Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Styles that can be held with Ficcare (Maximas, Innovations, Superclips, any ficcare!)

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Styles that can be held with Ficcare (Maximas, Innovations, Superclips, any ficcare!)

(Original post waaaay below)

Style that can be held with...

Dolphin clip: Beebutt bun, folded braid, cinnabun, peacock twist, knot bun

Maximas/Ficcarisimo: cinnamon bun, figure 8, braided figure 8, french twist, celtic knot, log roll, folded braid, half up bun, peacock twist, wrap knot bun, Karen-lynn knot bun, lazy 8 bun, equilibrium bun, infinity bun, stickless bun, inside-out bun, puffy bun

Innovation (beak): french twist (down the middle), figure 8, cinnamon bun, celtic knot, infinity buns, tri-coil buns, braided buns, puffy bun

Millenium: figure 8, cinnamon bun, celtic knot, log rolls, french twist

Super clip: cinnamon bun, celtic knot, wrap knot bun (plus possibly any style that can be held with the Maximas OR the Innovation, due to its design)

original:
    I've noticed there isn't really a list of styles that can be held with ficcares (of all types, from the dolphin clip to the superclip), soooo...

Seeing as I'm developing a bit of a collection (mostly Maximas, with a dolphin clip on the way) I've been wondering about all the possible ficcare styles in the world.

So share yours!

My favorite ficcare style, held with a maximas, is probably the French Twist. I can't (yet) get a cinnabun to hold, and my hair is too short and thick for a figure 8 or a log roll yet. Sometimes I wear a peacock twist too.

I'm assuming all these styles can also be held with a dolphin clip?

I want a beak clip as well, but those clips seem limited in the types of styles it can hold... though when I think about it, if one uses it as if it were a (hinged) fork, one might be able to get a variety of styles.
    Last edited by akurah; May 5th, 2008 at 10:45 AM. Reason: makin' my list
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1b/M/ii

I really like the way beak clips look but from what I've heard there not that versatile. If anyone wants to chime in and say I'm wrong I'd be very happy. I really want to justify the purchase of one. For me the standard is just a typical cinnabun held with a large maxima.

I did then what I knew how to do. When I knew better, I did better. Maya Angelou

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by akurah View Post
    My favorite ficcare style, held with a maximas, is probably the French Twist. I can't (yet) get a cinnabun to hold, and my hair is too short and thick for a figure 8 or a log roll yet. Sometimes I wear a peacock twist too.

I'm assuming all these styles can also be held with a dolphin clip?

I want a beak clip as well, but those clips seem limited in the types of styles it can hold... though when I think about it, if one uses it as if it were a (hinged) fork, one might be able to get a variety of styles.
    I haven't had much luck with dolphins. The bottom of the clip is weak and flexible and the top have that giant set of teeth. If you have thick hair I think it will be difficult to get it over an updo with any bulk.

Beak clips are hard to insert comfortably. They will hold almost anything, but their round prongs and the huge curve in the clip makes it difficult to find a sweet spot.

Here's my list.

Large dolphin: bee butt bun.
    Small dolphin: half up, or clipped at base of a single braid folded in half (holds this firmly but looks like it is on its last leg).

Maximas: cinnamon bun, figure 8, french twist, celtic knot, log roll.

Innovation (beak): french twist (down the middle), figure 8, cinnamon bun, celtic knot.

Millenium: figure 8, cinnamon bun, celtic knot.

Super clip: cinnamon bun, celtic knot, maybe others but haven't tried.

Ficcarissimo: don't own any.

Note: when I list cinnamon bun I mean the plain one, but usually it will hold the myriad of other round-ish buns just as well.
    Last edited by Cinnamon Hair; April 30th, 2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: explaining why I quoted text

Length
    < apl/calf/floor
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I was just thinking of making a list of specific styles that I use with each type of Ficcare. Great thread, more inspiration

Beak/Innovation clips: Infinity buns, Tri-coil buns, Figure-8's, Braided buns, Log rolls, celtic knots

Millennium clips: Cinna-buns, Figure-8 buns, Log-rolls

Maximas: Log rolls only

Lady Eboshi from Princess Mononoke

Bringer of teh lolz Miss Murphy's Avatar
    Length
    ear/BSL/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Great thread!

