Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I cannot do a rope braid.

Default I cannot do a rope braid.

I've been trying to do TorrinPaige's 2 strand rope braid to no avail. I just can't do it. Whenever I do it, it seems to just... not hold shape. I feel like I'm doing it too tight, but my hair would say otherwise.

I don't think it could be dumbed down anymore, but I just don't get it. Are my sections too thick? Not tight enough? Too tight? I have no idea. There's a picture in one of my albums (I think) of my first failed attempt. I keep getting the same results no matter what I do.

Length
    36/42/42+
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: I cannot do a rope braid.

Just had a quick look at your pic. Still looks pretty, but it looks like you're twisting the strands the wrong way. The need to be twisted the same way first, then twisted together the opposite way I think. Could be wrong. Just take a real close look at the video to check which way you should be twisting things. Torrin's videos are great.

I recently did my first rope braid and to my amazement it worked. I got lucky I guess. It'll just take practise and before you know it you'll be a dab hand at them.
    On the long journey past Classic length onto Knee length and happy hair....
    Heat free | La Riche Directions for Colour

Length
    12/48/term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Really? I thought Torrin does a good job of explaining. Have you looked at other tutorials?

I always start with a ponytail. Usually high, since I like to bun it afterwards.

Ok, high ponytail. Two equal sections. Make sure you twist both sections the same way. Like I twist counterclockwise, on both of them. I start twisting as close to the ponytail holder as possible. I do it TIGHT, some people don't like to do it as tight. Then since I twisted my sections counterclockwise, I twist the sections together clockwise. I start this twist HIGH up the sections.

In your album it just looks like you twisted one section the wrong way.
    Hippie at Heart

Maybe I AM twisting them the wrong way. I love Torrin's vids and she does do a great job of explaining things- but my mind is.. kind of broken lol. I'm not good with left-right-clockwise-counterclockwise.

I think I AM twisting one the wrong way, because I just tried a second vid, one that didn't use a ponytail and did it a bit differently- and I got the same results. HMMM. Okay, I'm going to keep doing this until I get it right. Perhaps doing it on one of my mannikin heads would help me learn.

Length
    SL/40"/??
    Type
    1b/F/M/iii

I just took a look, too. I agree with everyone else. The two sections are twisted in opposite directions when they should be twisted in the same direction. It took me forever to figure out how to rope braid. Now that I figured it out, it's a piece of cake. Keep trying! You'll get it!

Length
    28/45/36
    Type
    1b/M/C/iii

Yeah in the picture it looks like you twisting the sections the same way and you twist them together.
    Like make the strands, 2 or 3 and twist them clockwise...then twist them in together the other way, opposite, so counter clockwise...
    * Ann @ Last.FM * Hair Journal *
    I'm past goal, I don't know what I'm doing now.

Length
    12/48/term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by coscass View Post
    Maybe I AM twisting them the wrong way. I love Torrin's vids and she does do a great job of explaining things- but my mind is.. kind of broken lol. I'm not good with left-right-clockwise-counterclockwise.

I think I AM twisting one the wrong way, because I just tried a second vid, one that didn't use a ponytail and did it a bit differently- and I got the same results. HMMM. Okay, I'm going to keep doing this until I get it right. Perhaps doing it on one of my mannikin heads would help me learn.

You will get it! Some hair styles just take longer, my white whale was the figure 8. One way I just threw my hair up and it WORKED.

I also prefer to do this with wet or atleast damp hair. It makes my hair more 'polished' looking.

This was my first 'good' attempt(with wet hair, excuse the crown area): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ictureid=46501

You will get it! Cheering for you!
    Hippie at Heart

Length
    27/32/35
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I just tried it, it took me a few tries, but I got a decent looking one at the end. You just have to twist the first strands tight. I choose to twist them towards my left shoulder. Then hold them together and twist the thick bundle towards your right shoulder, also tight. Secure, let go. It became a rather soft rope braid, but nice, thick and even. You will get it, if I did eventually.

YOU GUYS I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!! It looks REALLY BAD BUT I DID IT!

*Happy dance* Off to take pictures!

Lover of Rainbows & Curls Quixii's Avatar
    Length
    0?/knee+/knee
    Type
    3a/F/M/ii/iii

I kept doing that until tried it on my mom's hair. Once I saw how to do it in front of me, I could do it in my own hair.
    What helped me is thinking "I have to twist this section towards the face." So I think towards the face, not "counterclockwise" or whatever, which ends up confusing me. Then you twist really tight.
    Knee+ length! Lady Gel˘s, Keeper of the Silken Aulaeum in the Order of the Long Haired Knights <3