Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My hair is so dry now

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Fins
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Unhappy My hair is so dry now

It has only been a few days (five if you count the fact it's after midnight and if you count the day of surgery) since my operation and my hair is suffering! I grabbed the generic Nioxin to help prevent hair loss during the shift in my nutritional levels and have washed with ti twice. The first time, my hair was so... yuck. It was dry and horrible.

The second time I used just that product on my scalp and conditioner soaked my hair from the ears down for a few minutes before rinsing it out. My hair felt alright for the first day, but now feels as bad as it did before hand: dry.

I cannot wash my hair as often as I would like to try and fix this, since my stitches are sealed with a super-glue like substance to keep them protected and too much water will make it come off. I can't wash my hair in the sink either since leaning forward too much causes me too much pain.

I am really trying to baby my hair and don't want to do too much to hurt it in this time of transition and I really want to prevent any loss that might happen. Any suggestions? Should I lather it in oil and leave it be? If so, what kind? Africa's best? Carrot Oil? JoJoba? Those are what I have, besides Olive and Coconut.

Length
    16 in/36"/tbn
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Default Re: My hair is so dry now

Hi there LittleOrca,

Time flies doesn't it - already five days since your surgery!

Don't worry about your hair too much. It will be fine I'm sure. Just make sure that it's not getting knotty with some gentle (finger)combing and keep it braided - maybe treat the ends to some heavy oiling as well, and let it be. You've just had some pretty serious surgery you know!

A few more days, (they will go by fast) and you will be able to give it the care that you did prior to your operation.

Sending speedy recovery wishes your way.
    Lady Charlotte, Winsome Wielder of the Willowy Bow, in the Order of the Long Hair Knights.

Length
    21/34/36
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

Try a mister bottle with some moisturizing aloe mixed in water.

I hope you have a speedy recovery!

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Your hair will be fine! It wont be damaged if it stays dry for some days... but if you want to try something i would second the mister bottle! you can put in there what you usually know it works for your hair im glad to hear from you and to know that is all going well
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

Length
    17 in/19 in/30 in
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I third the mister bottle!
    If all you have to worry about post surgery is your hair - then - High five sister!
    I'm glad you are doing so well.

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Fins
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by angelakeats View Post
    I third the mister bottle!
    If all you have to worry about post surgery is your hair - then - High five sister!
    I'm glad you are doing so well.

Well, I have to worry about a few other things, but it's my biggest worry. I don't want to have to chop and feel like I am getting no where, even though my goal will take me about 11 years to get to either way (100% virgin hair to the floor!)

Thanks for the advice though everyone, I think I have something I can mist into my hair.

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Maybe the Nioxin is too harsh for your hair? It sounds as if it's only aggravating any post-operative issues.
    I'd try oiling it and putting it in a gentle bun for a couple of days, and then wash again using what you were using before.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Apply the lightest oil you have and apply it only on the ends and very little on the scalp maybe that will help with the dryness.

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge"
    Ivana Trump

Length
    WL/TBL+/TBL++
    Type
    3c/M/iii

I don't know about the oil thing but i can tell you this. I did a surgery a year ago, and my Dr. recommended drinking 2 Liters of fresh juice every day to speed up recovery. I did not notice anything wrong with my hair, and i think it's due to the good stuff i got from drinking all that juice inaddtion to keeping a healthy diet and taking my multi supplements. Maybe if you take all the nutrients you need, your hair would act just like it did before the surgery.

How can I control my life when I can't control my hair?

Little Orca, Im not sure what kind of surgery you had, but I hope you feel better soon, might I suggest a SMT (with the NIOXIN=amazing) might help with your dry hair. ☺