Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby baldys?

Length
    17/18/33

Unhappy baby baldys?

I'm not sure if I should be worried, but lately I'm finding all these mini-bald-spots around my head. Today I misted my hair (I guess it's not really misting if your hair comes out dripping wet...) and did my night-time french braid. When I was done and looked in my 3-way mirror to check it out, I saw that I pulled one of the top sections of the braid too high and exposed some of my scalp. In the middle of it is one of those spots (visible because it's white and the hair around it is just my roots being pulled in different directions, so it's not as big as it seems.)

Pictures:

They're clickable, by the way, if you want a better look.
    Could anyone tell me if these are just those normal spots where hair is less common or something or is it something I should be iffy about? They're not that big so I'm not freaking out, but it's still weird because I've never found them before. Or maybe I just never paid attention .

TIA.

Length
    17/37.5/53
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Well, I'm not an expert, but that looks kinda iffy to me. Maybe you pull your hair too tight when you're braiding it and have pulled some out? It may be a sign of something more serious, though. Just to be safe, I would see a doctor.

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

It could just be the way your hair parts - some people refer to it as scalp cleavage around here. That said, it could be worth getting it checked by your doctor, to make sure it's not a medical issue.
    Have you been shedding more than usual lately?

Have you heard of Moonchaser's Sweet Success Oil? I know some people on LHC have had some luck stimulating hair growth in thin patches using this oil, but I haven't used it myself.

--Natalie

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

It could also be something old. I have two of those mini bald spots, one is from a bicycle accident and the other one is from when I had chickenpox when I was 5 and could not resist to scratch. Both of them are really small and almost invisible, but I can feel the small bald spots there. Sometimes the hair on scalp scars does not grow back.
    Maybe it could be something like this and you joust did not notice it before. But if you donīt remember any old accidents where scalp skin was hurt you should visit a dermatologist and see if there is something wrong with your skin, before it getīs worse.

Length
    8"/30"/Term
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

If it were me, I would see a doctor of some sort. That can be a sign of internal trouble, or it might be nothing, but there is only one way to find out and that is to look in to it. I am more in to holistic healthcare, personally. Do you have a holistic practicioner where you live?

Mary <><
    Matthew 5:14-16

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'd keep an eye on them, maybe try applying one of the oils or Monistat (see that monster thread) and see if they re-grow hair. Also make sure you don't have the hair pulled unusually tight in that area. Massage them a little or maybe stimulate with a BBB.

If you don't see re-growth, and you can't attribute them to scars like Finoriel, I'd go see a dermatologist within a month or so. It's scary (especially around here) to mention it, but I've heard of alopecia starting with a smallish bald spot or two.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    I'd keep an eye on them, maybe try applying one of the oils or Monistat (see that monster thread) and see if they re-grow hair. Also make sure you don't have the hair pulled unusually tight in that area. Massage them a little or maybe stimulate with a BBB.

If you don't see re-growth, and you can't attribute them to scars like Finoriel, I'd go see a dermatologist within a month or so. It's scary (especially around here) to mention it, but I've heard of alopecia starting with a smallish bald spot or two.
    Agree with the monistat. Also check this site http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alopecia_areata Yours doesn't look anywhere close to it but it's better to keep an eye & probably see a doc about it
    SANA
    ultrashort/APL/tailbone

Type
    2c/M/ii

I would say that is scalp cleavage. I have it like crazy all over the back of my head - my hair grows in swirls. When I pull my hair back in a certain way they pop out and look just like that. They are even visible on my crown when my hair is down, and always have been. I am not balding, my hair just parts itself and grows away from the spots in different directions, giving the appearence of gaps. If my hair is back tightly they appear larger.

I have to admit I hate they way they look, but they are easy to cover by loosening sections of hair.

My dad has cowlicks all over his head too. In pictures of him when he was younger, his hair sprouts up in all directions.

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

well it could be just scalp clevage as the pp says , now that I noticed your hair in some special sort of braid in the picture. I get that too when I french braid sometimes
    SANA
    ultrashort/APL/tailbone

Length
    24/28/33.5
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

If this is a recent development you should see your general practitioner for blood tests and if nothing is found then a dermatologist. I would hold off on monistat until I knew more, but I'd try it if the doctors could not help me.
    [URL="http://Hair1.jpg"][SIGPIC]