Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you really need to wear your hair up every day?

Tiny Opera Singer SlightlySoprano's Avatar
    Length
    SL/~APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Default Do you really need to wear your hair up every day?

I am still a newbie when it comes to having long hair. I just recently decided I wouldn't go for my normal biannual CHOP OFF (i let my hair go to about 2" below shoulder, then chop it off at chin length) because over the past year my hair has thinned greatly. After talking to derms and docs, they suspect a mix of tension alopecia and some thyroid imbalance.

That being said, I am overly paranoid to wear my hair up/back often.

Is it long-hair-safe to wear it down? Are there specific things I should be doing?

Thank you

Length
    SL/35"/clssc
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Do you really need to wear your hair up every day?

A lot of people here wear their hair up every day in order to protect the length from snags and breakage. It's true this helps, but at your length it's probably less of a concern. Plus, depending on your hair, you very well may be able to wear it down frequently and still get it to grow shockingly long.

As far as the traction alopecia, I don't know what your doctor said about hairstyles, if anything (and if he/she did say anything please go for their advice and not mine), but as long as updos are gentle and loose and you don't wear the same one every day I think you should be fine.

And, of course, treat that thyroid disorder per your provider's advice!
    Lady Pepper of the Silver Tongue in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights!

Length
    20"/43"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/iii

I agree at your length it shouldn't be an issue. I didn't start wearing my hair up consistently until my hair was nearing my waist. At that point I wore my hair up probably 90% of the time.

Now that my hair is as long as it is there is danger when wearing it down - but not the danger you're talking about. I've buckled it in my seat belt, I've tucked it into my pants, yesterday I sat on it, last week it was between me and the back of my chair, I sneezed and pulled it, I stepped on it cleaning (I'm very limber), my husband has sat on it, my cat gets a sparkle in her eye when she sees a tendril of it fall over my shoulder.

I've also decided that since I accidentally surpassed my goal length (I'm way overdue for a trim), I want to trim every other month and wear my hair down far more often. I want to enjoy my hair, my hair looks good down and trimming every other month will help keep my hair in better shape so I can wear it down more often.
    I'm not ADHD, it's just... Do you like cookiesSewing Blog!

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

You can wear it down and it's fine. A lot of people grow their hair long without doing too many updos. Anyway, good luck with the thyroid thing.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Length
    26/29/35
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I don't wear my hair up at all. Maybe a ponytail. I just can't get the hang of those sticks either! And, well I just like it touching my neck. I think it's just a matter of choice.

My hair goal ~ Waist!
    "By endurance, we conquer" ~ Sir Ernest Shackleton

Length
    3/WST/Fanny
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Before my last big cut from tailbone to chin...I would always wear my hair down or in a half up. I didn't have LHC at my disposal and had no idea there were so many other options. I just let it flow.
    I would say to read though the forums about general haircare and conditioners and oils. Keeping you hair in good shape...I don't see any problems with leaving it down.

Length
    17/29/30-32
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

I don't think you NEED to wear it up every day....but it's a good idea, because it protects your hair.

Length
    18"/27"/waist

Quote Originally Posted by shockinglength View Post
    I don't think you NEED to wear it up every day....but it's a good idea, because it protects your hair.

I have actually seen a couple of "how to grow your hair long" videos and sites that actually advocate not wearing your hair up... they say that any stress put on the hair can be bad including a simple single braid and not to tie it back unless absolutely necessary and if you do make sure it is really lose or to use a jaw clip or something like it
    I've grown out the color ^_^ Now I'm just enjoying the ride, waiting for length.

Length
    Shldr/BSL!/waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I think it might just be good to wear it back to forget about the fact it isnt growing fast enough to suit you! That's what I've been doing LOL

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

With my type of hair, which floats around and grabs stuff, like the light switch cover when I'm walking by it, yes - I have to wear it up practically all the time. Bummer.