Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hair dye trauma!

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Question hair dye trauma!

Hey, everyone! I'm so glad we're back online. :]

I need help with a dilemma. I'm currently in a production of Anything Goes, and for my role, I have to dye my hair black. Originally, my director asked me to permanently dye my hair a dark brown, but I asked if I could use a spray-in dye. She agreed, and we tried it for the first time last Saturday. We only sprayed the back of my head, and my hair was in a braid, because that's the only part of my hair the audience sees.
    Not only did the spray leave my hair black, but it also left it incredibly stiff and gross.
    When I got home Saturday night, I spent an entire hour in the shower trying to wash my hair. I used: my bottle of shampoo, a bottle of liquid soap, a bar of soap, conditioner, and half of my bottle of deep conditioner. The color will not remove from my hair. It's also still a little stiff from the spray, despite the deep conditioning.
    It's faded, thanks to the work of washing it out, but it's still streaky and very dark. I really loved the hair color I had, and I was trying to prevent destroying it, but I guess I failed at that.
    Is there anything I can do to get my hair back to the color I had, without totally destroying the condition of it? Is there any way short of bleaching it that I can get it to a lighter color?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    curly, wurly, and waist!

Why on earth didn't your director just get you a wig?? That sounds awful hon Which spray-on dye did you use, by chance?

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

The wigs were too expensive. We're on a very limited budget, as we're just a high school, and our administration doesn't like the arts programs at all. {We even have to rent a theater because they don't have one}
    The spray I used was one I just picked up at a party store. Bad idea, I know, but I couldn't find any at any other store. I even went to Hot Topic and THEY didn't have any.
    curly, wurly, and waist!

Length
    pixie/waist/tb
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Maybe try an SMT? Honey has been proven to lighten hair color and remove deposits such as old hair color and henna. If you do henna your hair you can always reapply once the dark color has been dealth with.

I think I might go for that option and see if there's any improvement.

*hugs* I hope it clears up.

Length
    16"/30"/Class
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Oh no, that sucks *hugs* I second the SMT idea, and maybe you could try a citric acid rinse, or a chelating shampoo from a salon? Deep oilings might help too, with the colour and the dryness. Also, have you tried e-mailing or phoning the company that made the spray on colour? Maybe they have some tips. If it did this to your beautiful red colour, imagine what it would do to blondes! You can't be the first person this has happened to.

Length
    baby/59"/60
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Did somebody say something about Tea Tree oil helping with lightening henna, or did I dream that?

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

What if you try clarifying? I know you said you washed to death but maybe the baking soda will really strip it all off and then you can just do a deep conditioning. p.s nightshade reccomended to me baby shampoo to lighten my dyed black hair. She said the alkaline strips it. I haven't tried this yet; so it just an idea to try.
    Last edited by lora410; March 10th, 2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: To add more info
    ​Jesus saved my life and is my savior
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP
    Nov 8th update pict

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

If you do an SMT, don't warm it up! The lightening powers of honey are supposed to be inactivated when it's heated.

I hesitate to add it, but I've heard some people have had luck getting stuff out of their hair with dish soap. Condition REALLY REALLY well afterward if you use it.

I've seen something called "Color Pulse" at the store a few times. I'm sure it comes in black, but it's a 1-2 week washout dye. That or something like Manic Panic might be a better option if you have more performances to do. They'll take a while to fade, though, especially if you hair is porous or damaged.

P.S. Don't bleach it, that'll be worse for the condition than anything else. What detergents and honey won't fade, time and growth will.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    13/32/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I have no tip on the hair color removal. Just want to mention about wigs. Real wigs are expensive, but if all you need is a braid showing you wouldn't need a real wig. Go to Wal-mart and check their section with ethnic hair care stuff. They usually have very cheap fake hair there in brown, dark brown and black. About a few dollars I think. Grab a pack of black one and make yourself a braid. Sure it's probably not gonna feel like a real one but nobody will be touching it anyway.