Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do sulfates do to hair?

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Default What do sulfates do to hair?

Hi,

So I've read that most shampoos have sulfates (which I guess is what makes the lather?) and many here avoid them. What do sulfates do to your hair?

Thanks!

Redophile / redophobe
    Length
    shdr/shdr/waist
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: What do sulfates do to hair?

You know the scratchy, velcro-y feeling you get after using an especially stripping shampoo? Many SLS (or ALS, ammonium lauryl sulfate) shampoos are thought to be harsh and overly cleanse the hair to the point where it is drying and breaks down the hair so to speak. In addition, many prefer not to use cones, which most SLS shampoos are meant to be used with. So, switching to a gentler shampoo and using a non-coney conditioner results in more moisturized, better balanced hair for some.

Length
    chin/clsic/knees
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i

I avoid SLS because it's used as a control substance against possible irritants because it is guaranteed to be irritating to skin.

I just can't fathom why companies think I would like to put a known irritant on my skin or hair when I don't have to. Madness!

They aren't all bad, of course. Few things clean like a sulfate shampoo! Many people aren't sensitive to them, either, so very little downsides to using them. People who are sensitive to them can get nasty rashes or sores on their scalp, though.

Type
    1a/M/ii

Just like cones, there are people who like SLS as well as those who don't. I have to use SLS. Otherwise I end up being a grease ball.

Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by duckish View Post
    I avoid SLS because it's used as a control substance against possible irritants because it is guaranteed to be irritating to skin.

I just can't fathom why companies think I would like to put a known irritant on my skin or hair when I don't have to. Madness!

They aren't all bad, of course. Few things clean like a sulfate shampoo! Many people aren't sensitive to them, either, so very little downsides to using them. People who are sensitive to them can get nasty rashes or sores on their scalp, though.
    Interesting.... I recently did a Cassia treatment on my sister & noticed her scalp to be very pink (before the cassia). Her husband says it's always like that, but it looked a little raw to me. Also she has irritated spots on her scalp near her neck that she picks at a lot & they aren't healing..... maybe I need to get her off sulfates! Not sure if she'll go for that, tho.... But I've been trying soapnut foam on myself, I'll try to hook her.
    Last edited by Talula; January 28th, 2010 at 11:56 PM.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Some people can wash their hands quite often with a tough brand of soap and be no worse for wear. Others do that and their hands will dry out and get very uncomfortable. That can relate to why some people don't like sulfates while others use them regularly. It's ultimately how the hair and scalp of the individual reacts to the level of cleaning (or the reaction to the chemicals) that sulfates provide. Will it be more boon than burden or the other way around? That is one of the big reasons a lot of members will do lots of trial routines to see what ends up working.

Length
    chin/clsic/knees
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Interesting.... I recently did a Cassia treatment on my sister & noticed her scalp to be very pink. Her husband says it's always like that, but it looked a little raw to me. Also she has irritated spots on her scalp near her neck that she picks at a lot & they aren't healing..... maybe I need to get her off sulfates! Not sure if she'll go for that, tho.... But I've been trying soapnut foam on myself, I'll try to hook her.

It's definitely possible. Doesn't hurt much to avoid it temporarily.

Length
    12/33/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

One other thing to consider about sulphates/detergents are the harmful impact on the environment, especially the waterways.
    current:hip 33"
    1st goal: waist 32"
    2nd goal tailbone 37" (40'' wet)

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

they strip the hair of oil and product but sometimes they strip the hair too much and it becomes damaging

Length
    Buzz/hip/class
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

I use my shampoo diluted and have various kinds some with sulphates and some without but 80&#37; are sulphate free, like I said I dilute say 20% shampoo with 80% water.
    Buzz October 2015 to get rid of bendigo and lots of other damage, now Al natural and loving it....where will my journey end? I will tell you when I get there. Lifelong Co washer and LOC method currentl approaching curly hip