Thread: *Suggestions for NEW Conditioner try, on med. thick hair?*

Length
    15 in/17 in/30 in
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default *Suggestions for NEW Conditioner try, on med. thick hair?*

Hello All!! Does anyone have any suggestions for a new Conditioner to try. Right now I am using Pantene Beautiful Lengths, and switch it up every so often with Biolage Conditioning Balm. I have heard great things about Giovanni and I have wanted to try Nature's Gate, but I am not sure where to start! Help and suggestions, greatly apprecited!
    *Happy Growing*

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: *Suggestions for NEW Conditioner try, on med. thick hair?*

I like the cheap stuff! I am using Suave Cocoanut conditioner.

I also just tried oiling my hair. I used apricot oil, because I had some on hand from making scented oils last spring. It is very nice so far. I oiled it from the ears down and went heavy on the ends and haven't washed it yet. I did that two days ago, and it's very nice feeling and looking.

I don't care for the TreSemme I bought. It feels too gunky.

Length
    <2"/~clsc/uhh..
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

When it comes to shower products it really boils down to trying various things to see what works for you. I don't use silicones (products with ingredients that end in -cone or -siloxane) because then I have to use a sulfate shampoo to get the buildup out. I also don't use sulfates because my hair is dry and it dries it out more. Proteins (it may say hydrolized something or just have protein in the name) don't work for me either, so I focus on stuff that would potentially be more moisturizing.

Products are a big mix and match game until you find out what your hair prefers. One person's preference may definitely not be another's.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I'm another who likes the cheap stuff. Suave Naturals conditioner, anything but coconut (too much protein for me!). I actually got dandruff when I tried switching to Aussie years ago, which I perceived as a "better" brand. I've been dabbling a bit with silicones lately, but I'm not sure I like them, and I don't really like having to shampoo to get them off.

One heads up: If you're using Pantene, you almost certainly will have to clarify regularly. I'd suggest using an SLS shampoo to suds your hair to the ends before evaluating another conditioner. That way you know you're getting the effects of the new one, rather than residual silicone effects from the Pantene.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    pixie/WL/???
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Give the Nature's Gate a good heavy whiff before you buy it. I have despised both types of Nature's Gate conditioners I have bought, and the scent stays in your hair for a while! I tried the Daily Herbal (smells like Christmas exploded in the shower -- soooo spicy), and the Jojoba Moisturizing (smells like strawberry Chap-Stik, or like a scented plastic toy -- very fake and cloyingly sweet).

I use Giovanni 50/50 conditioner when I use conditioner, and like it. But I don't have terribly dry hair.

Persistent Procrastinator teela1978's Avatar
    Length
    19/34/36
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Have you check out our reviews section at all? its rather under-used, but has many opinions on products present

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

If you don't want to use cones any more, a popular conditioner is Aubrey Organic's Honeysuckle Rose, as well as their Camellia conditioner. They are a bit more expensive though.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau