Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The grass is always greener ...

tangle teezer evangelist freckles's Avatar
    Length
    26/tb/tb
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default The grass is always greener ...

... so I thought it would be fun to list advantages of the hair types we HAVE, in celebration of who we are.
    Sometimes I get so down thinking of the hair type I would LIKE, and it's pointless because I can't change it! So I thought we could talk about what we LIKE about our OWN hairtypes, and maybe if we can't think of something, other people could chime in

I really don't want this to be interpreted/turned into bashing other hairtypes, but a recognition that all hairtypes are great, and all have certain advantages, and to get people happy about what luck threw at us

So I'll start ...

I have CURL ENVY to a high degree (curls are beautiful <3). And I have poker-straight hair. But now that I know how many curlies have to be careful with brushing/combing in order to avoid frizz, I have a new appreciation for my hair. It doesn't know the meaning of the word frizz, and LOVES being combed. And I love the smooth look when it's all neatly brushed out.

I ADORE the look of thick hair, down. And I adore the complex styles that can be created with it up (I just don't really have enough hair for some of the very complex, start-with-multiple-braids stuff). And thick braids look amazing! But I really value that my thin-ish hair reaches the right length to do certain styles more quickly, and it also seems from some stuff I've read here that it's probably easier/quicker to contain my thin hair. So, I am learning to appreciate that quality

The only one I'm stuck on is being a 'finey'. My hair breaks so easily and I can't think of ANY advantages to fine hair Anyone want to help me out?

I hope this thread doesn't offend anyone. Join in!
    don't know whether your hair is brown or red? us neither!
    hit my length goal of tailbone ... now learning to maintain and aiming to reduce split ends!

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: The grass is always greener ...

I have thick, coarse hair that is virtually indestructible.

If I ever have to mend or stitch anything and have run out of thread, I use one of my tough old hairs as thread.

My hair also comes in 4 distinct colours - black, white, dark brown and reddish brown - so I can usually find a hair to match the fabric (not blues and purples of course!).
    Amo, amas, amat, amodimethicone, ammonium laureth sulphate....I'm feeling the love .

Length
    Pixie/U-BSL/Happy
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by freckles View Post
    ... so I thought it would be fun to list advantages of the hair types we HAVE, in celebration of who we are.
    Sometimes I get so down thinking of the hair type I would LIKE, and it's pointless because I can't change it! So I thought we could talk about what we LIKE about our OWN hairtypes, and maybe if we can't think of something, other people could chime in

I really don't want this to be interpreted/turned into bashing other hairtypes, but a recognition that all hairtypes are great, and all have certain advantages, and to get people happy about what luck threw at us

So I'll start ...

I have CURL ENVY to a high degree (curls are beautiful <3). And I have poker-straight hair. But now that I know how many curlies have to be careful with brushing/combing in order to avoid frizz, I have a new appreciation for my hair. It doesn't know the meaning of the word frizz, and LOVES being combed. And I love the smooth look when it's all neatly brushed out.

I ADORE the look of thick hair, down. And I adore the complex styles that can be created with it up (I just don't really have enough hair for some of the very complex, start-with-multiple-braids stuff). And thick braids look amazing! But I really value that my thin-ish hair reaches the right length to do certain styles more quickly, and it also seems from some stuff I've read here that it's probably easier/quicker to contain my thin hair. So, I am learning to appreciate that quality

The only one I'm stuck on is being a 'finey'. My hair breaks so easily and I can't think of ANY advantages to fine hair Anyone want to help me out?

I hope this thread doesn't offend anyone. Join in!

What a great idea!!!

I have an envy of fine hair. My own hair used to be fine (and straight), but it has changed to a coarser over the recent years. I also have lot of wiry hairs now. I miss my fine hair as it was always so smooth and soft and shiny, and very easy to take care of and style.

I am learning to love my natural hair as it is. I have learned to love the waves already, and the volume my hair has and it has become thicker looking since individual hairs are thicker and it has lot of body.

It took over a year to learn to appreciate the waves after they appeared, because I was so used to being a straightie. What made it a bit difficult for me, is that I have different textures in my hair, some parts are about 1b and some about 2b. I have learned to work with it and it looks great!

I am also liking my own colour which I am growing out. It is ashy medium brown and looks like bronze It has lot of variation and natural high lights and some strands are even dark golden.

