Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

Length
    26/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: Homemade Conditioner Ingredients??

Quote Originally Posted by K_Angel View Post
    This is the base conditioner I was thinking of using:

Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Dimethyl Stearamine, Lactic Acid

And then adding from there.

I'm wondering how do I know when I am done adding things if it safe to put on my hair? Is there a pH that I have to be careful about?

Off topic: The picture of you and your daughter in your siggy is absolutely darling!

Thank you for your recipe!
    Thanks for the compliment! She is most of the time a darling...

Yes, there is a ph to think about. With stearamidopropyl you have to add 0.5 to 1.0% lactic acid or citric acid to adjust the PH. With your other ingredience I don`t know. I suppose it would be possible to get something to measure the PH(lacmus?) but as I`ve used my reciepe for a while and it seems to work, I haven`t felt the need. I think as long as I don`t change the proportions between stearamidopropyl and the lactic acid it works.

Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by karli View Post
    Thanks for the compliment! She is most of the time a darling...

Yes, there is a ph to think about. With stearamidopropyl you have to add 0.5 to 1.0% lactic acid or citric acid to adjust the PH. With your other ingredience I don`t know. I suppose it would be possible to get something to measure the PH(lacmus?) but as I`ve used my reciepe for a while and it seems to work, I haven`t felt the need. I think as long as I don`t change the proportions between stearamidopropyl and the lactic acid it works.
    Yes, I see your point.

I think that maybe you're right about a litmus test would help me be sure too.

Ok, from another thread I found this website: http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com

And of all the bases I liked theirs the best for my hair.

I want to run past everyone what I want to use in it and see if it's proper or not. I never thought I'd be making my own conditioner, but out of desperation I think it's the only thing left for me to do.

The dry base is:

Cetyl Alcohol
    Stearyl Alcohol
    Stearalkonium Chloride
    Dimethyl Stearamine
    Lactic Acid

What I'd like to add to it is the following:

(concentrated conditioner) = 5%
    FO = 2%
    Germaben II = 2%
    distilled water = 85%
    cyclomethicone = 2%
    Glycerin = 5%

What I'm wondering is will any of these ingredients interact with the others to make this unsafe for my hair? Have I missed anything?

With so many hair disasters with other conditioners I just don't want to fry my hair on my own mixture. :sigh: I just want something that works...
    Last edited by Teacherbear; March 4th, 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: merge 2 posts

Type
    1c/F/i

Oh thank you very much for the URL! It's exactly what I was looking for. I'm trying to "educate" myself on what is what... and that's the kind of thing that explains how it all works!

I wonder how one would add amla to a conditioner? Would you have to make it a paste and add it or??? Hmmmmm....

I noticed on one of the sites that sold "make your own" conditioner that they had some sort of protein you can buy to add to your mix. I was thinking, since my hair likes a little bit of protein, that I would try that too.

I think I"m getting more and more excited about the idea of trying to make a "formula" just suited for my hair. Plus, I was thinking the advantage would definitely be that since seasonally I have slightly different hair needs... I could adjust that too.

After a bit more research... I really think I'm going to try it!

Also, just FYI, there's a 2a/F thread and I know they'd be interested in hearing what all you've tried and has worked or not worked.
    You're more than welcome!

Not sure about the amla but whenever I get around to giving this a try I might just put some of the powder in the mx and see what sort of consistency I end up with. A sort of trial and error approach!

I must check out that thread - thanks for pointing me at it.

Good luck with your experiment!

450 ml destilled water
    20 g stearamidopropyl dimethylamine(emulsifier)
    12 g cetylalkohol
    10 g jojoba
    5 ml glycerin
    paraben
    lactic acid

This is what I am experimenting with. Right now, I use shea instead of jojoba and an other preservative. There are so many things you can change and by adding and removing small quantities you get big differences in the result.
    Does your formula work well for detangling?

