Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Explanation of Contacts & Friends

Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla View Post

The 100-posts/60-days only applies to a few remaining areas like the Community Meets forum.
    Sorry to go off topic for a moment, but I've been searching high and low for the Community Meets forum and can't find it anywhere. Any pointers would be appreciated. This is where I would post about a local meet, right? Thanks in advance.
    /hijack
    Lady Daeryane Moone of the Silken Sunshine in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    "Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." ~G. K. Chesterton

Inadvertent Tech Support snowbear's Avatar
    Length
    42/Short/N/A
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

It's currently only viewable by modmins. They say it will be visible by members soon.
    The formerly mythical snowbear is alive and well.
    Be smarter, daily!

Type
    1b/M/C/ii/iii

Thanks Snowbear.
    Lady Daeryane Moone of the Silken Sunshine in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    "Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." ~G. K. Chesterton

currently knitting Clare-Dragonfly's Avatar
    Length
    baby/clssc/knee
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla View Post
    People who both list each other as contacts do not become friends. Unless they discuss it separately, they won't know that each is the other's contact. I suppose you could say that friends are consensually and consciously mutual.
    Aww... that's kind of sad. You could want to be friends and never know...
    Stories last longer: but only by becoming only stories.
    Chatoyant College: free online serial fantasy novel

Happy to be Home CountessDeJager's Avatar
    Length
    most/all/all

Quote Originally Posted by Clare-Dragonfly View Post
    Aww... that's kind of sad. You could want to be friends and never know...
    That's why I'd say it doesn't hurt to do the full friend request rather than just add as a contact. I wish we could send a message with it though (okay, I could do the PM work as a follow up) since it is nice to let people know why I asked them if they don't know of me. Pretty much I'm using that friend panel to remind myself to visit blogs or look for posts by people I like because we've met in person, swapped, I love their posts or opinions, we have similar tastes, I think they are neat, know them from another site, or a bunch other other reasons I haven't even thought of yet. Besides, seeing all the avatar photos on the friend/contact panel makes me think of it as one giant meet.

What I don't want is people being uncomfortable if they choose not to accept me as a contact or friend because we all have different ways we are using the friend lists. I'm just throwing it out there and there will be no hurt feelings on my side. I also want to write that people shouldn't be shy about asking me, I'm happy to share any private content (not that there is any yet) with LHC regulars.

Elizabeth
    Avatar photo is me in 2002 taken by my sweet mom who kindly has taken a lot of hair pictures for me. Of course, not as many as Bill D. has.

Length
    BLS/class/tigh
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Thanks Dianyla for explaining.

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Whew!! Thanks for the explanations, Dianyla. One question keeps popping into my head. At my advance age, sometimes my memory is a little sucky. If I try and send a friend request to someone who is already my friend, will a notice pop up or something?

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Length
    24"/TB+/TB
    Type
    2b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Xandergrammy View Post
    Whew!! Thanks for the explanations, Dianyla. One question keeps popping into my head. At my advance age, sometimes my memory is a little sucky. If I try and send a friend request to someone who is already my friend, will a notice pop up or something?
    Why not try it and let us know? You can try me.

See "About ME" under profile for my friend/contact policy
    Public Album Private Album

Idiopathic Subgenius Xandergrammy's Avatar
    Length
    15"/52.5/termi
    Type
    2c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by PatGear View Post
    Why not try it and let us know? You can try me.

You're so smart, PatGear!!!! I went to your profile and lo and behold, there is no "Befriend PatGear" under your friends list. I tried out a couple of other friends, and that Befriend button is absent. So, if there's a Befriend spot, then you haven't befriended that person yet.

ETA: PatGear, your hair has gotten so long!!!!!
    Last edited by Xandergrammy; March 11th, 2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: added comment

Avatar picture is Mystic Mermaid byJessica Galbreth Copyright 2006
    Proud vice leader of the Renegrays -Pictures!

Type
    2a/F/ii

PatGear, I was bored so I tried it too. :P I clicked on your name in the post above, then clicked on Add PatGear to Contacts--it informed me that you and I are already friends. So, it seems like either the way Xandergrammy did it or the way I did it, you can't send duplicate friend requests.

ETA: Okay, I'm *really* bored, so I clicked on my own name and there was an "Add Talullah to your contacts" thing. So I clicked on it, and it asked me if I wanted to add Talullah to my contacts--NOT the same message I got when I tried to add you again! So I guess we're not friends with ourselves by default. :P
    Last edited by talullah; March 11th, 2008 at 03:47 PM.
    The voices may not be real, but they have some pretty good ideas.
    Another Girl's Paradise