Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Surgery Hair Loss Questions

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Fins
    Type
    2b/M/iii

Unhappy Post Surgery Hair Loss Questions

I am going to be having surgery in about a month from now. It's nothing life-threatening or to remove a tumor or anything along those lines. (More info in my blog.)

While I was being talked to about the operation by someone who had gone through it, she said she had some hair loss after the operation. No baldness or anything like that, but a big shed. I assumed this was primarily due to the restrictive diet of all liquids that she was, and I will have to be, on for four weeks post-op. The liquids are all high protein. While I can still take my vitamins and hair herbal pills (I asked! ), I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to help my hair stay where it is and not shed as bad. I don't want to have to get a big chop after this is all done and have to feel like I am growing all over again (even with a cut of two inches I would feel like that).

Any suggestions? I would really appreciate them and some support. Thanks.

ETA: I know I spelled surgery wrong in the header, sorry.
    ETA 2: Added link to info in my blog.
    Last edited by LittleOrca; November 18th, 2009 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Blog link

Banned
    Type
    1a/C/iii

Default Re: Post Surgury Hair Loss Questions's

I hope all goes well with your operation and that your recovery time is fast and not too painful and inconvenient.

Everyone reacts to medication and dieting differently, so I wouldn't worry prematurely just yet. When it comes it will come and you will deal with it then. Hopefully your shedding will not be as extreme as you fear it to be. Maybe in the meantime just baby your hair extra nicely, and whatever thinning you might experience well take off no more than 2 inches.

Length
    12"/25"/48"
    Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

Hope you'll be okay and recover quickly Orca. Hugs.

I've never had any serious surgery, but not staying in bed too much, (I've heard) can help cuz your head isn't constantly overheated and rubbing against the pillow. Good to know you can still take your hair vits. I'm sure that will help ya.

Length
    23/39/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I've heard that the anesthesia will lead towards some excess shedding, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a silly old wives' tale. I think that post surgery hair loss is a result of the shock the body undergoes. Nothing to do to prevent it, but try and be as healthy as possible before the surgery, and try to recover well. Take any steps to avoid putting your body though any further stress while it heals.

I had some minor surgery in August of this year, but didn't notice any significant shedding.

Just wanted to add, you might want make sure you have some magazines for the hospital, and a bunch of magazines, books, dvd's, etc. waiting for you when you get home. Also, a good multi-vitamin if your doctor is ok with that, you may have some loss of appetite post-surgery and that could lead to shedding.

Good luck, and I hope everything turns out well.
    "But the back seat of the drive-in is so lonely without you"

Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Sorry i don't have any advices but just wanted to give you a BIG TIGHT HUG Hope everything works out fine

"Gorgeous hair is the best revenge"
    Ivana Trump

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

As someone who is still shedding post surgery (post caesarean!) I had the same fears and there was nothing I could do to stop the shed. My hair was thick during pregnancy, and it is scary thin now, but there is new growth coming in so in a few years maybe my hair will look thick again in 5 years or so (as long as it takes for the new growth to reach my nape...)

Hair does grow back, that's what I keep telling myself.

Since your shed, if you have one, WON'T be hormone related, and since I seem to recall your hair is pretty thick anyway, you can probably minimize it with vitamins, good diet, etc.

Do you take Omega fatty acids? I find fish oil to be really good for mood, skin, hair, nails, etc. It has not helped my shedding, but it keeps me on an even keel and keeps my scalp happier. Lately I have started taking extra Biotin in addition to my vitamins for pregnant and nursing moms (I am still nursing) and it seems to help slow the shed.

not much to say but keeping my fingers crossed that you DON'T have a shed...and that everything goes as well as possible with the surgery too, of course!
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    Pixie/TBL/Fins
    Type
    2b/M/iii

There are vitamins that the doctors are telling me to get to control hair loss, such as selenium and flaxseed oil, so I will add those to my vitamin regiment. I am just worried my hair will suffer greatly and I don't need another thing to be focusing on at this time.

I wont be spending much time in bed. They want me up and walking around to make sure I am not forming any blood clots and to make sure I am doing ok. In that aspect my hair wont suffer too bad, especially with my satin cap at my side, but the idea of losing even a little more hair than a normal shed makes me feel uneasy... I guess that just shows I am an LHC member.

Length
    16/55/?
    Type
    1b/F/i

First I'd like to say that I'm sorry you'll have to have surgery but after reading your story I totally understand why and I wish you all the best.

Second, I went through major surgery (removing thyroid cancer) in November-2008 and January-2009 and I had no extra shedding. I realise that these are completely different surgeries but what I want to say is that different people can react very differently to the same thing. *hugs*

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: Post Surgery Hair Loss Questions's

I already posted in your journal, but I wanted to tell you I'm hoping for the best here too

Perhaps something else you could try is scalp oiling with EOs to help reduce shedding?

That and/or Monistat?

I had a pretty big shed after going from BCP to an IUD and the oil helped

Length
    28"/36.5"/Waist
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Post Surgery Hair Loss Questions's

I have had two friends-both nurses, who had your surgery. Both women were in there mid 40's and had no appreciable hair loss. Both took recommended vitamins. One practiced yoga to help relieve stress. She began practicing about a month prior and kept with it afterwords. They are both very vocal advocates for the positive impact the procedure has had on their live and self esteem.

Since it does not impact hormones it should not be as dramatic as some folks post op.

You have a truly wonderful personality and I hope it goes smoothly for you.
    Last edited by pilateschick7; November 18th, 2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: clarity