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Hey everyone, this is my first post Things I use in my homemade conditioners are:

cocoa butter/shea butter
    oils (usually joboba, sometimes almond, sometimes a combo of jojoba, camellia/argan oil)
    bmts- emulsifier
    water or some sort of tea

Those are the base ingredients, after making the base I add some of these depending on what type of conditioner I want:

amla
    honey
    EO's, orange, ylang ylang (good for dry hair!), rose etc.
    hydrolized wheat protein

So they are very simple, natural and have no preservatives (though I've heard that tea-tree EO can be used as a natural preservative, I should try it). Amla was very good, it made my hair very soft, I really recommend mixing amla into any conditioner.

The btms is the only emulsifier I've used and I really like it because it makes the condish rich in texture and gives good slip. With those ingredients the condish usually is pretty thick, heavy and nourishing, excellent for my damaged ends... I never buy conditioner other than for COing, so for me self-made products are the special treats for my hair.

Happy cooking, it's so much fun

Length
    26/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pinchbeck View Post
    Does your formula work well for detangling?
    My hair doesn`t really tangle, but dd:s does. I co, she uses sc, and it does detangle her hair but it worked much better with jojobaoil for her. Jojoba made her hair feel more slippery, whilst shea is better for my frizz.

It works as good/better as any bought conditioner as I can twist it to suit her better. She doesn`t like that it has no perfume added or that it sometimes has a bit of grandpa smell(rosemary).

Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Mannaz View Post
    Hey everyone, this is my first post Things I use in my homemade conditioners are:

cocoa butter/shea butter
    oils (usually joboba, sometimes almond, sometimes a combo of jojoba, camellia/argan oil)
    bmts- emulsifier
    water or some sort of tea

Those are the base ingredients, after making the base I add some of these depending on what type of conditioner I want:

amla
    honey
    EO's, orange, ylang ylang (good for dry hair!), rose etc.
    hydrolized wheat protein

So they are very simple, natural and have no preservatives (though I've heard that tea-tree EO can be used as a natural preservative, I should try it). Amla was very good, it made my hair very soft, I really recommend mixing amla into any conditioner.

The btms is the only emulsifier I've used and I really like it because it makes the condish rich in texture and gives good slip. With those ingredients the condish usually is pretty thick, heavy and nourishing, excellent for my damaged ends... I never buy conditioner other than for COing, so for me self-made products are the special treats for my hair.

Happy cooking, it's so much fun
    Was it dry Amla that you put into the mix? If so, how did you add it to the "wet" ingredients?

How do you know that your pH is not too high or low in your mix?

How do you know if you have mixed things that aren't supposed to be mixed together?

My hair doesn`t really tangle, but dd:s does. I co, she uses sc, and it does detangle her hair but it worked much better with jojobaoil for her. Jojoba made her hair feel more slippery, whilst shea is better for my frizz.

It works as good/better as any bought conditioner as I can twist it to suit her better. She doesn`t like that it has no perfume added or that it sometimes has a bit of grandpa smell(rosemary).
    They had a coconut Fragrance Oil that I was thinking of using in mine. I really like the smell of coconut hair products.

I'm really interested in making my own conditioner for exactly what you are talking about... being able to put in exactly what my hair wants. And leave out all the things it doesn't want.

I think, my biggest problem is that I had too much Chemistry in school to not be intimidated by just mixing in any old ingredients... but not enough Chemistry to know how to tell if I'm doing it right or wrong.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Teacherbear; March 4th, 2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: merge 2 posts

Length
    26/waist/tb
    Type
    2a/F/ii

They had a coconut Fragrance Oil that I was thinking of using in mine. I really like the smell of coconut hair products.

I'm really interested in making my own conditioner for exactly what you are talking about... being able to put in exactly what my hair wants. And leave out all the things it doesn't want.

I think, my biggest problem is that I had too much Chemistry in school to not be intimidated by just mixing in any old ingredients... but not enough Chemistry to know how to tell if I'm doing it right or wrong.

Does that make sense?
    It does make sense.

My reciept is very simple, I don`t change the proportions between cetylalcohol, stearamid. and lactic acid, I only change the amounts of oil, glycerin and eos. I have also tried with aloe and D-pantenol, but they don`t change the PH.

It is also good to know when to add which ingredience; I mix the water, cetyl, oils, preservative and the stearamid. stir it in a waterbath until it is all melted, take it off the stove, continue to stir and add the rest at about 40 C.

I`ve been thinking about amla lately and will probably try it in january, but then I will just try it as I would a hennagloss - mix it with some already done conditioner

Length
    chin/waist/hip
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Was it dry Amla that you put into the mix? If so, how did you add it to the "wet" ingredients?

How do you know that your pH is not too high or low in your mix?

How do you know if you have mixed things that aren't supposed to be mixed together?
    Yes, it was amla powder, I mixed it after making the base (butter, oil, water,emulsifier) and letting it cool down. It mixed in quite well and didn't clump, though I just used a teaspoon. It also gave a brown color to the mix.

As to the ph-thing, that is a very good question,and I hadn't even thought about it! And the answer is, I really don't... The recipe for the base is from a Finnish site where from I buy the ingredients, I guess I have just assumed it must be allright ph-wise too, as it has been otherwise It would be very interesting to test the ph though, I have no idea how for example different EO's alter the ph.

I'm guessing that by "things that aren't supposed to be mixed together" you mean "things that might have a bad chemical reaction when mixed together" as opposed to "things that will not work well in my hair when used at the same time"?
    So far I have operated relying to my common sense and everything I have read, and I haven't experienced any problems with any of the conditioners I've made...The base recipe says you can modify it according to what your hair needs, be the added ingredients herbal powders, hydrolized proteins, panthenol etc.
    I'm quite unscientific in my cookings as you might notice, and that's why I use mostly natural products, because it seems safer and more "pure" to me, and I don't have to be very exact with the measurments.

Length
    bob/Waist/TB
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

It does make sense.

My reciept is very simple, I don`t change the proportions between cetylalcohol, stearamid. and lactic acid, I only change the amounts of oil, glycerin and eos. I have also tried with aloe and D-pantenol, but they don`t change the PH.

It is also good to know when to add which ingredience; I mix the water, cetyl, oils, preservative and the stearamid. stir it in a waterbath until it is all melted, take it off the stove, continue to stir and add the rest at about 40 C.

I`ve been thinking about amla lately and will probably try it in january, but then I will just try it as I would a hennagloss - mix it with some already done conditioner
    Oh, I hadn't thought of when I'm supposed to add what. But just like cooking, there is a right and wrong time to add the ingredients to make them blend well. I see.

Ok, so when I write out my recipe, I will have to make it look like I was cooking, so I can say, step one "add this to this." And then step two is....

So, since I'm buying a base from a company that makes it as it's conditioner I will not be changing those important things. And the other ingredients are fine to add or subtract from the recipe as I like? Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mannaz View Post
    Yes, it was amla powder, I mixed it after making the base (butter, oil, water,emulsifier) and letting it cool down. It mixed in quite well and didn't clump, though I just used a teaspoon. It also gave a brown color to the mix.

As to the ph-thing, that is a very good question,and I hadn't even thought about it! And the answer is, I really don't... The recipe for the base is from a Finnish site where from I buy the ingredients, I guess I have just assumed it must be allright ph-wise too, as it has been otherwise It would be very interesting to test the ph though, I have no idea how for example different EO's alter the ph.

I'm guessing that by "things that aren't supposed to be mixed together" you mean "things that might have a bad chemical reaction when mixed together" as opposed to "things that will not work well in my hair when used at the same time"?
    So far I have operated relying to my common sense and everything I have read, and I haven't experienced any problems with any of the conditioners I've made...The base recipe says you can modify it according to what your hair needs, be the added ingredients herbal powders, hydrolized proteins, panthenol etc.
    I'm quite unscientific in my cookings as you might notice, and that's why I use mostly natural products, because it seems safer and more "pure" to me, and I don't have to be very exact with the measurments.
    Yes, you are correct. I meant that I didn't want to mix things that chemically would react bad to each other. But I think what I"m hearing from you and from Karli is that the very basic things I want to add are common to hair and are common to conditioner. Therefore, we kind of know already that they go together. And since I"m starting with a base that I will not be changing, it will be fine to add common things to my mixture. Is this correct?

I would like to thank you both or all your help and patience in answering all of my questions!
    Last edited by Teacherbear; March 4th, 2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: merge 2 posts