Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post your henna indigo pictures so I can show my Mum!Please.

Mine is in my sig. I try not to go too dark or too red. Basically, I stick with henna/indigo glosses rather than full-strength applications.

Length
    16ASL/26BSL/36WST
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by dvas View Post
    Mine is in my sig. I try not to go too dark or too red. Basically, I stick with henna/indigo glosses rather than full-strength applications.
    I have thought of doing a gloss myself, but I want to wait until my virgin hair is grown out much more.

Would a gloss help with gray coverage?Im guessing no, but thought I would ask just to be sure.

I have a fair amount of gray around my face. The glosses do turn my grays a kind of golden color, which isn't quite dark enough to match the rest of my hair. To help even it out, I mix up a batch of henna/indigo, basically 50/50, but a little more indigo. and put that full strength on just where I'm the grayest.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Here's mine:

I use Rainbow henna which they say doesn't contain indigo, but henna and other herbs. I think this is true because I've done test bleaching on some sample hairs, and they bleach just like regular.

Also, I am covering grays with this and it works very nicely. Here's my before and after clsoeups on the grays:

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Yes, people have gotten some beautiful colors with hendigo. On the other hand, the indigo always fades off my hair, so I end up with only the henna building up. There is the risk that the beautiful color you get at first might not stick around.

ETA: The top half of my hair in my sig pic is hendigoed. The indigo mostly faded off, so it's basically just my medium brown hair plus 1-2 coats of henna built up. This provides partial coverage of white hairs.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters

Length
    31/Class/term

I was actually thinking of physicschick's hair when I read this post, because she told me she does something that really might be best for your mom: painting the mix only on the greys. Her hair looks 100% natural, not crazy red, not darkened, and the greys are covered.

The best thing about her approach is any variation in the color (I think henndigo tends to be unpredictable) would just end up reading as natural variations. You know how medium brown seems to have so many other colors mixed in. It's okay if you have redder or darker strands as long as all the hair isn't covered.

I think Parijata was doing this with cassia/indigo gloss mixes that didn't have any henna in them at all. She didn't want red highlights.

I'm going to guess that the best mix would be mostly cassia, with a small amount of henna and indigo. The yellow in the cassia, and the tiny bit of red from the henna, neutralizes the blue in the indigo. My first try would be like 75% cassia, 25% henna for the henna part, with indigo added later of course.

Maybe if you do a mix and paint it on her greys, she can have a look and still use her regular dye if she doesn't like it.

mine is posted in a public hair album, you should be able to get to it through my profile. that color was acheived using henna+indigo in 2-step fashion and is quite dark brown (it's not black, although it looks it)

p.s. I'm in the process of growing the indigo out, so the red peeping through is henna alone, for henna+indigo color, just look at the bottom half and ignore the red bits
    Last edited by wintersun99; April 25th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

Length
    16ASL/26BSL/36WST
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Thanks everyone, I have alot of good ideas to help my mom with now.

Im not sure still If I should help her do her hair, she has such unrealistic ideas about what color her hair should be, and I dont want to disappoint her if it doesnt turn out the exact way she has pictured.

Example:She wants her hair to be like her natural color before gray which is a medium brown with red tint and golden highlights, but she hates red hair, and doesnt want red in her hair.How is it possible to have her natural color then?

At the same time she doesnt think her hair is medium brown, she thinks it is a dark blond, therefore she doesnt want it to be too dark and anything over light brown in her opinion is too dark, but her hair is darker than that already.

Every picture I showed her , it was either too dark or too red, even when to me it looked just like her natural color.The only color she did like was several shades lighter than the color she has now minus the gray.

I kept explaining that she cannot go lighter with natural hair color, and even if we used the same mix someone else used her hair would not turn out exactly like that, because it does not change the haircolor like dye, but instead deposits color and works with what you already have.

I told her there was lots of things we could do to combat the orange like coffee and amla etc., but theres nothing I could do to keep her hair from going darker.

I dont know, she is such a pain in the butt sometimes, it seems like she doesnt like anything, everything is always too this or too that. I dont get it, she always asks me for my opinions and help but then she always is so negative about the help I offer.She does this with clothing, make-up, haircare all the time. Its like gosh just stop asking me for help If you think I dont know what I am talking about.

Sorry I just get so irritated with her sometimes.I wish she would just either be happy with her own style and way she does things, or be more openminded when she asks me for help.

Length
    17.5/17.5/17
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

Alaskanheart, it sounds like she wants to do two things: lighten her dark hairs and also cover the grays. One way to do this is - do some honey lightening treatments to lighten the dark hairs. Then cover the grays possibly with something like a henna gloss, which will keep it lighter.

Oh BTW - you can see my honey lightening mix in the Honey Thread, my photos are on Page 23 of the thread, I think...

Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Girltron View Post
    I was actually thinking of physicschick's hair when I read this post, because she told me she does something that really might be best for your mom: painting the mix only on the greys. Her hair looks 100% natural, not crazy red, not darkened, and the greys are covered.

The best thing about her approach is any variation in the color (I think henndigo tends to be unpredictable) would just end up reading as natural variations. You know how medium brown seems to have so many other colors mixed in. It's okay if you have redder or darker strands as long as all the hair isn't covered.
    Thanks for the kind description of my hair. The reason this works for me is because I have so many years worth of hair. I didn't henna the really old hair from when I had less gray (i.e., the lower half). Now I just do roots. I don't have the precision to henna just the regions of my head that are going gray, although come to think of it, I could probably ask DH to skip the nape area because I don't have gray there.

Community Guidelines
    ~ Contact a Mod
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." ~ Ghostbusters