Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Poo bars = damage?

Length
    1.25/4.25/APL?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Poo bars = damage?

I found this concerning what a shampoo should be:

"Slightly acidic (pH less than 7), since a basic environment weakens the hair by breaking the disulfide bonds in hair keratin."

Does this mean that using shampoo bars (ie soap) is actually damaging to the hair? I understand that it raises the cuticle and that's one reason for an acid rinse to close them but since poo bars are basic/alkaline does this in fact weaken the hair regardless of what you do to it after that like the statement above says?
    Growing out again since August 2019
    pixie
    ~ cl ~ sl ~ apl ~ bsl ~.......?

Length
    25/35/50?
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/i/ii

Default Re: Poo bars = damage?

I don't know. I do know a lot of people here have had really good results with poo bars. I also know that the number of splits I got went up when I was using them. However, all I have to do to get split ends is to look at my hair cross-eyed.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I doubt it really does cause damage. Yes it's akaline, but not alkaline enough to do damage.

This is just what I think by the way, I don't have scientific proof to really back this up.

Length
    12/39/48
    Type
    2c/M/iii

I had the opposite of damage... completely. A straight month of just using a shampoo bar, oiling my hair after every wash, air drying it, and putting it in a braid or bun. I found that for me personally, washing with a regular shampoo every few times after a shampoo bar helped me with build up. The month of the shampoo bar I had a decline in splits and it grew an inch!!! I have read online though that supposedly shampoo bars have a 10 alkaline level. I'm not a chemist though and just go with my personal experience with products.

If shampoo bars aren't for you, this lady custom makes hair products for people. She's super nice and pretty quick with answers.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Verbenacustomblends

Banned
    Length
    < 10"/26.75/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by whiteisle View Post
    "Slightly acidic (pH less than 7), since a basic environment weakens the hair by breaking the disulfide bonds in hair keratin."
    The above statement ^ is chemically true... according to chemist-hubby.

His comment: Yes, that's true. Chemical "base" (opposite "acid") softens hair... makes hair softer, and thereby, somwehat weaker/more easy to break or more prone to breakage. That's how these make your hair softer. That's also likely to cause some breakage (split ends).

His suggestion: Try using such shampoo bars, rinsing very thoroughly with plenty of running water, then rinse with fresh beer (ie beer that is just-opened and still has a good 'head') instead of the more usual flat-beer rinse that most of us do...

He says that fresh beer has a good amount of carbonic acid, which is lost when you let beer go flat.

He also recommends drinking half of your good beer in your hair-washing shower, and using the other half on your hair. lol

Length
    1.25/4.25/APL?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieB View Post

His comment: Yes, that's true. Chemical "base" (opposite "acid") softens hair... makes hair softer, and thereby, somwehat weaker/more easy to break or more prone to breakage. That's how these make your hair softer. That's also likely to cause some breakage (split ends).

His suggestion: Try using such shampoo bars, rinsing very thoroughly with plenty of running water, then rinse with fresh beer (ie beer that is just-opened and still has a good 'head') instead of the more usual flat-beer rinse that most of us do...

He says that fresh beer has a good amount of carbonic acid, which is lost when you let beer go flat.

He also recommends drinking half of your good beer in your hair-washing shower, and using the other half on your hair. lol

ROFL! I can just imagine the look on DH's face if I were to go sauntering off to the bathroom with one of his beers in hand. or 'Course, he's probably desensitized by this point with my many hair concoctions he might not even blink.
    Growing out again since August 2019
    pixie
    ~ cl ~ sl ~ apl ~ bsl ~.......?

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieB View Post

A dilute vinegar rinse does the same thing and is a bit cheaper

actually... any carbonated beverage should be able to do that shouldn't it? Although they're probably even more acidic...

ETA: and just for clarification, disulfide bridges should reform once in an acidic environment. So while alkaline soaps can weaken the hair and you should be gentle while the soap is on your hair, a good rinsing should help get things back to normal.

Length
    pixie/WL/???
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by teela1978 View Post
    A dilute vinegar rinse does the same thing and is a bit cheaper

actually... any carbonated beverage should be able to do that shouldn't it? Although they're probably even more acidic...
    Yeah, you can pour dilute vinegar over your head and drink the WHOLE beer!

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Madame J View Post
    Yeah, you can pour dilute vinegar over your head and drink the WHOLE beer!
    I prefer this suggestion

I use shampoo bars without an acid rinse (though I have got soft water for most of the year), and I haven't had any noticeable damage with them. Maybe it's true theoretically but I'm not going to stop using something that works because of that. Theoretically SLS should destroy one's hair (and it makes my scalp horribly itchy!), but some people have great success with it.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    SL/>SL/>BSL
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

Shampoo bars definitely damaged my hair. I had a dramatic increase in splits and breakage. The damage was permanent; I haven't used a shampoo bar in months, but my hair is essentially "chemically processed" from their use.