Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I may cry

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default I may cry

I did something really REALLY stupid.

About ten months ago I went to get my highlights redone. However I couldn't get to my normal hairdresser so I went to one near where I live after careful research. For the last five years I have highlighted my hair using aveda saloons just getting the roots done each time. Very subtle, grows out without looking unnatural, all good.
    I am a stupid stupid person and allowed the hair dresser to not only put blonder streaks in than normal but she also but them all the way through, onto hair that had already been highlighted. Then she insisted on blow drying my hair saying it was against company policy to allow clients out of the door with wet hair.

It is all bad - after years of care, I now have breakage all the way down the length of my hair and it will take another THREE YEARS before the damage has grown out. Furthermore the highlights were badly done and despite the best efforts of my lovely hairdresser still looks unnatural with a solid line now at about ear level.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHY DID I DO IT!

If the breakage gets any worse I will have to cut out all the damaged hair and have short hair, as I said at the beginning I may cry.

My only hope is that someone out there might learn from my mistake.

Type
    3a/M/ii

First off... big hugs to you! I'm so sorry that you are going through this.

Don't beat yourself up about it. I'm sure we have all made decisions at one point or another that left us unhappy with our hair (I know that I've made MANY of them). The thing to remember also is that your poor outcome isn't directly the result of a decision that you made. You had already been highlighting (and enjoying it), but unfortunately it seems like what you are dealing with now is teh end result of a hairstylist who may not have been all that skilled in highlighting techniques.

That being said, with time, your hair will bounce back and you'll love it again!

In your post you mentioned that it 'looks' bad b/c of growout. If you are still going to an Aveda salon, they should have a very gentle demi-perm rinse that they could apply to blend the old highlights with your new growth. It shouldn't affect the condition of your hair AND may even make it appear glossier.

Best wishes to you. Hang in there!

Length
    Pixie/TB/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

(((((HUGS)))))

Don't worry about it. Mistakes happen, and time heals all. Baby your hair, give it lots of moisture, and wear it up often to protect it. If you need to snip, if the damage is really that bad, just do little, tiny trims, don't hack off too much at once. It's be okay.

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Oh, sweetie, don't be so hard on yourself. Most people here have made hair mistakes. I've made many.

Just keep taking good care of it, get very small trims when necessary, and time will take care of it all.

And you're right, there are people who will learn from your mistake. I've shared some of my doozies in the past, and I'm sure it helped someone.

Length
    21"/32.5"/30-34
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

try cassia? It can help to sort of strengthen, it is temporary and only adds light gold tint, barely noicable on most hair colours.
    Perhaps this is a good time to stop dyeing your hair all together? At least it was just highlights not your whole head?
    I did the same thing exccept i used a box from the store- that RUINED my hair, i am STILL growing it out!!!!! I will never use chemical dye AGAIN! EVER!
    ...Our hairs are just like the rings of a tree, they tell a story of what they have been through
    ...[me]
    old hair journal - pb - Lady Teesha, Minikin of Joy! OZ's where R U?

Length
    26/26.5/32
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Thank you everyone, I know it will be alright in the end - eventually...
    I never realized how big a role my hairdresser played in look after my hair (if I work out how to I'll post a photo showing the difference between the good and bad highlights). I've been going back to my hairdresser in London, next time I'll mention the demi-rinse, does it really not hurt ones hair? If so I may take that up and give the highlighting a rest. I wouldn't dye my hair at all but it bleaches naturally and if I don't do something my updos look like I'm wearing a hair piece.
    Also thinking about what you've said I may start saving my pennies and go back to the George Michael salon in London for trims.

Many thanks again! I'm so happy the community's back!

Length
    shldr/bsl/clsc
    Type
    1a/1b/C/i

Poor you, please don't fret. Baby your hair. It will return to the state that it pnce was. Micro trims might help.
    To live is the rarest thing in the world, most people exist, that is all.

I'd say go for the cones, they helped me a lot when my hair was extremely damaged (and then cut off, as it was overall a wreck). Whatever works Good luck, and hopefully it doesn't get worse!

Length
    hip/31"/more!
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Don't cut! Just spoil your hair. Make sure to S&D, that works very well for my damaged hair (gazillion times hair dye...)

Length
    3"/24"/36"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Definitely try a demi-perm rinse. I color my hair using only a demi-perm color that I get at Sally's. No peroxide, no ammonia, even has jojoba oil in it! My hair always feels extra smooth and shiny post-color. Of course, the color I use is just one shade different from my natural color (a hint darker with a little red), so it isn't as though I'm bleaching.
    HTH!
    September 11, 2001: Always Remember, Never Forget. God bless the heroes, victims and families.

The Serenity Prayer:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good.--Jan Karon

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.