Thread: Tangle question....

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Default Tangle question....

I've been having so many problems with tangles lately and I'm hoping someone can give my advice.

My hair is about 1 inch past shoulder and fairly thick so I can't do a lot of updos yet. I usually do either a pony tail or a peacock twist. I used to use tons of cones but they made my hair sooooo flat and I still suffered from tangles (back when my hair was at waist). The last 5-6 months I've been CO with VO5 and love the results as far as frizzies, shine, and just over all condition of my hair. I usually follow up with Biolage conditioning balm which is cone free but sometimes I would use a coney conditioner. I've done some research on LHC about tangles and when some have switched to cone free or vice versa it helped. So the last 3 weeks or so I've been cone free. I also got a small trim to even my ends up about 2 weeks ago. I thought the cone free helped, my hair has more body and it's wavier but now my tangles are back!!! I also clarify once a week usually with Kenra moisturizing shampoo and follow with the Biolage.

Any suggestions? Should I continue cone free longer to test it more or go back to cones (don't really want to but if I must!!) although that didn't seem to do much good. I'm just at a loss my hair isn't very long and I'm already running into problems. When my hair was waist I never really took care of it so I want to do things right this time

Thanks a bunch!!

Length
    SL/Hip/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Default Re: Tangle question....

Well, for one winter doesn't really help, especially winter materials. (Scarfs,etc.)... at least that's what I've found, plus winter is really drying for hair so I'd suggest moisture. Leave in conditioners + oils to seal in for example.
    Since you've been using it the last 5 months and it's been fine... it's probably winter! I have the exact same problem.
    Wobbly are the walls ofmy mind. ~ Hip onward to tailbone and beyond~ No trimming 2021 from 8th February 2021 ~ My hair type is Asian.

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Two potential causes for the tangles in the Kenra shampoo could be Hydrolized Wheat Protein (if your hair dislikes protein, this can lead to stiff, brittle, tangly hair), and Polyquaternium-10 (know here as "quats"), which acts in many ways like a silicone, potentially worse so, in that they seem to adhere to the hair much more strongly than silicones.

Maybe try clarifying with a very basic SLS shampoo, condition with no cones, then see.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by melikai View Post
    Two potential causes for the tangles in the Kenra shampoo could be Hydrolized Wheat Protein (if your hair dislikes protein, this can lead to stiff, brittle, tangly hair), and Polyquaternium-10 (know here as "quats"), which acts in many ways like a silicone, potentially worse so, in that they seem to adhere to the hair much more strongly than silicones.

Maybe try clarifying with a very basic SLS shampoo, condition with no cones, then see.
    I was not aware that quats acted similar to cones. Even though it's a 'moisturizing' shampoo, my hair always is sooooo dry after wash day but I just figured it was that I'm used to CO. So maybe like you said it's the quats or the protein because I don't know if my hair doesn't like protein or not.

Sammich: Good point about winter, my skin and everything is much drier and I have to admit I'm not the best with using oils.

So it looks like I should stay with cone free and try quat and protein free for a bit and add oils back in. Thanks I'll try it for a bit.