I can only contribute:

Maximas: folded braid, french twist.
    Lady Entropy of the Lawless Lands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!
    Bringer of teh lolz (bringer of the laughs) - check out the lolcritters-thread!

Secwet Wannabee Wavee Juliet's Silk's Avatar
    Length
    20/35/thick
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Let's see - I can't do many different styles with my Ficcare either, so that's a great thread!

Maximas (Large)
    Log Roll
    some kind of "half up" bun with a tail hanging down like here
    sometimes, when I'm really lucky, a cinnamon bun will hold as well but it doesn't look good so I'm only doing that when I'm desperate.

Maximas (Medium)
    "shortened" ponytail, or Waterfall twist - partly french braid the hair, then fold the braid up against the head and pin it with the Ficcare, the remaining (unbraided) length of the hair covers the Ficcare and looks a bit like a ponytail. Only works with a medium Ficcare as the Larger don't have enough hair to hold onto, at least with my thickness
    folded braid - braid, then fold the braid up and pin at the nape (like here but with Ficcare instead of a slide)

Beak clip (Medium)
    I could hold all sorts of buns with the beak clip (example) unless they were twisted too tightly, but I have sticks for that so I swapped the beak away

Most of the time I'm content with the fact that I can only do easy updos with the Ficcare - this way, the Ficcare is the highlight of the updo and not the updo itself. If I wear one of my Ficcare, I want to show THEM off, not my hair, so that's okay.

LHC meet Sept. 2006
    Quo vadis?

Chocolate domino anyone.. darl_in1's Avatar
    Length
    44"/SL/SL

I notice you have type iii hair. Exactly how thick and long it is will effect what you can do.

I used to be *very* limited with what I could do with my ficcares. I'm not sure if mines any thicker than others with type iii who have posted, but for reference, my ponytail circ. is about 5.5".

Long hair (approx. 44") - Large max wouldn't hold any type of bun, other than occasionally I got it to hold at the top of a bee butt, but the weight of the bun generally pulled it out eventually. They wouldn't go over a log roll. I could use them for French twists (big sharks fin ones!) though they too would fall out eventually. My innovation would hold a French twist (it's worn differnetly, but worked if I kinda stabbed it through the twist, rather than going over the top), though again the weight of my hair often meant that it would fall out eventually. However, most people, with longer hair than I had, did manage to use them far more than I did, so whether it's because my hair is so thick, I don't know. Then again, it's entirely possible that I'm just rubbish at doing the styles! It should point out though, that despite my inability to make good use of ficcares at that length - they were the *only* clip I could use at all. Other clips would even hold a half-up.

Shorter hair (Shoulder length & layered) - Ficcares are my friend!! My large maxs have now become my daily staple when I put my hair up. I usually wear them in French twists or peacock twists. I now totally understand why people find them so useful! I am luck in as much as, even though my hair is only SL now, I can still use my large ficcares, even for half-ups. So, I haven't - what's the opposite of 'grown out of them'? ...shrunk out of them?

What I really want to try now, is the superclip (that's the one that's a cross between the max and the beak right?) as it's purported to hold thick hair really well, but has the look of a beak, which I really like (plus I'm an addict and I just want one).
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning" Catherine Aird
    Blog

Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Doubt my post will be much of a contribution, since I can only do about 5 updos, all counted! But still, here we are:

Maximas (L): Logroll, messy Figure-8, messy wrap-knot bun

Superclip (L): Cinnabun, wrap-knot bun

There you go. What a huge addition to the knowledge bank.

OT: Eboshi - I take it you either really like or really hate salty plums....??

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I only have large Maxims clips and I use them for:
    I tried it with a figure 8, but when I clip across the center the top loop flops all over. For those that use them on Figure 8s, how are you getting that not to happen short of pins?

Length
    28/tlb/tlb
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii

Maximas (large)/ Ficcarisimo (large- acts the same way as a maximas) - Log roll, Folded braid, Figure 8, braided figure8 and log roll. Shortened ponytail log roll version, KarenLynn knot bun.

Millenium Large- Cinamon bun, Lazy/untwisted cinamon bun, Lazy 8 bun, double loop knot if I get it just right.
    I have no clue how people get it to work on figure 8's they catapult out of mine.

Indian Herb Article Wstern Herb Article 2b/C/ii/iii .
    Lady Aes Cyprium, Potionmaker and Alchemist to the Order of the Long Haired Knights