Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Years & hair-cutting

Length
    short/knee+/term?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Question New Years & hair-cutting

For those who celebrate New Year on January 1st, I have a question: Isn't there a superstition relating to cutting hair around this holiday? I feel like I've heard something about it being bad luck either before or after - I can't remember which, though. I was wondering because, coincidentally, my 5-week microtrim is due exactly on New Year's Day!
    Lady Leokadia, Conjurer of Multilateral Arts in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Default Re: New Years & hair-cutting

never heard of such a thing!!! BUT a micro trim is hardly a cut...(on someone else, If I was getting the micro trim it would be considered {to me} a cut)New year is a good time for a new start

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

Hmm, that's funny because I'm kind of superstitious about the New Year and I always figured it was a great time for change. I always try to start over around then, so if I was wanting to cut my hair, I think that'd be a great time to do it.

But I'm glad you posted this, so perhaps it will dissuade me should I get the urge!

Length
    APL/Knee/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

I've never heard of a superstition surrounding it, but if you want me to start one then

"New year's day is a very good day for trimming without guilt because it's a calender set new beginning".

There we are. Go for it!
    Finally at knee, with a new quest for thick ends!
    📸 Hairstagram

Length
    18/18/40
    Type
    3b/M/ii

I've never heard about any kind of New Years hair superstitions, but if you want to be really safe you can always push your trim back a day or two

Length
    buzz/ear/WL+
    Type
    1c/M/iii

If you want to be superstitious, this year, New Year's Eve is a full moon, and a Blue moon (second full moon in a month), so it would be an auspicious time to trim for thicker growth.

Length
    ?/50/50
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

I'll cut (well, trim) my hair on 1st January. I promised myself at the beginning of autumn that I wouldn't trim any more this year. (After chopping of 4 inches.) I hope it will be all right and I won't be unlucky after that.

Length
    short/knee+/term?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Hmmm, I think redneckprincess, OleanderTime, and enfys have a valid point about it being a "new beginning" and it makes sense - BUT - after doing a little research it would represent a new conundrum. One popular superstition for New Year's Day is to avoid cleaning, including the house and even hair... I like to wash my hair first so it will lay still, and then sweep the floor after the trim. I did find a site about the Chinese New Year that mentions getting a trim in preparation of the event - so maybe that's where I picked it up? I think I like MadameJ's suggestion (I didn't realize it would be a blue moon! How cool is that?) and like Copasetic said, moving it a day or two won't make a huge difference (as far as gaining/losing length). Out with the old, in with the new - so New Year's Eve it is, then!

It's still an interesting topic to debate, I'd love to hear everyone's take on it...
    Lady Leokadia, Conjurer of Multilateral Arts in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    8/48/60
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I wonder if dusting split ends counts? In any event I think I will hold off until a few weeks into the new year just to be safe!

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

Hmmm, there's a thought... I'm torn on whether or not to do a tiny trim, since I haven't done it once yet to clean up my ends since deciding to grow my hair. Maybe I could start a new routine of trimming only "once in a blue moon," starting with this one?