Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some opinions, shape up or leave it be?

Length
    CHN/SHLDR/WST
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Question Need some opinions, shape up or leave it be? *update*

I am thinking of getting a small cut, even though I said I was not going to cut til December of this year. I kind of want to get it shaped to where it will look a little better during the process. I found a review of a good curly hair stylist on naturallycurly.com in my area, and I really want to check him out. I don't know though, I can't decide.

My hair was cut in a graduated bob, which means the front is much longer than the back. I want to see if I can get it more evened up and not lose any length in the back, but get it to where it is more of an even length. I also want to get a curly, wash it and go kind of haircut.

What I want opinions on, do you think that getting a shape up will make the waiting-to-grow time easier, because I will be more happy with it during that time? Or has anyone done this and regretted the small amount of length lost?

Also, I have not really been to too many high end stylists and I don't know how to go about seeing them. Consultation ettiquite, etc. What do you smart people out there think?

See last post for UPDATE!!

Also, I would add a link to the salon's website, but idk if that is okay on here, since it is location specific.
    Last edited by misspriss; May 2nd, 2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: update
    On a perpetual journey to grow out my hair after a short haircut I enjoyed for an equally short amount of time...do I ever learn?

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I don't know - it's very individual. I grew out a pixie cut, and didn't get it trimmed/shaped for quite a while. I really wanted to see progress, so headbands and scarves became my friends. If you would feel better about it shaped, then by all means, do it. Have you heard of the 2-week rule? Before you do anything particularly drastic (new hair style, new colour, etc.) think about it for two weeks. If you still really want that change at the end of two weeks, then go for it!

-- Natalie
    Last edited by Nat242; April 26th, 2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Length
    CHN/SHLDR/WST
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Well, I figure I will wait about 1.5 weeks. I go on vaca in two weeks, and if I'm going to do it, I'd like to do it before then, pictures and all, and also ease of styling.
    On a perpetual journey to grow out my hair after a short haircut I enjoyed for an equally short amount of time...do I ever learn?

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/SBL/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/iii

If your hair is really bothering you the way it is now, then I'd say go for it, as long as you wait your 1.5 weeks and make sure you still want it. However, if it's the length of it (or lack thereof) that bothers you more than anything else then it might do more harm than good to cut it and lose some length at the front. Essentially you just need to consider what's immediately more important (in the long run I'd imagine you want long, healthy, beautiful hair), length or style and ease?
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Length
    CHN/SHLDR/WST
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Well, the length is bothering me too, but I can't do anything by a ponytail and I'm wearing a ponytail EVERY day because it does not look good down anymore. (problem with cute short hairstyles, look terrible if they grow out) and I hate wearing a ponytail every day. I have been stying it curly, but it is cut straight down exactly the same length and the curls just don't fall well. I want to be able to wear it down more, if I want to, you know? Or maybe just not in the same style every day.

Length
    Hip/Neck/???
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

I am going to have a dissenting opinion here. Sorry about that.

Curly hair is so fraught by everything anyway, I would not get a new cut and try to adjust to it right before some sort of major event. It might result in a pony every day on vacation anyway. Or that result might not be too different if you didn't get it cut. There will be different water, food, possibly more sun, wind, ocean water, etc. If it were me I would probably just wait until I got back, so I could adjust accordingly to the new cut, keeping more variables the same.
    Battle Wench Arvoreen of the Scything Curls in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Blewyn Euraid
    Length
    TB/TB/Knee
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Personally I would say dont cut. But then if you are more comfortable with it being trimmed back a little then go for it after the 1.5 weeks

Length
    CHN/SHLDR/WST
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

I am just so frustrated with it. I woke up this morning and my curls looked great, you know, curly. But on the cut? it's just a straight diagonal line from the back of my head to my chin and when the curls vary in length it just makes it look crappy. Although my curls look good today, I'm going to have to wear it in a pony again because it just doesn't look good like this.

Last of the Brunnen-G kwaniesiam's Avatar
    Length
    bald/mop/long!
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

Honestly, I'd rather be happy with my hair than tough it out and have to get it trimmed and evened up soon anyway. If after the 2 weeks you still want that cut, go for it. It's not more than 2-3 inches, right? That will grow back quickly, and hopefully in the process you'll be much happier with your hair.
    Your neighborhood LHC-friendly hair stylist Anyone is always free to PM me if they have any questions they think I might be able to help with, hair or otherwise!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

If it were me, I'd do it. As I grew my hair out from short and layered, I had it trimmed every 6-8 weeks. It made such a positive difference to me to keep the ends nice. I never thought of it as losing length because no more than 1/4 to 1/2 inch came off each time.