Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Split Ends

Length
    14/25/34
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Default Split Ends

One problem I've always had with my hair is its "natural" tendency to split and subsequently become unmanagable and non-shiney and just no fun. Are there ways to keep off the split ends? I only use a boar bristle brush and a wide toothed comb, Tresemme conditioner, and I pretty much leave it be. I get it trimmed once every three months (1/2 inch). Are there oils I should be using? Any tricks of the trade you guys know to keep it nice between trims?

Length
    short/41/45"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

BBB cause damage (supposedly) are you using a seam free comb? you can file down the seams with 600 grit sandpaper..
    can i call this classic length

Length
    14/25/34
    Type
    3a/M/ii

So should I just avoid brushes all together? I thought BBB were the safe ones! >_<. The comb is seam free, yes.

BBBs are NOT safe for everyone. Pure evil for me! As a curly, I am not sure you need a brush anyway. Have you read the Curly Girl book?

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

As a curly, I would imagine you need lots of moisture to avoid splits. Do you use a leave in? How often do you wash? How often do you shampoo?

Some suggestions:
    Try CO or CWC
    Wash or use a mister (about a tablespoon of conditioner to 8oz water in a spray bottle) to wet your ends every day.
    Deep conditioning treatments weekly or biweekly
    Throw away your blowdryer

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

And don't wash your hair in hot water. It can be warm, but the cooler side of warm is better.

As a curly, you'll probably do better without brushing. Try to get a seamless comb, or at least a comb that doesn't have a visible seam.

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

BBB is useful for distributing oil. and i recommend only useing it on hair that is an oil slick. for those of us that go a few weeks without washing it is calm to the scalp as it moves the build up a bit lower but i would NEVER use it on my ends unless i doused them with coconut oil first!

All the above suggestions are what i would have said also
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

I recently found a hair brush made from wood and I am in love with it. I threw away my boar bristle brushes because the wooden brush is a million times better. The BBB were awful and didn't untangle my hair at all. I gave one of them to my dog so she can bite and clean her teeth on it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by OhioLisa View Post
    BBBs are NOT safe for everyone. Pure evil for me! As a curly, I am not sure you need a brush anyway. Have you read the Curly Girl book?

where do you find a curly girl book?

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii/iii

Keep your hair protected. I use Fox' shea butter balsam for my ends and it works for me. (Whip shea butter and jojoba oil, add a bit of your favorite conditioner). I put it on my ends before I bun.

Misting is good, I add jojoba oil to my mixture and shake it well.

Deep oil treatments before washing - olive oil for the lengths gives me very good results, very moisturizing.

Obviously you handle your hair very carefully already. I second the advice to ditch the BBB for a while and see whether a wide toothed, smooth comb is not a better solution.

I think moisture is what your hair needs. Moisture and protection will hopefully help prevent new split ends, S&D take care of the old ones.
    1b F ii/iii
    92cm/36.2"