Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is this "stuff" when I scratch my scalp?

Default Re: What is this "stuff" when I scratch my scalp?

Well, our body skin needs exfoliation constantly, and I view our scalps the same way. We just don't see our scalp the same as the rest of our body. Your scalp has feelings too! lol But it's important to exfoliate your whole body; the scalp too!

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    I get this too, I scalp massage every 2-3 days now which really helps. I always end up with a bunch of flakes on the ground. About the texture -- mine is a white/pale yellow color, and it feels oily yet it's solid. If I rub it between my fingers it'll break into smaller pieces.

Sorry if that was TMI ; am I the only one with sebum like this? Or is it normal and okay to have to clean it manually? I CO wash once a week.
    I get sebum like this. But I know I also secrete sebum in a more liquid form. I don't know what causes the hardened bits.
    01/07/2010, now at waist length (30").
    I'm a work in progress.

It's simple. Your scalp has oil ducts, just like the rest of your skin. But not all of your scalp stays moisturized. For instance, you get dry skin on your elbows, knees, or the back of your hand. The same thing happens to your scalp. Try to think of your scalp the same as the rest of your body. Any part that grows hair will behave differently with longer hair. I foundd my legs would get dryer when I allow the hair to grow too long between shavings (lol). So now I try to keep that from happening.

The dry bits in your scalp are where you have dyer skin in the scalp than in other parts of it. Exfoliation actually helps this a lot.

I feel like I'm preaching scalp exfoliation. But the truth is, exfoliation helps the growth of new skin, which in turn helps give healthy hair. It all grows from the scalp, after all. I've been reading up a lot, and that does seem to be a major factor in healthy hair.

Length
    15"/23"/45"
    Type
    1b/M/ii/iii

How would you exfoliate the scalp?

I get these things too, and they increase when the weather becomes colder or dryer, so what Tyrinaniel said seems spot on. They don't itch very much ever since I started doing scalp massages. I use oil (castor/hibiscus or castor/coconut mix) on the scalp and massage it for a while. The stuff gets moisturized and comes 'off' easier. I don't like dry massages very much, I use a water-based herbal product that's doesn't make the length of my hair greasy.
    I haven't heard of scalp exfoliation though, my mom always used oil on my scalp when it was itchy or flakey since I was a kid.

Length
    48 cm/86 cm/100+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

I get them too! I found that semi-daily massage with gentle scratching (not "itch-scratching", more like "rub-scratching" ) with the nails helps to get rid of it.

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    How would you exfoliate the scalp?

I get these things too, and they increase when the weather becomes colder or dryer, so what Tyrinaniel said seems spot on. They don't itch very much ever since I started doing scalp massages. I use oil (castor/hibiscus or castor/coconut mix) on the scalp and massage it for a while. The stuff gets moisturized and comes 'off' easier. I don't like dry massages very much, I use a water-based herbal product that's doesn't make the length of my hair greasy.
    I haven't heard of scalp exfoliation though, my mom always used oil on my scalp when it was itchy or flakey since I was a kid.
    I think oil is a great way to exfoliate your scalp. I have also read on here about a brown sugar scrub, but I have never tried it on my scalp.

This is so what I was looking for. But i have a couple more symptoms. My scalp feels tight and a little painful, like if I move hairs on a sensitive area, it hurts. And at times, there are circular areas that are a light pink color. No visible dandruff, but if my husband scratches, this white-yellowish powder appears all over. Now here I am worried it's product buildup, making me scared more to do a brown sugar scrub with conditioner, afraid I'll get build up from the conditioner, and don't know if it's a dry scalp issue or oily. What have you all found to work, and should I try to avoid conditioner/wash or do more lowpoos or what do you all think. I've been to dermatologists, they never scratch, just look, and say it's all good. So wish someone could help me out!

Length
    chin/waist/TB
    Type
    1c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    This may be a disgusting question, but what texture is yours? Mine's a little powdery, barely any oil to it at all.
    Mine's downright sticky; it's more than a little gross. It's almost pure white, though. My scalp must be REALLY pale...
    Lady Callas of the Mighty Pen in the Order of Long-Haired Knights

Length
    chin/APL/BSL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/i

I get it, too. It doesn't really bother me, though. It's normal.

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Yeah, oil and skin cells. If you have a lot it can be product buildup too, or not rinsing out shampoo/conditioner well enough.