Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

Length
    Hip/CL+/Lazy
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

Getting my geek on! by Yesterday- Today, on Flickr

I finally made some! It's great fun and really interesting...I think I'm hooked, because I've just spent about $100 on even more ingredients to experiment with!

I wish I could find the website I adapted this recipe from so I can credit them...maybe it was even a past post on here? Anyway, this is what I ran with to make 3 small bars:

Phase 1
    • 50g BTMS 50

• 2.5g Cetearyl Alcohol

• 2.5g Cocoa Butter

• 2g Camellia Oil

Phase 2
    • 1.5g Sodium Lactate

• 1g dl Panthenol

• 1g Essential Oil blend ( I used a mix that included – White Grapefruit, Valencia Orange, Patchouli, Geranium Egyptian, Ylang Ylang Complete and Jasmine Absolute and it smells divine!)

• 0.5g Nipaguard (preservative)

I've used it twice now for my CO-wash and I can't believe how soft, silky and shiny my hair is! It's never like this! Unfortunately my waves and curls have been less pronounced, but then I haven't been using any leave in because I wanted to see what this does on its own.

Now for more experimenting!
    Last edited by PeonyBlue; May 6th, 2021 at 04:19 PM.
    Letting my hair do whatever it wants to do!

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

That looks great Peony. They must be conditioner bars. I have never used or made one.

Better late than never but I have not had the energy or motivation to do anything for the last while. Here’s my current recipe:

For 22oz bottle

Water phase:
    493 g water (I Use herbal tea)
    3.1 g silk protein
    31.2 g honeyquat

Oil phase:
    43.7g BTMS
    31.2g oils (I use a mix of argan, jojoba, broccoli seed, coconut, avocado, and a vitamin e oil)

Cool down:
    6.2g preservative (Optiphan)
    12.5g panthenol

This mix turns out too thick to funnel into the conditioner bottle so I spoon it into a ziplock bag, cut the corner off, and pipe it down into the bottle.

I was using a polyquat (7?) but I got worried about buildup as I started having an itchy scalp so I will leave that out until next Winter again. I was only using 3 grams in the cool down phase.

Length
    Hip/CL+/Lazy
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

How do you find the Honeyquat? I’ve read it can have a fishy smell, and I notice you don’t use EOs or other scents.

One day I’ll try a water-based conditioner like yours, but the whole emulsifying thing has me a bit worried..plus the greater potential for bacteria and the like. For now, solid bars seem easier and more forgiving, and I’m rather enjoying the whole “solid” trend...I’ve even made a balm for the frizz control, and between the CO bar and the balm, my hair’s never looked shinier!
    Letting my hair do whatever it wants to do!