Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oiling and washing.

Banned
    Length
    SL/Waist/Hips
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Oiling and washing.

I have been sitting with coconut oil in my hair since yesterday and will be washing later on today.

I was wondering if the oil is a temporary fix, or does it really do something to my hair? If I wash with cone free shampoo will it strip all the benefits away? If I wash with cones, will that seal or lock in the moisture?

Sorry for the stupid questions, my hair is super dry and really want to try whatever I can to get moisture put in and stay in.

Length
    13/17/WL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I'm afraid I don't know about cones, but I used to use coconut oil when my hair was BSL, (before i stupidly cut it) in just the way that you are doing now. I wasn't too happy with the results - it didn't seem to make my hair look and feel much better.

Now I am growing my hair back out again and am using a v. small amount of jojoba oil smoothed onto the hair AFTER washing when it is just very slightly damp. I am really pleased with the results. My hair feels plumper and a bit heavier and I don't feel i am just reversing the process by washing the oil straight out - it stays in for 3 days til I next wash it!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

A certain percentage of that coconut oil will be absorbed into the hair; it won't all wash away. It is a temporary fix in that you will have to keep re-applying it to the ends because sebum never gets down that far (except for the WO and SO people). Essential fatty acids have to be replenished one way or the other regularly.

Try a few drops on damp ends if you haven't already.
    Last edited by spidermom; April 27th, 2008 at 09:15 AM.

Length
    18/18/24
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I am new here and Really have a stupid question......what are cones?

I read on here about Camomile Oil working well on hair. I plan on trying it.

I am trying to grow my hair back after having it shoulder length for years. It seemed easier at the time because my kids wouldn't get caught in it all the time...I did not use any other hair accessories besides rubber bands at that point in my life. That's all I ever used. I will only use them now when I ride my motorcycle...and am trying to find a better solution for something that fits under my helmet and dosen't tear my hair to shreds.

It was so much easier growing my hair in my 20's...probably because I wasn't trying too?

Good luck on the Coconut Oil. I have read many on here love it for their hair.

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Cool

I don't know an exact answer to your question, but as someone who's been oiling weekly for 3years, the results for me are temporary.
    Oh, babywolf, cones are silicones that are added to shampoos and conditioners. They can make your hair look great for a while but then they build up and you've got some kind of fried dry hair.

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Unless your messing with the inner parts of your hair (like permanent chemical colours do), everything you apply to your hair is temporary.
    If you oil regularly, some say they notice an improvement to their hair (stronger, healthier, less frizz, more shine etc).
    For me, pre-wash oiling does help controlling frizz. But if I apply too much to the scalp, I end up with either greasy hair or no benefits at all because I washed it all off. So, I apply mostly to the length.
    Oiling pre-wash also protects the length from the harshness of shampoo and hard water.

I do get most oil benefits when I use it pre-wash. But you can also try it after washing.

Silicones are beneficial for some and damaging for others. They basicaly are synthetic oils, so I don't think it is a problem using both. The stripping is caused by the washing agents in shampoos (most contain some kind of sulphate), not the silicones. I feel that the stripping occurs before the silicones stick to the hair and that there is no specific positive effect of cone shampoo's over non-cone shampoo's in this matter.
    Babywolf: For more information on silicones, search the forums (or the archived forums), a lot has already been said on the subject.
    ~ Regrowing & Growing-out Henna ~ Current Length | 25.4" (May 2012)
    shld | apl | bsl | wst | hip | tb | class | ft
    Lady Aibell of the Silent Song Harp in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Oiling provides temporary benefit - when you wash, a little is left behind, but if you wash repeatedly without more oil, it will eventually be stripped away. It may still be worthwhile for you, depending.

Silicones and oils tend to be either/or things there are fairly few people I know who use both together. (They may use both separately, clarifying in-between.) Perhaps because they both try to do the same thing, but in different ways - I'm not completely sure why they are incompatable, but it seems to frequently play out that way.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20

Type
    2a/M/iii

I used to only use EVOO on my hair when damp after washing, just a few drops on the length.

After I cam to these boards I tried other kinds of oils. They were eventually added to my routine and did not replace the EVOO used in the above-mentioned method.

I use jojoba oil on dry hair on the length. Before that I was using serums, but I found that a little of jojoba oil works just as good without making my hair look oily.

Coconunt oil, I use it for hair soaks. I apply it heavily to my hair from roots to tips and leave as long as I can mostly it ends up being about 5 to six hours. Then I wash and finish as usual.

The coconut soaks did help my hair a lot. When I started doing on regular basis every two weeks, it made a great difference. Now I don't have to do it so often.

By the way I do use cones, it has been so far impossible for me to find conditioners without cones here.

My hair is shoulder length now... but that is nothing to flaunt.
    15Apr2013 Hair is 1-2" shy from the pic above. Much better.

Length
    shld/27.5/fairy
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Ursula View Post
    Silicones and oils tend to be either/or things there are fairly few people I know who use both together. (They may use both separately, clarifying in-between.) Perhaps because they both try to do the same thing, but in different ways - I'm not completely sure why they are incompatable, but it seems to frequently play out that way.
    I'm using shampoo and conditioner with silicones these days, and also like to oil pre-wash but so far I didn't notice any ill effects.. Maybe there could be an interfering issue with silicone-based leave-ins and oiling post-wash ?
    ~ Regrowing & Growing-out Henna ~ Current Length | 25.4" (May 2012)
    shld | apl | bsl | wst | hip | tb | class | ft
    Lady Aibell of the Silent Song Harp in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Niphredil View Post
    I'm using shampoo and conditioner with silicones these days, and also like to oil pre-wash but so far I didn't notice any ill effects.. Maybe there could be an interfering issue with silicone-based leave-ins and oiling post-wash ?
    I'm really not sure - I haven't looked at the issue too closely, since I stick to oil and skip the 'cones. It's just a trend I've anecdotally noticed - people tend to do well with one at a time. It's been an issue often enough that I consider it reasonable to start out doing one or the other, and clarify in-between. If you have really funky issues, you might try both, but odds are in your favor if you pick one.

If you're doing a full wash with a sulfate shampoo every time you wash, it may be less of an issue than if you're using a less clarifying method, and get buildup of layers of cone/oil/cone/oil over time.
    I am opting out of the "Friends" system. All requests will be declined.
    Ursula's Standard Newbie Advice
    Ezekiel 23:20