Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Look at what I found/bought/like" threads

Length
    27/42+/ftip
    Type
    1b/M/iii

I agree Icydove, and stand my ground. I also agree with Ursula's idea. Most of these posts belong in the Reviews section, especially the hairtoys. I'm sure many new folks have gone to these, expecting loads of learning tools and were sorely disappointed.

To be honest, this is the main reason I don't frequent the boards as often as I used to.
    Callie sez *meep*
    justgreen judiciously journals
    Lady Emeralde Justyce in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Perhaps there should be a master thread for "Look at my new shiny" in regards to hair toys? The only problem will be getting people to adhere to it--take for example the monstorous henna thread and the constant new threads about henna in spite of it.

I do like to some degree those threads, for instance there was recently one on Ficcares. I just purchased two LARGE ficcares for less than $50 due to it. After shipping it was a little more, but nonetheless, it beats $30+ apiece. But that's just me.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Herb user/hair origamist icydove's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/ii

It was explained to me that this is just the cycle of LHC. The newer members post, the people in the middle answer the newer members' questions, and the older members fade out. The newer members graduate to the middle as a wave of newbies come in, etc.

Length
    long/55.5/long
    Type
    2c/C/iii

Uuum I'm also one of the people who not only noticed but get annoyed by this situation. Why not make a thread about hairtoys or use the review section but instead spam the boards by opening numberous threads regarding new hairtoys.
    I'm so fed up with this that feel the boards are forcing me to fade. I'm glad though,to learn that I'm not the only one,thanks for starting this thread pseudoscot!

Length
    Chin/Apl+/Hip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Maybe we need a section just titled picture threads. That way those of us who enjoy seeing toys and updos (me for instance) can go there.Everytime I make a thread about a new updo I can do WITHOUT A PICT everyone ask to post one anyway, and I love being to tell people I finally hit a milestone that is important to me or show off new toys and be able to see toys for ideads of what they can do for my hair as well as just new purchases to prevent hair boredom.
    Starting over current length: APL+.. GOAL: BACK TO HIP

Length
    20/27/38
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by icydove View Post
    It was explained to me that this is just the cycle of LHC. The newer members post, the people in the middle answer the newer members' questions, and the older members fade out. The newer members graduate to the middle as a wave of newbies come in, etc.
    Speaking as someone "in the middle," this is what I have noticed too.

Sometimes repetitive threads annoy me too, but usually by looking at the post title or hovering my mouse over it to see the first line, I am able to tell if I want to click and read it or not.

To be fair, I have seen repetitive questions on LHC from newbies and gurus and people in the middle alike, so I don't think it's restricted to new people posting these sorts of things, but maybe if you don't know the person very well, it seems more like noise than if you are familiar with them already.

ETA: I agree, the threads about new hair sticks and things belong on the review board though.
    Last edited by Xanthippe; April 26th, 2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: adding about the review board
    Lady Xanthyppe of the Moonlith Waves in the Order of the Longhaired Knights
    My Progress! (updated August 2009)
    Currently at the upper regions of BSL. Growing again!

Length
    28/idk/waist
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I think all we need is the Conventional Products & Hair Accessories forum.
    My nail polish blog
    http://ojevitrini.blogspot.com/

BeyondClassic Webmistress Cinnamon Hair's Avatar
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by basak View Post
    I think all we need is the Conventional Products & Hair Accessories forum.
    I agree. I like being able to talk about hair toy vendors and show their wares without the posts being scrolled off to oblivion. Same with products. The review section isn't the same since it doesn't allow discussion, only ratings. It would be better as a complement to a Product and Accessory board rather than a stand alone area of LHC. I think it would get a lot more use then also, since people on the Product and Accessory board could direct posters to the reviews on that product/item.

I also miss seeing groups of updo, such as Hairstyle of the Week. It would be nice to have a board to post photos and discuss updos. Perhaps there could be rules banning old-style photo journals which were mostly a place to chat, and instead have more topical conversations.

The reason the Mane board is being flooded is because there's nowhere else to post these topics. It is a lose-lose situation since people interested in updos/toys/products miss out by the posts being spread out over the huge Mane board and people who don't care for those topics see it as LHC spam.

Type
    3a/M/C/iii

Cinnamon hair, I totally agree with your entire post.
    A Hairstyle of the Week thread.
    A Hairtoy photo thread.
    Seekers can find them there.
    Show and tellers can post them there.
    Those not interested will not be bombarded by them, two threads can easily be avoided.

I think that the new members often do this because they see others doing it and just follow suit because they think it's the norm. Some of the members who do it often, weekly for instance, sometimes daily, should just keep adding it to their own original thread or put it in their journals and make them public if they have a penchant for showing new stuff daily.

Length
    chin/33/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lora410 View Post
    Maybe we need a section just titled picture threads. That way those of us who enjoy seeing toys and updos (me for instance) can go there.Everytime I make a thread about a new updo I can do WITHOUT A PICT everyone ask to post one anyway, and I love being to tell people I finally hit a milestone that is important to me or show off new toys and be able to see toys for ideads of what they can do for my hair as well as just new purchases to prevent hair boredom.
    I totally agree. Also, though, I clicked on the review section (for the second time since the boards have been up), and found that there was, much to my chagrin, an actual hair toy review section. Perhaps we could all use this more.

Regarding hair styles and new up dos: correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the article section allows conversation as did the old hairstyle tutorials on the old boards. That's too bad, since it would be nice to see a hair style posted then ask questions about it in the same place. Hence, I think the reason for those posts on the Mane Forum--people don't just want to share they want to interact.

I dislike what many keep saying about how certain things belong on the blogs--maybe but if someone has hit a new milestone or wants to show off a new bun, I think that's awesome and it makes me feel good for them, and they have a right to brag a little. But if everything moves off the main fora and on to the blogs, won't that just diminish the sense of community? Especially if those blogs are private--which I'm not criticizing, I understand why people have private blogs.

I think we should use the article and review section a bit more since that would make it easier to build up a stash of (organized and usable) information.