    Crisco and generic shortenings

Any oil that doesn't tell you what it is is probably soybean oil.
    rats spelled backwards spells star

Length
    Tbl/Apl/Jaw
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

soybean oil isn't common where I live which is my major reason for not trying it
    CO washer - Grahtoe - Dresses only - De-clutterer - LHC addict

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

Calling something "vegetable oil" is not allowed in my country. It would imply hiding true ingredients or possibility of adding lesser quality ingredients.

Also Qrisco is not available here, had to look it up. Similar products are available in Germany though, usually of animal origin, not plant source.

This showes one of the issues with people talking about various products mentioned here on LHC. They aren't always available where you live or the similar ones available are made of something entirely different. Baby oils for example, are not often made of mineral oil here in Sweden. But usually when people discuss baby oil they mean mineral oil.

/ CMG

Length
    6inch/8inch/9inch
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Centelleo View Post
    Given its availability, I'm surprised that it isn't used more often but I suppose using vegetable oil doesn't have quite the same ring as some of the others you mentioned.

I try not to buy too many single use products other than an essential oil or high quality carrier here and there so many of my hair/body oils double as cooking oil: extra virgin olive oil, virgin coconut oil, sunflower, untoasted sesame, argan (food-grade), and grapeseed (although I'm phasing this out due to high pesticide levels found in most commercial grape harvests & seed oil production).

Virgin coconut oil is great for cooking as well as a natural anti-fungal supplement. As far as hair application use, it's one of the best hair oils since it is actually able to penetrate the hair shaft and helps prevent protein loss. Plus, the natural scent of unrefined coconut oil is pretty hard to beat!

I don't cook with castor or jojoba (and I'm not even sure you can) but their natural properties make them desirable for skin and hair use, as well as alternative home remedies: castor oil for laxative purposes and suffocating the all too common hair follicle (demodex) mites that inhibit hair growth; jojoba oil's similarity to our skin's natural sebum makes it a good choice for a lightweight oil cleanser and moisturizer, especially for the scalp (although some people prefer to use it on the length).

Avocado oil (unrefined) has a much higher vitamin E content than soy oil and it's considered less comedogenic. Soybean is becoming so overated due to it multi usage that you can find it everywhere. The soybean oil market has increased due to the various health benefits provided by soybean oil.

Also, there are so many conflicting studies as to whether or not soy oil contains phytoestrogens, which can be absorbed through the skin. That's an important factor to consider for people undergoing hormone replacement therapy or with synthetic hormone sensitivity.
    After reading the posts in this thread, I started researching about Soybean oil and the benefits of using it are endless. I am a virgin coconut oil user and preferred it that way. I totally agree with what you said about coconut oil. It keeps the hair shaft really healthy. But as I researched and read more about soybean oil, I wanted to use it and see the difference. To my surprise, soybean oil works great for my hair type. It retains moisture and my hair feels so light. I read that the lipids in the oil helps the hair absorb the oil much better. And I just used such a small quantity (I have waist length hair)! I agree that avocado has a higher Vitamin E content but then I am really glad that soybean oil does, too, cause it is like a added benefit. I thinnk the best part is that the oil is non-greasy and this really makes it the winner for me. I really didn't want to give up coconut oil but I guess soybean oil is it, thanks to this thread. But your post really covered the various kinds of oil and thanks for that. I might start alternating between oils to keep my hair and scalp healthy!