Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stringy hair?

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Stringy hair?

What causes this? My daughter has fine blond hair and she swims 3x a week. I don't shampoo it and just condition. I've tried different conditioners and some leave-ins. Soon after we brush it, it kind of clumps back together again and looks stringy. It feels soft and looks nice when it's brushed but doesn't stay and seems to tangle easily. She's 5 so some of the tangling is from rolling around on the floor but... Any suggestions?

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Stringy hair?

It may be buildup from only conditioner as well as pool chemicals. Stringiness generally comes from too much moisture buildup.

I would give it a good diluted shampoo every now and then and see how that works.

On the other hand, what 5 year old doesn't have a stringy mess of tangles withing minutes after brushing

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

My fine hair has the tendency to look stringy, too. I think it's a common thing for fine haireds. Maybe the condish is weighing it down as the PP said? You can try a dilluted baking soda wash ( 1/2 tablespoon baking soda in about a cup of warm water) followed by an acidic rinse ( dilluded vinegar, like just a teaspoon in water; tea; lemon juice, etc). This will close the cuticle and make the hair shine. The baking soda is clarifying so it should remove any buildup.

This works for me... I haven't used S&C in five months now.

Length
    short/BSL/Waist
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I'm laying my hopes into a boar bristle brush for the sime life long problem.

I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith. Looking for Large Aqua Border and Large Multistripe Blue and Silver Ficcare Maximas.

Length
    1/class/?
    Type
    1a/M/ii

Stringyness can be product related as others already mentioned, but also hair-type related. Especially fine and thin hair just tends to be like that and children hair usually is fine and thin before hormones kick in. I had seriously stringy hair as a child and I think thatīs the reason why I had it above shoulder-length at that age to make it less obvious and easier to detangle. But eventually as I got older the issue resolved itself and I got thicker and more hair.
    Iīd say donīt worry about it for her. Children usually donīt care about how they look and as long as it does not bother her itīs a bliss. Itīs soon enough when teenagers get insecure about their appearance and worry about perfect skin / clothes / hair / image whatever.

Oh and Iīd not use baking soda on a child. Itīs a very reactive chemical and could do more harm than good. Baking soda and acids are not pleasant to get in ones eyes and bad early childhood experiences can seriously spoil the fun of experimenting with this kind of things for the rest of ones live. (Ha donīt ask why Iīll never eat sourgrule ever again. Ick.)

Length
    23 in/29 in/34 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

I was wondering if you don't shampoo because you don't like SLS for your daughter? Or maybe you find it too drying? I'm wondering if the conditioner is maybe a little heavy for her hair at the moment? It could just be her hair type.

My daughter had hair like this when she was little. The tangles used to drive us both nuts. I ended up keeping it at a chin length bob which meant that she could wake up in the morning and head out without so much as a brush if we didn't want to. Once it got to her shoulders it would tangle so bad. I know this kind of goes against the forum here but she was at an age where her hair length was more important to me than to her so it made sense for her to be more comfortable even though I liked long hair better. She sure did look cute sporting that bob!

She is 11 now and her hair is about BSL and has been waist length. It is nothing like it used to be in that it is much thicker now but it still tangles.

I bought a Tangle Teaser which you can buy from the UK and that has made a big difference for both of us.

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I also think it's hair-type related, because for a period of time I just washed my hair with shampoo (without the conditioner that could weigh it down) and I still had stringy hair. Guess it's a part of having fine hair.
    'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent' - Eleanor Roosevelt

Coconut Oil

Length
    chin/hip/hip
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Finoriel View Post

Oh and Iīd not use baking soda on a child. Itīs a very reactive chemical and could do more harm than good. Baking soda and acids are not pleasant to get in ones eyes and bad early childhood experiences can seriously spoil the fun of experimenting with this kind of things for the rest of ones live. (Ha donīt ask why Iīll never eat sourgrule ever again. Ick.)
    True! Thanx for bringing that out ! Children's hair is different from adults hair.

You could try WO in between CO washes. Her hair is probably not prodicing a lot of sebum yet, and it could cut down on the conditioner buildup.

Length
    pixie/cheek/BS
    Type
    1a/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by julliams View Post
    My daughter had hair like this when she was little. The tangles used to drive us both nuts. I ended up keeping it at a chin length bob which meant that she could wake up in the morning and head out without so much as a brush if we didn't want to. Once it got to her shoulders it would tangle so bad. I know this kind of goes against the forum here but she was at an age where her hair length was more important to me than to her so it made sense for her to be more comfortable even though I liked long hair better. She sure did look cute sporting that bob!
    I am the same way. My daughter is now 8 and finally wants to grow her hair out, so we are. But since she was about 4, she was sporting a chin length bob, because it was easier up keep. She doesn't like tangles and in the summer her hair doesn't look as stringy.
    Last edited by Bethie; April 8th, 2010 at 07:10 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Type
    1c/F/i

Mine always gets stringy, too - i always thought it was because it's so thin and fine, but then i started noticing it was worse in certain weather - if it's very humid, my hair waves a bit and clumps (not frizz, just clumping) - in very dry weather, it just sits there limp and altogether in a sheet! - maybe some humidity control product? not sure if hers will be the same cause, but hth.