What I struggle with is to find good things about my wiry hairs. I am determined to accept them and to learn to like them, but it seems like a very long process. I'd like some help and fresh ideas from others, please!
    So far I have thought:

- they are usually quite thick
    --> making the hair as a whole look thicker (because they have lot of volume too)
    --> they might be stronger than other hairs (or maybe not?)
    - they have an interesting shine, like sparkling, glittering shine
    - They are wild, bohemian and independent.
    Last edited by Arctic; January 14th, 2010 at 05:15 AM.

Always behave like a duck -
    keep calm and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the devil underneath.

My hair has gotten curlier over the years, from about 1c to 2c. I sometimes miss the straight hair, but wurly hair has more body and bounce. Plus, it straightens out after a few days anyway.

The fineness of individual strands is not something I am ever going to love, I think. It's interesting how "fine" is generally a positive adjective, whereas "coarse" has negative connotations outside of hair talk. If someone can identify a good thing about fine hair, fire away!

Resident metalhead RavennaNight's Avatar
    Length
    bob/35/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

My hair has smoothed itself to a 1B/C over the past few years, and I love it. Because of henna I haven't had any frizz, I can just wash, comb, and go. I liked my waves, but am completely satisfied with my straighter texture. My hair is also resillient, as it withstood many years of dyeing with box dye and ironing and is still in one piece. I am eternally grateful that I ended up with indestructo-hair.

Length
    short/knee+/term?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I think the one good thing about fine hair is it's softness. I've had many people ask to touch it (which can get weird sometimes, but whatever) and they always comment on how soft it is.
    Lady Leokadia, Conjurer of Multilateral Arts in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    16"/22"/30"
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

My hair is fine and thin, it always has been and I'm guessing it always will be. As much as I will probably always have a secret little bit of curl and thickness envy, I appreaciate the ease of maintaining what I have.
    ...The world is my oyster and I am its pearl...

Length
    Pixie/BSL/BSL
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Othala View Post
    I have thick, coarse hair that is virtually indestructible.

If I ever have to mend or stitch anything and have run out of thread, I use one of my tough old hairs as thread.

My hair also comes in 4 distinct colours - black, white, dark brown and reddish brown - so I can usually find a hair to match the fabric (not blues and purples of course!).
    WOW!!! That is really cool, Othala!!!

Let's see... My hair is getting very, very silvery. When I put it up (in a half-up or a bun), the silvers are VERY noticeable and VERY extensive. I'm starting to like them -- I know people would pay good money for this type of "frosting" or "streaking," and I get it for free!

My hair is very soft. It is also somewhat chameleon-like in that it can be wavy and poofy one day and straightish and flatter the next. Its texture and volume give me a lot of options (and there will be even more options available once it gets longer).
    Last edited by Pixna; January 14th, 2010 at 08:31 AM.
    Proud Member of the Renegray Gang
    Lady Arethusa of the Gossamer Garden in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    15.75/22/25
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i/ii

Interesting topic.

I think most of us want something else in terms of hair (or looks, or body, or whatever) than we currently have. That's life.

For me, the biggest sticking point is thickness. My circumference is only 2.5 and it tapers to nothing. It was a sad day when I realized it wasn't only extensions for length that made certain celeb's hair look the way I wanted mine to - it's extensions for thickness as well. Sad!

Sometimes my texture makes me batty too. I used to have curly hair, now I have confused hair. On the left it's wavy, in the back it's almost straight and behind my right ear I have ringlets. Can someone explain that?

I can't wear my hair curly anymore, since it falls flat in 24 hours. But it's not straight enough to be "straight" so to make it look acceptable, I have to let it dry tight against my head. Any free drying equals major frizz. Plus no matter what I try, it never looks good after I wash it. It takes a day or two to look good.
    These pics were about 10 years ago... Trying again from similar to that short pic.

Length
    Jaw/Waist/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I have finally come to appreciate my waves and volume. I spend lat childhood in the 70's doing everything I could to persuade it to lie poker-straight, and the 80's cursing my lack of natural curl.

Now I have hair that wurls when it's in the mood, that is big without blow-drying or curling irons, that sneers at volumizing shampoo/conditioner.

Somewhere I recall reading that the ideal Edwardian hair was wavy, since it could be pinned up loosely and would bush out on its own, so you didn't need quite so much padding and teasing to get the "three heads of hair on one person" effect. Huzzah!!! My hair is Edwardian. I'm just living in the wrong era.
    Owning my vague creepiness . . .