Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Henna Haters Unite!

Length
    29"/34/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Henna Haters Unite!

Quote Originally Posted by Of the Fae View Post
    Back for the first time in years but, I wanted to share my experience too!
    I have used henna for 10 years, and I love it. However, one thing that is a big downside is that it does not go out of your hair ever. I had been trying to grow it out in order to decide whether I wanted to have my natural shade back (light ash blonde), but 9 months in, I changed my mind like I always do and embrace henna again like I have for the past decade. For people who are fickle with hair color henna is a bad choice!
    Also, it tends to soften waves so if your hair is wavy it may turn straight. I generally braid it more when it is hennaed because that way I have a bit more wave. I think this is because henna adds to the protein of your hair, binds to the keratin molecules and maybe that weighs it down. It makes hair heavier and thicker.

For those experiencing very dry hair: I only ever had this with compound henna that contained metallic salts, or when I used too much lemon juice. But everyones hair is so very different, and the magical solution for one person's hair might be the worst for another, so it is super important to recognize personal variation.
    Important tip: If you have fine hair, like me, love henna, but experience breakage during and after application because the mud hardens, or the acidic mix was too acidic, adjusting the consistency of your mix and using a finer sift of henna can make a world of difference!

I also noticed that the information about henna has improved over recent years, but I still hear people on YouTube stating that henna coats the hair and does not penetrate it, and that it is a demipermanent, both of which are the opposite of the truth :P I think many people got into trouble taking that advice and thinking henna would be like natural Manic Panic :P
    Dry hair can also be because it acts like protein. I get dry hair from henna so I do an SMT the day or so after I use it. Mind you, I use it more for colour than anything else.

Length
    Pit/Pit/BSL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii/iii

Henna! I still love it, I could never hate it! I used it to color my hair for..... almost 10 years? I've always loved red hair. I loved red hair on me. But I love blonde too, I love it on me a tad bit more than the red. As wonderful as henna is, it is a lover that won't let you go easily. The separation was an extreme process for me. Lots of bleaching, lots of damage. I was able to mitigate the damage, but of course you can't reverse it.

Length
    .5"/TBL/MTL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii

I'm not a fan of henna/indigo, but I don't think I have given up just yet. I talked to a long haired lady on YouTube who swears by henna mixed with coconut milk. It removes the dry/brittle feeling. Her words, not mine. I wonder if coconut oil AND coconut milk will be even better. I may give it another try one day.

Btw, it looks like you found the culprit.... lemon!