Thread: Crazy Halo advice

Length
    17.5/17.5/30
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii/iii

Default Crazy Halo advice

So, I have this crazy halo action happening and, I have a hard time trying to control it.
    First a brief digression:I had a baby two and a half years ago and went through a major post partum shed. Since then, (as all mothers I am sure would agree) I have spent a pitiful amount of time on myself and focused all of my attention on my son. I did lose all of my baby weight quite quickly and I had developped the bad habit of eating on the run which meant eating garbage or very little. I am sure this has contributed to the painfully slow regrowth of my hair.
    My hair is fine but I have always had an enormous amount of it.
    Currently, my ponytail circumference is 4'' and my hair is layered and is about 17.5'' long. I also have a fringe.
    Back to original subject:So, about six months ago I started eating properly again and take vitamins and suppements. I also have changed my hair care routine and basically went no-poo. Since then, I have had major regrowth hence, my ''beautiful halo''. Does anyone have any advice about halo control? because, I am starting to look like a Furby.

Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Crazy Halo advice

Take some time and surfe the boards, and you will find plenty of advice!

Nini

My friend's most impressive fourth ever braid on real hair a week after first learning, february-23.

Length
    25/29.5/36
    Type
    2c/F/i

Aloe vera gel is brilliant stuff. Works better than any expensive hairspray i've used. It is moisturising & easily washed out.

Length
    short/knee/knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Hi and welcome to the boards! I use some coconut oil to help tame down my halo when it decides to be all over the place.

Just take enough to coat my palms (lightly! not heavy) and run that over my head on top of my hair.

Aloe gel is another way you could help tame it.

I don't know your routine but sounds like a lot of healthy new growth coming in - if you use hair elastics remember to use the ones that cause the least breakage for your hair so you don't add broken hairs to your new hair growth.

OldTimer Older than LHC Teacherbear's Avatar
    Type
    2c/F/ii

I spritz my hair with distilled water and a little bit of leave in conditioner mixed in when I need a little more halo-control. Aloe vera gel works really well, too.
    Hmm, what should this say? I'm thinking . . .

Length
    shldr/tlbn/fgrtp
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

When I used to have frizz halo problems, I tried all the serums, leave in conditioners, and other stuff but it didn't work. So, I found a method that got my frizz to lie down, that is, until it gets humid.

After washing your hair (this is assuming that you air-dry your hair- it won't work for blow drying) wrap it up in a towel until damp. If you want, comb your hair and add whatever leave ins you use. Then, pull back the front section of your hair and secure it with a clip in the back, as if you were going to do a half-up style. Allow it to dry the rest of the way, then unclip. The frizz will lay flat and blend in with the rest of your hair!
    Even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like day. Search me, God, and know my heart...And lead me in the way everlasting. -Psalm 139

Length
    27/34/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

My daughter is 28 months, so I am totally feeling your pain on the halo thing. I damp bun my hair so that the top dries smoothly, well, as smoothly as can be for my hair type. For the longest time I had those thin little bangs all along the front and the halo would frizz up at the beach last summer, it was not cute! I like wide smooth headbands until it gets long enough to lay down and behave, if you can't fix it - cover it up eh?
    "You're just envious because Legolas and Elrond have better hair than you. Actually, better hair than anyone else ever. " - Pegasus Marsters

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Natures Gate Styling Putty. A little goes a long way, it works, and best of all - you can comb through it.

Length
    27/34/40
    Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

[quote=spidermom;917132]Natures Gate Styling Putty. A little goes a long way, it works, and best of all - you can comb through it.[/quote

OK, so now I'll be going to Whole Foods on my lunch hour...
    "You're just envious because Legolas and Elrond have better hair than you. Actually, better hair than anyone else ever. " - Pegasus Marsters

Length
    12"/42"/Term!
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

i had a lot of halo too, and since switching to CO have had much less, but still have a lot of new growth. sleeping in a cap/turban/scarf of some kind helps a lot; i used to look like a troll doll in the morning! i personally use a pair of pantyhose with one leg cut off and my hair down the remaining leg to prevent tangles. even just switching to a satin or silk pillowcase might help if you're using cotton.

i think having a humidifier running during winter helps tame my halo, although i know for some people too much humidity causes frizziness.

also, vinegar/citric acid/cold water rinses or anything that helps close the cuticle may help the halo lay flat.

sometimes i just take a dab of conditioner & splash of water & smooth that on, or Samy "Get Thick" styling lotion.

and...fabric softener! there are some threads on that, so i won't get into it, but some people use the sheets for frizzies and use the liquid as a conditioner.

welcome!
    River, honey? He's putting the hair away now.