Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hair breaking offf...help!

Length
    21"/26"/30"

Default hair breaking offf...help!

Hi all

just wonderd if you wouldn't mind helping...

for seveal months now my hair has been breaking off around my hairline...no idea why as it's not permed or coloured and I am taking plenty of supllments. It's very fine although there's a lot of it and down to my waist. It's very hard to style and always messy so I used to srauch dry it as it has a slight wave in it but stopped when I suspected the scrunching was the cause of the breakage but it's still breaking off. Thougth maybe it's because my hair dryers too hot but I've had the hairdryer years and it's not caused a problem before. Any ideas?

thanks!

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: hair breaking offf...help!

The hair around your hairline tends to be the most fragile and delicate.

Do you wear your hair in ponytails or the same style every day? People notice breakage from their rubber bands.

It could be getting too much heat from your dryer, can you use it on a lower heat setting?

You just have to treat that hair like it's baby hair. It's just way softer than the rest of your hair

Length
    21"/26"/30"

I tie my hair back at night because a: it's long and could starngle me and B: I put olive oil on the ends. Would this be the cause? Maybe wear a hair net instead? In the day I just wear it loose. Or maybe I nee a new hairdryer as there's only really one heat on it.

The Last Hairbender Dreams_in_Pink's Avatar
    Length
    pob/Hip/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by RockerChick View Post
    I tie my hair back at night because a: it's long and could starngle me and B: I put olive oil on the ends. Would this be the cause? Maybe wear a hair net instead? In the day I just wear it loose. Or maybe I nee a new hairdryer as there's only really one heat on it.
    does that tie have metal parts? is it rubber? do you tie too tight? all these can cause breakage.

Chin /// Shoulder /// APL /// BSL ///Waist /// Hip /// BCL /// Tailbone /// Classic (final goal) /// All one length Classic

Length
    21"/26"/30"

No it's one of those special fabric-covered anti breakage ones and no it's not too tight.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

If you tie it in the same place all the time that could be a cause. i would try a loose braid or changing where you tie it.

Length
    21"/26"/30"

Why would where you tie it cuase it to break off?

Herbivore
    Length
    58cm/103cm/tb
    Type
    2b/M/iii

If you tie it n the same place every single time it's going to cause friction and then cause damage. Also, consider dumping your hairdryer or cutting down on the times you use it, heat is damaging.
    Do you keep your hair up in hair friendly updos? Do you brush your hair? Brushing can be awfully damaging to fine hair.
    Does your hair come between your back and a backpack/shoulder strap? Or a chair backing? Do you keep it down when wearing a wool jacket? All those small things are going to cause damage too.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I notice you say its around your hairline.....could it just be new growth? Feel the hairs and if they taper to a point at the tip then its just new hair emerging. If they are blunt at the tip then it sounds like breakage.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by RockerChick View Post
    I suspected the scrunching was the cause of the breakage but it's still breaking off. Thougth maybe it's because my hair dryers too hot but I've had the hairdryer years and it's not caused a problem before.
    I think the dryer's the culprit. From what you've said you are both scrunching (possible mechanical damage) and blow-drying (heat damage).

Also, when you wash, are you piling the hair on top of your head and massaging shampoo into the piled-on hair? Stop doing that too. That leads to lots of tangles and mechanical damage.

I'd try cutting out the dryer. Your waves will thank you, and if it's an older dryer, it may in fact be operating at a hotter temperature than newer dryers. Can you bear to wash your hair in the evenings and let it air-dry, rather than wash in the morning?

Good luck.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights