Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarifying hair

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Clarifying hair

How frequently should one clarify hair & are there any natural ways to clarify hair? I did mine today....for the first time. Used sauve & seemed fine. Also does clarify strip hair of henna? I always notice that when I ACV rinse , there is some color being washed out but didn't see any today with clarifying shampoo.
    SANA
    ultrashort/APL/tailbone

Length
    8"/30"/Term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I clarify about 1 time every 3-4 weeks using baking soda (mixed with shampoo & water) and/or ACV. I do not use henna, so I am not sure about it stripping color. HTH!

Mary <><
    Matthew 5:14-16

Length
    30/30/32+
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I have the Suave Clarifying shampoo also, and It says its gentle enough for daily use. Although I only use it once every two weeks or so.

Type
    1b/F/ii

You clarify your hair when it needs clarifying and there is no set rule, nobody can say how often you need to clarify or if you need to do it. Some people get problem with buildup, others don't.

Signs of buildup can be dry ends that tangle whatever you do, stick to each other like velcro immediately after detangling or very soon. They can also feel quite sharp, like needles. Tangling and such can also be a sign of much damage, but clarifying is a good place to start. Another sign of buildup is lank, lifeless, stringy, greasy looking hair that normal washing doesn't seem to clean.

About henna, no idea as I don't use it.

Default Clarify & Acv Rinse

There is no necessity to clarify on a particular schedule. I recommend clarifying the hair on an as-needed basis. Remember, clarifying strips the hair of all applied product, although not color. It removes grime, buildup from product, minerals in water, sebum. It only removes what's been applied to the surface of hair strands, nothing at the cortex level (which color typically is).

Using a store purchased clarify shampoo is fine. IF you want to do a home recipe, one is Baking Soda blended with your choice of shampoo. Equal parts. I use 3 Tablespoons Baking Soda with 3 Tablespoons of my soda. Blend very well so there are no lumps. It should become more creamy, and there may be a hue depending on your shampoo (such as if it has colorants in it).

I like to wet the hair thoroughly and first do one normal shampoo to begin the process of breaking up the surface tension that happens when sebum is present.

I also like to pre-detangle my hair of course and scritch the scalp skin prior to a hair wash, especially a clarify hair wash, because of part of clarifying is to also really get that scalp skin CLEAN.

Note of Importance: When you clarify, any method, including this Baking Soda version, it is VITAL that one condition quite well as part of this kind of hair wash or the hair may end up a little fly-away, a funny texture (all stuff stripped off!!), static-y perhaps. Clarifying strips the hair and without conditioning this is the result. That means it worked, but many make the error of not conditioning well or at all and think something is wrong. It's not. It worked, but it's important to REPLACE WHAT'S BEEN REMOVED and begin fresh again.

Also, good rinsing is important.

Many people make the mistake thinking an ACV Rinse is a clarify hair wash. It is not. Not strictly speaking. A clarify hair wash is intended to remove stuff that has had an opportunity to dry on the surface of hair strands, and build, over time. If one performs an ACV Rinse as a clarify hair wash they will likely end up with tacky and probably more tangly hair. Nothing has been removed and likely the ACV kinda attached to the buildup.

What an ACV RINSE DOES DO is that it can remove any product, or minerals from water that are still hanging around in that specific hair wash while the hair is wet. It's a rinse, a way of removing stuff off the hair in that specific hair wash that was applied. ACV Rinse also

binds the cuticle -- that is helps one's cuticles to lie closer and tighter together thus helping to create somewhat softer hair for one's hair type (curlier, the cuticle is more open, for example, so such a texture may feel coarser than compared to a straight-haired person).

removes minerals off the hair from the water used in that hair wash

applies an acidic product to scalp skin and thus helps to set the acid mantle at the proper pH (shampoos and conditioners tend to create an alkali state on the scalp skin)

the malic acid is beneficial for scalp skin

can help resolve itchy scalp skin

While in a context one can argue that well, that's clarifying, it's ONLY FOR THAT HAIR WASH. ACV RINSE DOES NOT REMOVE BUILDUP ACQUIRED OVER TIME. Once something has dried on the strands of hair, ACV will NOT remove it.

Therefore I try to take care and not use the term 'clarify' when discussing ACV Rinse. It is confusing to many to mix terms this way.

heidi w.
    Last edited by heidi w.; May 2nd, 2008 at 02:43 PM.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Quote Originally Posted by aisling View Post
    You clarify your hair when it needs clarifying and there is no set rule, nobody can say how often you need to clarify or if you need to do it. Some people get problem with buildup, others don't.

Signs of buildup can be dry ends that tangle whatever you do, stick to each other like velcro immediately after detangling or very soon. They can also feel quite sharp, like needles. Tangling and such can also be a sign of much damage, but clarifying is a good place to start. Another sign of buildup is lank, lifeless, stringy, greasy looking hair that normal washing doesn't seem to clean.

About henna, no idea as I don't use it.
    Another big sign of needing to clarify is when one's conditioner doesn't seem to do its usual job, and hair still ends up tacky feeling, tangly after a fresh hair wash.

Those who CO wash may need to clarify slightly more often than those who do not use this hair wash method.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Thank you Heidi, for 'clarifying' about the ACV.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Thanks all for the reply. Thank you heidi on explaining in detail about the ACV rinse. It answered so many of my questions. I was beginning to think ACV just adjusts the pH of my hair after a wash. Seems to do more than that.
    SANA
    ultrashort/APL/tailbone

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Next time you get soap scum buildup in bathtub or sink, try pouring some dilute vinegar over it. Then tell me that vinegar does not cut buildup.

(PS--there are many web sites that describe ACV and white vinegar use for clarifying buildup from the hair)

One-Handed Typist, NAK birdiefu's Avatar
    Length
    14/42/??
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Next time you get soap scum buildup in bathtub or sink, try pouring some dilute vinegar over it. Then tell me that vinegar does not cut buildup.

(PS--there are many web sites that describe ACV and white vinegar use for clarifying buildup from the hair)
    I agree with you, spidermom. I often wondered how vinegar would know that what it's removing is only from *this* particular wash . I mean, you washed your hair first, it's sopping wet, and any build-up is probably smooshy on your strands waiting for the right thing to remove it.

Granted, vinegar can only remove some things- cones, oils, and waxes are obviously beyond it's capabilities. But soap scum and minerals are more of it's forte. It's not a universal clarifier, but it does have a role in clarifying certain types of build-up.

When I dump some vinegar in my toilet and let it sit, it sure makes it super easy to get off that yellowy hard coating of deposits, that usually I can scrub till the cows come home and they are still there! (I'm speaking minerals, not um...excrement)

From BSL to Classic in 4 years, thanks LHC!
    Waiting for DH to come home safe from Iraq around May '10